Is the faith of the seven going to suffer a schism?

Alyn Oakenfist

So if you think about it the Sparrow movement is very similar with the Reformation (a focus on the smallfolk as well as the rejection of the opulent). Now the question is, are the elites just going to put up with it, or is a counter reformation going to happen due to a part of the church (supported by the Iron Throne) fighting against the Sparrows and trying to reestablish the old order?

52 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

So if you think about it the Sparrow movement is very similar with the Reformation (a focus on the smallfolk as well as the rejection of the opulent). Now the question is, are the elites just going to put up with it, or is a counter reformation going to happen due to a part of the church (supported by the Iron Throne) fighting against the Sparrows and trying to reestablish the old order?

I’m surprised there hasn’t been one yet, what with regional variations, differences over what the center of the Faith is between Oldtown and King’s Landing. I wonder if there are any variations with the Faith in White Harbor in particular.

6 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

The reformists have essentially elected the new pope, so they are now the new church establishment. I think it's unlikely that the former establishment will create their own church, which is what a schism is. If anything, they will retake the Great Sept by force and then fight another long war to disarm the faith militant, which would still leave the south with one church.

The only question is whether the elites will do this right away or wait until the common folk grow tired of the puritanism of the reformists. Popular support will be a big factor in who wins.

Archived