MLB 2020: This One’s For Kobe

Myshkin

2 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

If teams like the Dodgers and Yankees are gonna subsidize teams like the Marlins and Orioles let’s at least make sure that money is being put back on the fucking field, rather than going directly into some cheapskate owners bank account.

Fans of All Large Market Teams, Unite!

1 hour ago, Myshkin said:

Yep, give these dickbags with $30mm payrolls a shot a title and pretty soon nobody’s gonna want to put money on the field. 

If you really want to encourage competitiveness, here’s an idea; institute a salary floor. Some of these teams are in the black before they sell a single ticket due to revenue sharing. If teams like the Dodgers and Yankees are gonna subsidize teams like the Marlins and Orioles let’s at least make sure that money is being put back on the fucking field, rather than going directly into some cheapskate owners bank account.

I read an article years ago on ESPN calling for a salary floor using the Pirates as an example, they made $70m before selling a goddamned ticket.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

I absolutely understand why Hal & Co wanted to get under the threshold so bad.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Fans of small market teams should want a salary floor even more than fans of large market teams. Imagine being a Marlins fan and watching your $30-$40mm payroll team suck every year while the owners pull in $70-$80mm of revenue sharing alone every year.

4 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Fans of small market teams should want a salary floor even more than fans of large market teams.

No doubt.  I live and frequent bars full of resentful fans in Pittsburgh.

15 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

Nothing riles us up like a good salary floor discussion!

If you ever wanna commiserate crying in your beer down at any bar at the Waterfront, hit me up via PM.  Or Oakland, I guess, but assuming you wanna stay away from there.  Southside and Squirrel Hill too, but meh.

Red Sox name Ron Roenicke their new interim manager. They say the “interim” will be dropped after the MLB investigation into their sign stealing is completed. Which says to me that the Sawks thinks there’s at least a possibility that Roenicke will be named in the MLB’s report.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Thoughts on the newly implemented three batter rule for pitchers? 

Meh, old news. The only interesting thing out of the rules change announcement is that apparently the home plate umpire will be the one who gets to decide whether or not a pitcher can come out due to injury before facing three batters. 

It's BS. Do pinch hitters need to play a position for their half of the inning when they come in? Regardless of the reasons for implementing this - speeding up the game, rules committee is a bag of dicks etc, it takes away strategic management and match ups in tight games.

(I say this without doing any digging into the rule beyond a headline I saw)

Baseball is a game of statistics that are used in decision making from the front office down to the dugout in games. This just takes that aspect and says FU.

So the Astros big apology extravaganza went well today. I guess when Jim Crane said that the Astros were gonna come out as a team and issue a full-throated apology, what he meant was that Dusty Baker(?) was going to apologize.

LOL, watching a clip of Bregman talking to reporters and spouting a line about ball players being human beings and human beings make mistakes, and in the background you can hear another player (Altuve I think) saying pretty much the EXACT SAME THING. Way to speak from the heart guys.

1 hour ago, Myshkin said:

LOL, watching a clip of Bregman talking to reporters and spouting a line about ball players being human beings and human beings make mistakes, and in the background you can hear another player (Altuve I think) saying pretty much the EXACT SAME THING. Way to speak from the heart guys.

Every MLB team should supply trash cans and drumsticks to all the fans sitting behind the visitors dugout to bang when the Astros are in town.

2 hours ago, Myshkin said:

Oh also, former pitcher Mike Bolsinger, who got lit up by the Astros in his last appearance in the bigs, is suing them. The case probably won’t go anywhere, but it could get real interesting if it makes it to the discovery stage.

13 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Oh also, former pitcher Mike Bolsinger, who got lit up by the Astros in his last appearance in the bigs, is suing them. The case probably won’t go anywhere, but it could get real interesting if it makes it to the discovery stage.

There are reasons why the PR team had scripts for them. I’m not sure which player said it, but one admitted that he/they understand that their actions ruined people’s careers and lives. I’d think his lawyer could use that to establish that even the Astros cheaters knew about the emotional and financial damages they inflicted on his client.

Bill Plaschke published an article today about how Rob Manfred’s shady handling of the Astros scandal is more damaging to baseball than the actual Astros scandal.

So yeah, thanks a lot Astros and MLB for putting me on the same side as Bill fucking Plaschke.

The Astros are not going to give up the 2017 WS and MLB doesn't want to take it from them.  So they have to choreograph some explanation for why the title was legitimate.  There aren't a lot of great options, but "we were a good team" is a poor effort nonetheless.  Reading the transcript of that non-apology, I definitely felt like they deserve to have the title stripped, or at least asterisked.  Is that fair?  I don't know, but cheating obviously gave them an advantage or they wouldn't have done it. 

If the end result is that cheaters get to keep their illegitimate spoils, then every other team should think hard about whether cheating is worth it to them too.  It obviously worked out great for the owner.  Maybe less so for the managers, but they still made their money and got their victory parades and all that.  The players?  Several of them cashed in thanks to their 2017 postseason.  On the whole, the Astros were the huge winner of this whole cheating scandal, and the losers were the rest of the league, the fans, baseball etc. 

Archived