MLB 2020: This One’s For Kobe

Myshkin

20 hours ago, Myshkin said:

Apparently something in Graterol’s medicals is holding up the Betts deal, which in turn is holding up the Joc deal. Shifty Twinkies, if you guys blow this for us I’m gonna be mad.

Muhahahahahaha!!!!!

While I'm getting excited for the season to start, even with all the goings on/cheating/trades etc, I am definitely not excited for Nats fans and hangers-on. Ugh.

Trying to pick seats to see the Gigantes in LA and found this neat article. It's a 1pm game and having dealt with skin cancer once already (basal cell carcinoma on my face) I'm definitely looking for shade. We're looking at the Brewers the following evening as well.

https://www.latimes.com/projects/la-sp-dodger-stadium-shadiest-seats/

Watching the Red Sox trip all over themselves with this Betts deal (which I guarantee they're waffling on because they were somehow surprised by the blowback from trading away the best homegrown player the team has seen in a couple of generations) is like picking a scab just so you can pour some lemon juice on it.

For an ownership group that regularly spends to stay competitive and has brought a championship once every four years or so they are surprisingly loathed and mistrusted by the local fans, and I can't say it's unjustified.

People (read MLBPA) are starting to get seriously pissed off about the hold up in the Betts trade (which in turn is holding up the Pederson trade). If the Sawks are really stalling to try to get a better return after the blowback they got (which it kinda seems like they are) they’re gonna end up in some deep shit with the league.

In Astros news:

New reporting in the Wall Street Journal shows that Jeff Luhnow knew a hell of a lot more about the sign stealing scheme than he’s admitting to. Also that the scheme originated in the front office, not with the players.

AJ Hinch went on MLBNetwork and performed his mea culpas. He also refused to flat out deny that the Astros used buzzers.

The Astros are set to sign probably the top international prospect of 20-21 signing period for $4mm. So there’s that.

Betts deal seems to finally be back on, in a new form. Now the Sawks will be getting Verdugo, Jeter Downs, and catching prospect Connor Wong from the Dodgers. The Dodgers will still be sending Maeda to the Twins, and getting Graterol back for themselves. This is all supposing that the Sawks don’t balk again upon finding out that none of the guys they’re getting are starting pitchers.

2 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Betts deal seems to finally be back on, in a new form. Now the Sawks will be getting Verdugo, Jeter Downs, and catching prospect Connor Wong from the Dodgers. The Dodgers will still be sending Maeda to the Twins, and getting Graterol back for themselves. This is all supposing that the Sawks don’t balk again upon finding out that none of the guys they’re getting are starting pitchers.

How much do you know about the two additional guys the Dodgers are giving up?

12 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

How much do you know about the two additional guys the Dodgers are giving up?

Nothing really about Wong. We got Downs in the Puig trade with the Reds, and he’s now a top 10 SS prospect. Doesn’t grade out to be a star, but could be a nice everyday player.

1 hour ago, Myshkin said:

Nothing really about Wong. We got Downs in the Puig trade with the Reds, and he’s now a top 10 SS prospect. Doesn’t grade out to be a star, but could be a nice everyday player.

Thanks. I've now seen a post-trade report with some analysis. Seem like fine prospects. Bogaerts has SS locked down but Lord knows Pedroia ain't coming back to play 2nd. They really do need a catcher prospect. Still really ridiculous of Sox ownership to have had to trade Mookie away.

I wish him all the success in LA. 

1 hour ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

So MLB might be expanding the playoffs again. I understand why it was done last time but this is just stupid. I hope this is wrong. 

https://trib.al/rtx3Vuw

It's so fucking stupid. MLB plays a 162 game schedule. Why are they trying to devalue that?

If you apply it to last year, the Red Sox, Indians, Mets and Cubs all make the playoffs and there's zero September drama. Every team with a winning record is now in the postseason. And because the Astros and Dodgers ran away with the best record in each league, there's barely any incentive for anyone else as they all know they're stuck in this pseudo WC round. Sure you get home games in the playoffs but how much does that really matter? 

