NBA Season 2020 - RIP Mamba

Relic

49 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Rex was a phenom in high school the likes of which we will never see again.  Apollo HS in Owensboro was sold out for every game.  People would drive from counties away to see him.  Back then, if you heard of a high school player like him; you could only see him live.  There was no internet or highlight reel.

He killed UofL as a freshman in the days when freshmen weren’t expected to do much.  Really did live up to the hype in every way.

I think there’s more than enough in his life story to do a full 30 for 30.

They literally just did an E60 on his story. That's why he's doing the ESPN car wash. I linked Sarah Spain's podcast. He was a feature on Kimes' Daily. And he was on a great many more shows. Very likable, humble and honest dude. 

And his rebirth all started by asking the most basic question in basketball, block or charge? 

7 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

They literally just did an E60 on his story. That's why he's doing the ESPN car wash. I linked Sarah Spain's podcast. He was a feature on Kimes' Daily. And he was on a great many more shows. Very likable, humble and honest dude. 

And his rebirth all started by asking the most basic question in basketball, block or charge? 

But that was just one segment of E60, no?

7 hours ago, Rhom said:

Rex highlights freshman year vs Louisville.

I was back in the states for Rex's freshman year, and a family friend would record the UK games and send us the videotapes, including this game, with the radio feed featuring Cawood Ledford sorta-kinda synced up to the video so we didn't have to endure the garbage spewing from Billy Packer or Dick Vitale, etc.

I remember being unimpressed with Eddie Sutton and thinking that the rest of the Wildcats seemed like stiffs, but Rex...Rex was something else.  He was like Kenny Walker combined with Kyle Macy, but a freshman.  And he was a local kid who was clearly the star player, which had become unusual recently.

The dynamism and excitement of his play was really special, and I don't recall any player at UK until Derek Anderson who actually played with such clear superiority at the college level.

10 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I was back in the states for Rex's freshman year, and a family friend would record the UK games and send us the videotapes, including this game, with the radio feed featuring Cawood Ledford sorta-kinda synced up to the video so we didn't have to endure the garbage spewing from Billy Packer or Dick Vitale, etc.

I remember being unimpressed with Eddie Sutton and thinking that the rest of the Wildcats seemed like stiffs, but Rex...Rex was something else.  He was like Kenny Walker combined with Kyle Macy, but a freshman.  And he was a local kid who was clearly the star player, which had become unusual recently.

The dynamism and excitement of his play was really special, and I don't recall any player at UK until Derek Anderson who actually played with such clear superiority at the college level.

I’ll see your Derek Anderson and raise you a Jamal Mashburn!   :lol:

Anderson is one of my great “what ifs” though.  Still believe he could have played the title game in 97 (or even just the overtime!) and we have a three peat.

Pretty sickening to hear two NBA players now come out with interviews telling us that about a third of the league is living paycheck to paycheck when many of their fans probably support an entire family all year for what they make in a week or two.

Wtf, quit whining, really.

1 hour ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Pretty sickening to hear two NBA players now come out with interviews telling us that about a third of the league is living paycheck to paycheck when many of their fans probably support an entire family all year for what they make in a week or two.

Watch the 30 for 30: Broke. 

1 hour ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Some NBA players absolutely live extremely extravagant lifestyles and burn through money that could set them and their kids up for life. However, there's a lot of players that, while they do live very comfortably, are also supporting a huge number of people financially. It's not just buying a nice house for their parents; its giving money to their siblings, to their friends, family friends, etc. (And that's not counting all the random hangers-on the entourage, that I chalk up as extravagance). Its hard to turn off that financial support to people you're close to; especially if they don't have other means of support because there's a pandemic and recession going on.

I think it’s hard to grasp sometimes the scale of things.

My wife and I both make about $100k/year.  The governor of my state shut down my office on March 20.  We are certainly better equipped than most to deal with it, and I would never ask for sympathy when we still have her good income... but our budget is based around two good incomes.  The sudden, unexpected loss still affects our family greatly.

Its easy to judge a 20 something guy making easily 10x that; but he is used to having the money to meet that lifestyle. :dunno: 

9 hours ago, Rhom said:

I think it’s hard to grasp sometimes the scale of things.

My wife and I both make about $100k/year.  The governor of my state shut down my office on March 20.  We are certainly better equipped than most to deal with it, and I would never ask for sympathy when we still have her good income... but our budget is based around two good incomes.  The sudden, unexpected loss still affects our family greatly.

Its easy to judge a 20 something guy making easily 10x that; but he is used to having the money to meet that lifestyle. :dunno: 

What lifestyle? Everyone is at home watching Netflix and eating frozen pizza. 

Someone isnt getting sympathy for being an extravagant douche surely? 

4 hours ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

The Horse Challenge looks like it's being recorded on an iPhone.

I don't have ESPN, but I did see the clip of LaVine hitting from off his home court. Is it just players' family members filming, or do they have a crew in there at a distance?

What happens if the Dream Team, instead of making their bow in the 1992 Barcelona Games, instead debuts four years earlier, in the 1988 Seoul Olympics?

Who is in your 1988 Dream Team 13-man lineup?  

Centers:

K. Abdul-Jabbar

M. Malone

P. Ewing (Final cut to get down to 12)

Forwards:

L. Bird

C. Barkley

A. English

K. McHale

J. Worthy

Guards:

E. Johnson

D. Wilkins

C. Drexler

M. Jordan

M. Cheeks

I would pay so much money to see this team in action.

First and second teams that year were

MJ Barkley Hakeem Bird Magic

Malone Ewing Stockton Wilkins Drexler. 

So not much difference to 92 team except Magic and Bird were closer to their peaks. 

I guess you take Thomas and Kareem (by now he is more of a legacy pick though) to make it 12. 

Archived