MLB 2020: This One’s For Kobe

Myshkin

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

MLB, MLBPA agree on stipulations for return of 2020 season:

Sounds reasonable, which is mighty praise these days.

Agreed, but it also sounds like we're not going to get anything close to a normal season, if we get one at all. 

Oddly enough it might improve the game overall if they can play. Baseball would be so much more fun if each game really mattered. I love postseason play, but the regular season is a drag. It's 2020, most people don't want to watch 9+ innings of 162 games. There's simply too much going on these days for a lot of people to have the time for that.

On 3/26/2020 at 3:04 AM, Ran said:

Emigrated to Sweden from the US 21 years ago. :)

Yeah, a shorter season makes more sense thought I suppose they might also be thinking of park staff and employees getting more work days with the shorter games.

Oh very nice! Good to see you’re still keeping up with the game!

On 3/27/2020 at 9:31 PM, Tywin et al. said:

Agreed, but it also sounds like we're not going to get anything close to a normal season, if we get one at all. 

Oddly enough it might improve the game overall if they can play. Baseball would be so much more fun if each game really mattered. I love postseason play, but the regular season is a drag. It's 2020, most people don't want to watch 9+ innings of 162 games. There's simply too much going on these days for a lot of people to have the time for that.

I think the idea that there’s too many games for fans to to be invested for all of them is a great argument personally. I don’t think I’ve ever met a single fan who’s watched all 162 games. It’s something I tune into a lot throughout the summer and certainly if it’s a big series against a division rival, but there’s also a sense of comfort knowing that baseball is going on in the background as the summer months go by even if I’m not watching every single game. It’s a marathon, not a sprint and I’m content with how it is. Even if the season were to be shortened I’m not sure how you can get it to a place where every game “matters”. Does that kick in at 150 games, 100, 81? With that said, if we only get 81 games in this year, sure it won’t be a normal year, but no reason for it not to be a legitimate season, just gotta make do with the circumstances. 

On 3/29/2020 at 5:55 PM, Ghjhero said:

I think the idea that there’s too many games for fans to to be invested for all of them is a great argument personally. I don’t think I’ve ever met a single fan who’s watched all 162 games. It’s something I tune into a lot throughout the summer and certainly if it’s a big series against a division rival, but there’s also a sense of comfort knowing that baseball is going on in the background as the summer months go by even if I’m not watching every single game. It’s a marathon, not a sprint and I’m content with how it is. Even if the season were to be shortened I’m not sure how you can get it to a place where every game “matters”. Does that kick in at 150 games, 100, 81? With that said, if we only get 81 games in this year, sure it won’t be a normal year, but no reason for it not to be a legitimate season, just gotta make do with the circumstances. 

That always becomes the sticking point. With basketball, I think the answer is fairly to easy to come up with. IMO it would be either 58 or 62 games, and that just depends if you always want to expand the league to 32 teams, which I do. But with base, ball, Idk? I just played with a few different ideas, and I really can't tell if the changes would matter at all, and I know nobody would want a super shortened season where they only play 60 to 100 games. 

:dunno:

Verlander has announced he will be donating his MLB paychecks to pandemic relief efforts for as long as the shutdown continues.

A lot of athletes and celebrities have stepped forward recently with financial support during this crisis. JayZ, Rianna, Oprah, among others have all pledged millions.

• 3 weeks later...

With how long it’s taken, and with everything else that’s going on, I’d completely forgotten that the Red Sox were being investigated for electronic sign stealing. But today MLB announced their findings. Pretty much all the blame is being placed on the Sox’ replay room guy, who is also the guy the Sox employ to use legal means to decode opponent’s signs. As for punishment, the Sox will lose their 2020 second round draft pick. Also, it was announced that Alex Cora will be suspended through the 2020 season, but it was made clear that this suspension is punishment for his activities with the Astros and has nothing to do with the Sox scandal.

