ASOIAF nicknames: The Sinister Truth

Eternally_Theirs

I thought about the nicknames in the ASOIAF and I've figured out the sinister truth behind some of them.

Robb Stark was called 'The Young Wolf' because he never grew old and a wolf's head was stitched to his neck.
Roose Bolton was called 'The Leech Lord' because he leeched Robb's life force out of him.
Brynden Rivers is called 'Bloodraven' because he ate the weirwood mixed with blood in order to increase his ability
Any person who has a nickname with 'bane' in it earned said nickname because they killed a person/thing that their nickname refers to.
Gregor is called 'Robert Strong' because he is made out of Gregor's body and Robert/Robb's head, depending on which theory you believe.

I will add more examples if I remember any. Feel free to add more examples yourselves.

57 minutes ago, DR Supporter said:

I thought about the nicknames in the ASOIAF and I've figured out the sinister truth behind some of them.

Robb Stark was called 'The Young Wolf' because he never grew old and a wolf's head was stitched to his neck.
Roose Bolton was called 'The Leech Lord' because he leeched Robb's life force out of him.
Brynden Rivers is called 'Bloodraven' because he ate the weirwood mixed with blood in order to increase his ability
Any person who has a nickname with 'bane' in it earned said nickname because they killed a person/thing that their nickname refers to.
Gregor is called 'Robert Strong' because he is made out of Gregor's body and Robert/Robb's head, depending on which theory you believe.

I will add more examples if I remember any. Feel free to add more examples yourselves.

Some of them are very straight forward - Jaime is "Kingslayer" because he killed a king, I like the symbolism with Roose but he also leeches himself quite often. I LOVE the Bloodraven one - I had never thought of that. 

Hopefully Walder is 'The Late Lord Frey' because he will very soon be late, as in dead. 

I'll have to look up some nicknames & get back with you. 

Maybe Euron is the Crow's Eye because he is the Three-Eyed Crow's third eye, while the 3EC is Shiera Seastar (Quaithe's real identity).

Varys is the Spider probably because he is grandson of Rohanne Webber-Lannister whose nickname was the Red Widow (like black widow spider). Rohanne probably is the Ghost of Hight Heart, and Jenny of Oldstones was her daughter and Varys' mother (the father is probably Maelys the Monstrous, who probably kidnapped Jenny during burning of Summerhall).

2 hours ago, Megorova said:

Maybe Euron is the Crow's Eye because he is the Three-Eyed Crow's third eye, while the 3EC is Shiera Seastar (Quaithe's real identity).

Varys is the Spider probably because he is grandson of Rohanne Webber-Lannister whose nickname was the Red Widow (like black widow spider). Rohanne probably is the Ghost of Hight Heart, and Jenny of Oldstones was her daughter and Varys' mother (the father is probably Maelys the Monstrous, who probably kidnapped Jenny during burning of Summerhall).

Actually, 3EC=Bloodraven.

1 hour ago, DR Supporter said:

Actually, 3EC=Bloodraven.

No, Bloodraven is not the 3EC. Though let's return to discussion of this topic after release of TWOW, when in Bran's chapters it will become apparent that Bloodraven is not the 3EC, and thus someone else is the 3EC, and then, by the time when ADOS will be released, readers will finally figure out that the 3EC is actually Shiera Seastar.

20 minutes ago, Megorova said:

No, Bloodraven is not the 3EC. Though let's return to discussion of this topic after release of TWOW, when in Bran's chapters it will become apparent that Bloodraven is not the 3EC, and thus someone else is the 3EC, and then, by the time when ADOS will be released, readers will finally figure out that the 3EC is actually Shiera Seastar.

Check the first entry on this page is all I will say.

12 hours ago, DR Supporter said:

Arya Horseface because she has a head shape like a horse's.  Conspicuously long, like a yellow squash really. 

On 1/27/2020 at 1:51 PM, DR Supporter said:

I believe calling someone “the Young Something” is a bad omen: not only Robb, but also Daeron I Targaryen, the Young Dragon, was murdered when he was really  young. We’ll see what happens with Young Griff.

I once read a post (not sure if it was written by @Seams) about the symbolism of the colour red, which seems to be associated with death. When it comes to nicknames linked to this colour, we have to consider the Red Kraken: he was Ironborn and he was killed by his salt wife. Maybe the Red Oarsman will share the same fate.

2 hours ago, Gingin said:

I believe calling someone “the Young Something” is a bad omen: not only Robb, but also Daeron I Targaryen, the Young Dragon, was murdered when he was really  young. We’ll see what happens with Young Griff.

I once read a post (not sure if it was written by @Seams) about the symbolism of the colour red, which seems to be associated with death. When it comes to nicknames linked to this colour, we have to consider the Red Kraken: he was Ironborn and he was killed by his salt wife. Maybe the Red Oarsman will share the same fate.

There is also the Red Wedding, named that for the blood of its many victims, as well as the Purple Wedding, named so for its victim turning purple.

On 1/27/2020 at 1:51 PM, DR Supporter said:

Damphair: tWoW sample :crying:

Shitmouth will die in a latrine ditch? 

The golden twins will get the Viserys-treatment?

I think Little bird for Sansa is quite classic. She starts out as a naive preteen, believing in fairytales and an idealistic world,"repeating all the pretty little words they taught you to recite.” But later "little bird" also becomes symbolic for how vulnerable and trapped she is in KL. A caged Little bird. But this little bird is still alive and birds obviously also can fly :) 

7 hours ago, Sigella said:

Damphair: tWoW sample :crying:

Shitmouth will die in a latrine ditch? 

The golden twins will get the Viserys-treatment?

Thank you so much for mentioning Shitmouth.  I saw this thread title, and hurriedly read through it, in a near panic as it seemed no one I thought to mention the single best nickname in the whole series... but you have restored my faith in humanity.

Archived