MLB 2020: This One’s For Kobe

Myshkin

1 hour ago, Week said:

I am dreading the news of a Betts trade. One of the most talented and likable players in the league to be traded for cost-cutting purposes. It's embarrassing. I recognize that the team fucked itself (thanks Dombrowski!) -- but there has to be a better play. Even if the cost is huge of no-deal, it seems like the potential return of a WS-bound team would offset it. Whereas, the cost of trading a player like Mookie Betts ... and then missing the playoffs again ... not a good narrative. Even if the dollars make more "sense" from a team perspective.

I feel there's no excuse for the Sox to lose a great player because of money. But it also doesn't seem like he would have re-signed. He wants to hit the open market, and doesn't seem to feel that sentimental about sticking in Boston. At this point I'm hoping he gets sent to the Dodgers, helps them win a Series, and then ages like Ellsbury after that.

Gotta imagine the Dodgers are taking on all of Price's contract, right?  To get Betts?  This seems strangely familiar.  I like how the Dodgers have become the Sox's reliable outlet when the latter wants to save money.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Gotta imagine the Dodgers are taking on all of Price's contract, right?  To get Betts?  This seems strangely familiar.  I like how the Dodgers have become the Sox's reliable outlet when the latter wants to save money.

Yeah, even if I hadn't been a Dodger fan as a kid, I'd be kindly disposed to them just for eating the Carl Crawford contract.

Guess it's done, pending medical reviews. Betts and Price to LA, Alex Verdugo to Boston, along with a "prospect with major league service time from a third team" according to this article:

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-red-sox/2020/02/04/red-sox-dodgers-mookie-betts-david-price-trade

Go Dodgers.

52 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Yeah, even if I hadn't been a Dodger fan as a kid, I'd be kindly disposed to them just for eating the Carl Crawford contract.

Truth.

Anyway, I like Verdugo. I really don't like Martin Perez as a 5th starter and now he's the 4th starter, no? Sale and especially Eovaldi aren't great bets to pitch 180 innings let alone 200 ... That pitcher staff is going to be ugly unless a lot breaks right.

Eta- Brusdar Graterol coming too (Maeda to the Twins - which I like for them) - anyway 50FV relief prospect. Our cup overfloweth. 

Dodgers will be sending Kenta Maeda to the Twins, with the Twins sending pitching prospect Brusdar Graterol to the Sawks. Sawks will be paying down a “significant” portion of Price’s contract. Gotta say I’m surprised at the return Boston is getting. 

In other Dodger news, Joc Pederson is being shipped across town to the Angels for some guy.

12 hours ago, Week said:

Eta- Brusdar Graterol coming too (Maeda to the Twins - which I like for them) - anyway 50FV relief prospect. Our cup overfloweth. 

I hate it. We gave up our best pitching prospect for an old dude who got relegated to the bullpen.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I hate it. We gave up our best pitching prospect for an old dude who got relegated to the bullpen.

Consensus around the league is that Graterol is almost certainly a reliever in the long run. And Maeda is underrated. Dude is a solid rotation piece, and he makes an already good Twins team even better.

I’m actually a bit worried about the Dodgers’ pitching depth now. We let Ryu fly off to Canada, we shipped Maeda off to almost-Canada, and now it appears we’ll be sending Stripling over to those fakers in Orange County in the Pederson deal. 

Hey, the salary dump trade in baseball is a Pittsburgh thing! David Price is only $17 million away in salary from matching what the Pirates opening day payroll is shaping up to be. With big time acquisitions of players batting .194 and .214 this offseason, the Bucs are sure to make a splash in the NL Central cellar...

2 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

Hey, the salary dump trade in baseball is a Pittsburgh thing! David Price is only $17 million away in salary from matching what the Pirates opening day payroll is shaping up to be.

Oh that reminds me, Sawks will be paying down Price’s contract to the tune of around $50mm.