1 minute ago, Myshkin said:

With how long it’s taken, and with everything else that’s going on, I’d completely forgotten that the Red Sox were being investigated for electronic sign stealing. But today MLB announced their findings. Pretty much all the blame is being placed on the Sox’ replay room guy, who is also the guy the Sox employ to use legal means to decode opponent’s signs. As for punishment, the Sox will lose their 2020 second round draft pick. Also, it was announced that Alex Cora will be suspended through the 2020 season, but it was made clear that this suspension is punishment for his activities with the Astros and has nothing to do with the Sox scandal.

Because no authority is trustworthy these days, even I, a Sox fan, think it's more likely than not that this is just damage control and an attempt to sweep it under the rug. But maybe the Athletic will blow it open like they did with the Astros.

2 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Because no authority is trustworthy these days, even I, a Sox fan, think it's more likely than not that this is just damage control and an attempt to sweep it under the rug. But maybe the Athletic will blow it open like they did with the Astros.

Totally agree. Why would he change the behaviors that led to his success?

How do the suspensions work if the whole season is canceled, or if they play a heavily reduced one?

I can't judge the guy, because I'm just some random prick on the internet, but it sure seems like a heaping pile of shit that Alex Cora was a ringleader for a sign stealing team, then went to lead another team who just happened to be sign stealing team. Only he pinky swears he didn't know. It was just the replay guy! 

Yeah right, pricks. When the Cards got caught in that hacking scandal, I don't think I've ever been more pissed off about my team since McGwire's obvious cheating (but damnit it was fun to watch throughout my self-disgust). I hated that it hurt the team so badly, but I thought it was a fair punishment. If anything, I can understand sentiments that my team got off easy. Today, I have multiple Red Sox fans on my facebook wall defending Cora now, saying this shows he was innocent. I hate my friends. Dante et al, I know there are many Sawks fans who don't have 2-inch tinted shades, no dig at you and yours. Just happens all the worst sports fans I know seem to be from New England.

1 hour ago, Argonath Diver said:

I can't judge the guy, because I'm just some random prick on the internet, but it sure seems like a heaping pile of shit that Alex Cora was a ringleader for a sign stealing team, then went to lead another team who just happened to be sign stealing team. Only he pinky swears he didn't know. It was just the replay guy! 

Yeah right, pricks. When the Cards got caught in that hacking scandal, I don't think I've ever been more pissed off about my team since McGwire's obvious cheating (but damnit it was fun to watch throughout my self-disgust). I hated that it hurt the team so badly, but I thought it was a fair punishment. If anything, I can understand sentiments that my team got off easy. Today, I have multiple Red Sox fans on my facebook wall defending Cora now, saying this shows he was innocent. I hate my friends. Dante et al, I know there are many Sawks fans who don't have 2-inch tinted shades, no dig at you and yours. Just happens all the worst sports fans I know seem to be from New England.

I've given up defending other Boston fans. Most of the Boston fans here are decent, and that's enough for me.

I do think Cora got hung out to dry so that the scandal taint didn't get stuck to ownership or players. He did what he did, two of his teams cheated, but I think players and owners should get a lot more blame than they got. The shittiness of Astros management and ownership is well explored at this point. The Sox owners, for all the success they've enjoyed on the field, are ham-fisted PR-obsessed weasels (who are stunningly incompetent at PR for all that). I haven't respected them since they smeared Tito on his way out.

47 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I do think Cora got hung out to dry so that the scandal taint didn't get stuck to ownership or players.

Don't.  Just, don't.  This whole thing is like MAD for baseball fans.  I'm sure pretty much most everybody was at least trying to do this.   But Cora getting his comeuppance isn't something anyone should ever feel bad about.  Ever.

From the link:

However, according to USA Today’s sources, the concept is gaining support among owners and executives. The games would be played without fans, and split the entire league into three divisions according to geographical location — East, Central and West — with 10 teams each. Teams would only play other sides in their respective divisions until the start of the playoffs.

How?  There is literally zero alternative intention beyond "I want to make money" to think this is a good idea.  It is so blatantly, fragrantly stupid I'd expect to hear it from an illegitimately elected Georgia governor.

If I had photoshop skills, I'd stretch a dugout the entire way to the fences, then stick four families per section in the seats. Tickets given out in groups of 4 from a lottery system, no re-selling allowed. Boom! Local baseball baby! 

Okay, fine, I'm getting a bit desperate here. 

Archived