MLB 2020: This One’s For Kobe

Myshkin

54 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Whenever MLB returns will people remember how much they want to hate on the Astros or will they feel like it's too divisive post-COVID?

NEVER forget!

Man, I miss baseball. I miss the anticipation looking up at the stadium I love. I miss seeing every walk of life mingling around. I miss the smell of assorted junk food wafting over it all. I miss that first moment emerging from a tunnel to see the field and just how close (or far for some of us) our seats are to the team. How the sport just sounds different live than on a screen. When my team gives up a big early lead so I feel comfortable walking halfway around the stadium to meet friends in another section, only to see us tie it and scurry back to mine. I really miss that hazy 8th inning when you remember missing last call, and trying to decide whether to slam the last beer while it's kind of cold, or try to keep it awhile because the score is tied and it doesn't look like anyone's scoring for another hour.

Okay, that was silly. I spend 99.5% of my baseball time reading or arguing about my team online. I miss saying "Fuck the Cubs!" whether they actually just beat us or were simply still existing.

Fuck the Giants! I hope every one of them and their families are safe and healthy, but also that they lose every game from here until the end of time because they have all sold their souls to the Beast (Juan Marichal) and thus deserve unending failure.

Man that felt good.

1 hour ago, Myshkin said:

Noah Syndergaard to have TJ surgery.

Sounds like an elective surgery if I've ever heard of one. He going to China to get it done? Heh.

@DireWolfSpirit

Ozzie was the man. They should have just gone ahead and renamed the Golden Glove after him.

On 3/24/2020 at 5:35 PM, Ran said:

Sounds like an elective surgery if I've ever heard of one. He going to China to get it done? Heh.

@DireWolfSpirit

Ozzie was the man. They should have just gone ahead and renamed the Golden Glove after him.

Don’t mind me if this is too personal Ran, but I’ve picked up you live in Sweden. Are you an expat living there or did you somehow get into baseball from across the pond?

Also, apparently Manfred is saying MLB is considering playing 7 inning games to get in the amount of games they want to??? Just an awful idea imo, just accept you can only get in 81 games or so and go with that smh

2 hours ago, Ghjhero said:

Don’t mind me if this is too personal Ran, but I’ve picked up you live in Sweden. Are you an expat living there or did you somehow get into baseball from across the pond?

Emigrated to Sweden from the US 21 years ago. :)

Also, apparently Manfred is saying MLB is considering playing 7 inning games to get in the amount of games they want to??? Just an awful idea imo, just accept you can only get in 81 games or so and go with that smh

Yeah, a shorter season makes more sense thought I suppose they might also be thinking of park staff and employees getting more work days with the shorter games.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Trust, stay for the end:

That was fun - though it is hard to reconcile "I love baseball" with "I want less baseball and think it should at least consider changing literally everything." It's possible they want baseketball. Which... I would watch.

I should go watch that.

Anyway. Figures this was the year the Twins splashed out in FA. But I like the odds of our HR record surviving the year now.

9 minutes ago, Lightning Lord said:

That was fun - though it is hard to reconcile "I love baseball" with "I want less baseball and think it should at least consider changing literally everything." It's possible they want baseketball. Which... I would watch.

I should go watch that.

Anyway. Figures this was the year the Twins splashed out in FA. But I like the odds of our HR record surviving the year now.

I was born in '88, so I didn't even get to enjoy the one successful sports franchise in our area. My cohort has learned to enjoy the small things.

Yay Lynx dynasty!!!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I was born in '88, so I didn't even get to enjoy the one successful sports franchise in out area. My cohort has learned to enjoy the small things.

Yay Lynx dynasty!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I "came of age" just in time for '91. Thank the American gods. I will never enjoy sport success myself and, seemingly, I will never vicariously enjoy sport success again. (of course I picked Tottenham for my EPL team ten years ago... bleh)

MLB, MLBPA agree on stipulations for return of 2020 season:

As part of the agreement, obtained by ESPN's Jeff Passan, the players and MLB primarily agreed that the 2020 season will not start until each of the following conditions are met:

There are no bans on mass gatherings that would limit the ability to play in front of fans. However, the commissioner could still consider the "use of appropriate substitute neutral sites where economically feasible";

There are no travel restrictions throughout the United States and Canada;

Medical experts determine that there would be no health risks for players, staff or fans, with the commissioners and union still able to revisit the idea of playing in empty stadiums.

While there was no formal framework in the agreement, owners and players both want to play as many games as possible. The flexibility of both sides was seen in the willingness to extend the regular season into October, play neutral-site playoff games in November and add doubleheaders to the schedule.

Sounds reasonable, which is mighty praise these days.

Archived