Since they've added the 2nd WC, MLB arrived at the perfect balance between a still meaningful regular season while providing hope for, and keeping engaged, a good number of fanbases. Be dumb as hell to mess with it. Plus the single elimination do-or-die WC game makes it a clear step down value-wise from winning the division. 

The only thing I like is the notion of highest seeded playoff team getting to pick its opponent. I think all sports should adopt this. It's not only an additional reward for the higher seed, the animosity and drama it'll create will be off the charts. New rivalries will be fed. It'll be glorious. 

So MLB might be expanding the playoffs again. I understand why it was done last time but this is just stupid. I hope this is wrong. 

https://trib.al/rtx3Vuw

Just the dumbest idea ever. Now we’re gonna get losing teams in the playoffs. The first time a sub-.500 team wins the WS (which will happen under this proposed system) winning a championship will lose pretty much all value.

Apparently Trever Bauer’s not happy about the new postseason proposal either. Here’s what he had to say:

”No idea who made this new playoff format proposal, but Rob is responsible for releasing it, so I’ll direct this to you, Rob Manfred. Your proposal is absurd for too many reasons to type on twitter and proves you have absolutely no clue about baseball. You’re a joke.”

10 hours ago, Myshkin said:

Apparently Trever Bauer’s not happy about the new postseason proposal either. Here’s what he had to say:

”No idea who made this new playoff format proposal, but Rob is responsible for releasing it, so I’ll direct this to you, Rob Manfred. Your proposal is absurd for too many reasons to type on twitter and proves you have absolutely no clue about baseball. You’re a joke.”

Dear God I actually like something Trevor Bauer did on social media.

13 hours ago, Myshkin said:

Didi Gregorious, bless his heart said something too. As for your second comment, the playoffs already have little value as it is. I get adding the second wild card but this is just terrible. It will end the second a sub .500 wins the World Series.

3 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Dear God I actually like something Trevor Bauer did on social media.

Yeah, he's a problematic douchebag but I agree with that. Broken clocks and such.

14 hours ago, Jaime L said:

It's so fucking stupid. MLB plays a 162 game schedule. Why are they trying to devalue that?

If you apply it to last year, the Red Sox, Indians, Mets and Cubs all make the playoffs and there's zero September drama. Every team with a winning record is now in the postseason. And because the Astros and Dodgers ran away with the best record in each league, there's barely any incentive for anyone else as they all know they're stuck in this pseudo WC round. Sure you get home games in the playoffs but how much does that really matter? 

Since they've added the 2nd WC, MLB arrived at the perfect balance between a still meaningful regular season while providing hope for, and keeping engaged, a good number of fanbases. Be dumb as hell to mess with it. Plus the single elimination do-or-die WC game makes it a clear step down value-wise from winning the division. 

The only thing I like is the notion of highest seeded playoff team getting to pick its opponent. I think all sports should adopt this. It's not only an additional reward for the higher seed, the animosity and drama it'll create will be off the charts. New rivalries will be fed. It'll be glorious. 

This is just going to encourage low spending teams to continue what they've been doing. And giving the best team a bye for a week is almost putting them at a disadvantage.

This is just going to encourage low spending teams to continue what they've been doing. And giving the best team a bye for a week is almost putting them at a disadvantage.

Yep, give these dickbags with $30mm payrolls a shot a title and pretty soon nobody’s gonna want to put money on the field. 

If you really want to encourage competitiveness, here’s an idea; institute a salary floor. Some of these teams are in the black before they sell a single ticket due to revenue sharing. If teams like the Dodgers and Yankees are gonna subsidize teams like the Marlins and Orioles let’s at least make sure that money is being put back on the fucking field, rather than going directly into some cheapskate owners bank account.

Archived