9 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Oh that reminds me, Sawks will be paying down Price’s contract to the tune of around $50mm.

This is the part that rankles more. Price at ~$15 million for the next three years isn't a bad deal. And in a less psychotic market than Boston maybe he'll be less of a whiny brat.

You guys better win this year...

4 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

This is the part that rankles more. Price at ~$15 million for the next three years isn't a bad deal. And in a less psychotic market than Boston maybe he'll be less of a whiny brat.

You guys better win this year...

We can hope that he leaves his dumb bullshit in Boston where it belongs. We can also hope that pitching at Dodger stadium will be good for his numbers. But yeah, I agree, at $15mm a year it’s not a bad contract.

1 minute ago, Myshkin said:

We can hope that he leaves his dumb bullshit in Boston where it belongs. We can also hope that pitching at Dodger stadium will be good for his numbers. But yeah, I agree, at $15mm a year it’s not a bad contract.

However well Price does in the regular season, don't look for post season heroics. As a Toronto guy, just saying.

2 minutes ago, maarsen said:

However well Price does in the regular season, don't look for post season heroics. As a Toronto guy, just saying.

He was good in 2018 and got so smug about it. I'd laugh my ass off if he reverted to form again. More of his Resentful Muppet monologues to the press would be high comedy.

14 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

He was good in 2018 and got so smug about it. I'd laugh my ass off if he reverted to form again. More of his Resentful Muppet monologues to the press would be high comedy.

If he were to pick a fight with say, Fernando, I think we’ll find the Dodger players are less likely to stand with him than the Sawks players were. 

6 hours ago, Myshkin said:

Apparently something in Graterol’s medicals is holding up the Betts deal, which in turn is holding up the Joc deal. Shifty Twinkies, if you guys blow this for us I’m gonna be mad.

I would guess that the Dodgers are going to throw in an A-ball prospect and call it a day. I don't expect the deal to fall apart -- although maybe it gives the Sox a chance to pull back the trade after seeing the backlash. There's just gotta be a better way forward than to deal the 2nd best player in baseball for pennies on the dollar.

41 minutes ago, Week said:

I would guess that the Dodgers are going to throw in an A-ball prospect and call it a day. I don't expect the deal to fall apart -- although maybe it gives the Sox a chance to pull back the trade after seeing the backlash. There's just gotta be a better way forward than to deal the 2nd best player in baseball for pennies on the dollar.

Either the Dodgers or the Twins. Or seeing as how desperate the Sawks are to unload these contracts, they’ll just take what’s already on the table. It does strike me as weird that the Sawks are balking because they now see Graterol as a reliever, when apparently everyone else in baseball already saw him as a reliever.

12 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Either the Dodgers or the Twins. Or seeing as how desperate the Sawks are to unload these contracts, they’ll just take what’s already on the table. It does strike me as weird that the Sawks are balking because they now see Graterol as a reliever, when apparently everyone else in baseball already saw him as a reliever.

From what I've heard, the concern is that his medicals suggest he would not hold up to the reps to be a starter let alone have the ability to be a starter. Which is a bit of a weird nitpick -- if he doesn't have the the stuff to be a starter (3+ pitches or two A+ pitches) then what does it matter if he can't hold up to the innings? Dunno. It's weird. I hope that the Sawks' ownership is not enjoying getting shit on for being cheap bastards. Pay the fucking tax, field a competitive team, and it'll work out long term. Short term profitibility might take a hit ... which may be the case if they make this trade and risk hurting the on field product and test (to a degree) the loyalty of the fanbase.

I said before -- I am NOT happy with Martin Perez as a 5th stater. Especially on a team with Sale, Eovaldi, and E-Rod who are all huge injury risks. Oh wait, now he's the 4th starter in that same situation. Man, this season could get ugly fast. The feckless manager search reinforces that view -- nobody wants to come in to this situation with the risk of a one and done mark on their resume IMO.

Archived