MLB 2020: This One’s For Kobe

Myshkin

He didn’t play baseball, but he was a legendary sportsman. RIP Black Mamba, you will be missed.

Back to the MLB; Reds sign Castellanos to 4yr/$64mm contract, with opt outs after each of the first 2 yrs.

The Reds are trying. NL Central continues to be a baffling division. I have absolutely no idea who's gonna win 92 or 76 games there. Cards seem fully content, and I feel like it could steer them to a 3rd place finish, but that's how I felt basically all last season and they limped their way to the NLCS somehow.

Cubs, Brewers, and Reds all seem similarly "WTF, who knows?" and poor Pirates fans are watching their team get dismantled yet again. 

16 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

The Reds are trying. NL Central continues to be a baffling division. I have absolutely no idea who's gonna win 92 or 76 games there. Cards seem fully content, and I feel like it could steer them to a 3rd place finish, but that's how I felt basically all last season and they limped their way to the NLCS somehow.

Cubs, Brewers, and Reds all seem similarly "WTF, who knows?" and poor Pirates fans are watching their team get dismantled yet again. 

Yeah, the NL Central is a weird place, and the Cubs are the weirdest part of it. Just a couple of years ago they looked to be at the beginning of a dynastic run, yet now they’re barely competitive, are bizarrely crying poor, and are looking to ship out the superstar who was supposed to carry them for a decade. 

That's a lot of money for Castellanos.  He's kinda platoon hitter - look up his career split, he crushes lefties but is decidedly average against righties.  Plus he pretty much really sucks at fielding no matter where he's playing.

D-backs get Starling Marte from Pirates for a pair of prospects. The return should be a little worrying for Bucs fans, as even though both prospects are thought to have high ceilings, neither has yet played above Low A ball, which says something about how far out the Pirates view their window of contention to be.

41 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

D-backs get Starling Marte from Pirates for a pair of prospects. The return should be a little worrying for Bucs fans, as even though both prospects are thought to have high ceilings, neither has yet played above Low A ball, which says something about how far out the Pirates view their window of contention to be.

This was kind of expected, but I at least thought they'd shoot to get something back close to the major league level, not rookie league. I think this move drops the Buccos payroll down to $58 million for the upcoming season, which is all you really need to know about how the next several years are going to be. We'll hear the same song and dance about "payroll flexibility". Funnily enough, the sports report is just now on, and the exact words about the  $10 million in payroll savings were that they would be reallocated back into the team in either 2020 or past that, after they look opportunistically at when it will be the best time to put the money back into the team to give them the best chance to win. So that really means the answer is never...fucking Bob Nutting.

So looks like Baker has been officially hired by the Astros.  I will always have a soft spot for Baker due to my affinity for the Giants, but that seems like a pretty weird hire for how Houston conducts business.  You'd assume they'd try to find another young guy that can interpret the analytics and translate it to performance on the field through communicating with the players.  The emergent model across most of the top teams with the manager as the crucial intermediate, basically.  I suppose maybe they couldn't identify any candidates of that sort that were still available, but Baker is quite the relic.

I too have a soft spot for Baker because, despite a managerial stint with the enemy, he was a hell of a Dodger, and will always remain so. I’m gonna guess the Astros hired him precisely because he’s an old school guy. After their failures in management at every level, it’s a good look for them hiring a guy who a) has a reputation for commanding respect in his clubhouse, and b) isn’t seen as the type of person who would quietly accede to the demands of what is by and large the same shady front office that caused this mess. My guess is he’ll manage for a year or two at the most, and once the heat dies down a little, will be replaced by another Hinch type.

https://sports.yahoo.com/inside-one-astros-fan-quest-to-do-the-unthinkable-prove-his-team-cheated-sign-stealing-155724616.html

What followed is perhaps the most methodical dive into the Astros’ sign-stealing scandal we’ve seen, and certainly the most methodical by an Astros fan. He listened to every pitch to an Astros batter in 58 home games, every game he could find audio for in 2017. That was 8,274 pitches he scoured, trying to find the banging noise that Astros hitters used to signal to their teammates in their now infamous cheating scheme. He spent 50 hours doing this, each one stripping away a bit of pride he had about that 2017 Astros championship. He found more than 1,100 bangs.

3 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

I read a story on the Athletic about this guy. That one went a little more into his emotional state, about how rough things were for him after Hurricane Harvey, when the Astros kept him going. I really felt for this guy and admire his willingness to dig into his team's dirt.

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Betts to the Dodgers? The hell is that gonna cost?

Probably not much. Everyone knows the Sox are over a barrel with their determination to get under the luxury tax and Mookie's certainty to go into free agency. I am hoping there's a secret plan to throw ridiculous money at him when he is a free agent and bring him back. I heard that David Price was also part of the deal, which would be awesome.

I would also rather he go to the Dodgers than any other team.

18 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Betts to the Dodgers? The hell is that gonna cost?

Depends on whether or not Price is part of the deal. If he is, probably just one good prospect. Keibert Ruiz or Josiah Gray, depending on what the Red Sox are looking for. They’ll get more if Price isn’t part of the deal. Dodgers also might be looking to send Pollock back to offset some of the cost.

I am dreading the news of a Betts trade. One of the most talented and likable players in the league to be traded for cost-cutting purposes. It's embarrassing. I recognize that the team fucked itself (thanks Dombrowski!) -- but there has to be a better play. Even if the cost is huge of no-deal, it seems like the potential return of a WS-bound team would offset it. Whereas, the cost of trading a player like Mookie Betts ... and then missing the playoffs again ... not a good narrative. Even if the dollars make more "sense" from a team perspective.

Archived