Jump to content
Myshkin

MLB 2020: This One’s For Kobe

Recommended Posts

I was reading a recent story on the Athletic about the scandal fall-out, and this is some sociopathic bullshit:

Quote

When Chris Archer returned to his hotel room in Houston after a puzzling start against the Astros on Aug. 1, 2017, his cell phone buzzed with a FaceTime call from an Astros player. Archer answered.

“Dude, you’ve got good shit,” the Astro told him. “You were just tipping.”

Archer had pitched into the seventh inning that night in a 6-4 Rays win, but on a few swings it seemed like the Astros hitters knew what pitch was coming. It turns out, they did. The player on FaceTime, whose name Archer won’t disclose, had his answer: He was tipping his pitches. It was fixable.

At the time, Archer bought that explanation. Now, he knows it was a lie. He wasn’t tipping. The Astros were stealing his signs and smacking a trash can.

“It’s pretty messed up,” Archer told The Athletic this week. “The whole thing is messed up.” Later, he added, “It sucks when you dedicate your whole life to something, and somebody’s out there doing some shady shit like that.”

The article goes on to kinda sorta suggest it might have been Bregman who Facetimed Archer to lie to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope Mike Bolsinger, who ruined my birthday in 2015*, wins his lawsuit.

* He was the starting pitcher against the Giants. MC paid $$ to wish me happy birthday on the scoreboard during the game and it was great. Until it wasn't. 

https://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/dodgersnow/la-sp-dn-dodgers-mike-bolsinger-course-correction-20150619-story.html

Edited by kairparavel
Adding context

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think you can strip them of their title, but the penalties should have been way worse and the players should have been punished too. I bet they will be though. Who wants to bet that the Astros set a record next year for most players HBP?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I don't think you can strip them of their title, but the penalties should have been way worse and the players should have been punished too. I bet they will be though. Who wants to bet that the Astros set a record next year for most players HBP?

Probably. Which will of course lead to retaliation, brawls, injuries, and suspensions. So, nice job limiting the damage on this one Manfred.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Carlos Correa has been getting a lot of (undeserved) praise over the last couple of days for giving maybe the least shitty apology of all the Astro personnel. But today he went out there and played the victim because he doesn’t like other players calling him and his teammates cheaters. Which you know, they fucking are. This asshole who lied and obfuscated for three years had the fucking gall to say other players needed learn the facts. Oh, and he also said Altuve didn’t want his jersey ripped off because he has a shitty tattoo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm impressed at just how pathetic and insulting most of the Astros' apologies have been, foremost the owner. Agreed, I almost expected Correa to say, "you're all just jealous whiners" and pee on the front door of the HOF in Cooperstown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must apologize to José Altuve. According to super trustworthy sources there are a number of very good and totally believable reasons he didn’t want his shirt ripped off after hitting a walk off HR to send his team to the WS. These are:

1) His wife wouldn’t have liked it

2) He has a really shitty tattoo on his chest

3) He has the “wrong” number of nipples

4) He spilled mustard on his undershirt 

5) He’s embarrassed about how buff he is

6) He’d accidentally taped a baby monitor to his chest, but it wasn’t turned on and even if it was the baby on the other end hadn’t been briefed on the stolen signs 

As you can see these are all perfectly acceptable reasons for not wanting your shirt ripped off. So please, learn the facts and just move on.

Edited by Myshkin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Myshkin said:

I must apologize to José Altuve. According to super trustworthy sources there are a number of very good and totally believable reasons he didn’t want his shirt ripped off after hitting a walk off HR to send his team to the WS. These are:

1) His wife wouldn’t have liked it

2) He has a really shitty tattoo on his chest

3) He has the “wrong” number of nipples

4) He spilled mustard on his undershirt 

5) He’s embarrassed about how buff he is

6) He’d accidentally taped a baby monitor to his chest, but it wasn’t turned on and even if it was the baby on the other end hadn’t been briefed on the stolen signs 

As you can see these are all perfectly acceptable reasons for not wanting your shirt ripped off. So please, learn the facts and just move on.

I just saw the thing where Correa tells us all that we're the cheaters because never would Altuve cheat. 

I wonder if anything else will maybe come out between now and the end and stuff...holy shit are these guys handling this badly...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Triskele said:

I wonder if anything else will maybe come out between now and the end and stuff...holy shit are these guys handling this badly...

I give it better than even odds that a lot more will come out. There’s been whispers of all sorts of shady shit the Astros have been doing for years now, but baseball’s omertà code kept it all from becoming anything more than whispers. But it would now seem that code has been thrown out the window. We’re gonna hear more about stolen signs, and maybe more about other ways in which the Astros cheated, like pitchers using foreign substances and the front office doctoring the advanced analytics on their prospects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2020 at 1:32 PM, Myshkin said:

Red Sox name Ron Roenicke their new interim manager. They say the “interim” will be dropped after the MLB investigation into their sign stealing is completed. Which says to me that the Sawks thinks there’s at least a possibility that Roenicke will be named in the MLB’s report.

@the Red Sox -- 

Week: Which coach was involved, Sawks?
Week: Which coach was involved, Sawks?
Sawks: I don't know.
Week: You don't know? YOU DON'T KNOW?
/facepalm -- I want to say I can't imagine that have the "interim" tag on him because he *might* be implicated...because that would be monumentally stupid. Then I remember they traded Mookie Betts for bucks. There is no glimmer of hope for any decency or social intelligence in front offices right now.

On 2/13/2020 at 6:28 PM, Tywin et al. said:

There are reasons why the PR team had scripts for them. I’m not sure which player said it, but one admitted that he/they understand that their actions ruined people’s careers and lives. I’d think his lawyer could use that to establish that even the Astros cheaters knew about the emotional and financial damages they inflicted on his client.

This is typically pointed to as a reason for shitty apologies -- I wonder how legitimate it is. Are there many cases of truly contrite apologies leading to additional charges or opening up an organization to risk? If that does happen, it seems like those crimes/offenses will be discovered at some point anyway -- nipping it in the bud with contrition and honesty will lessen the damage ultimately rather than continuing to lie and obfuscate. Am I being naive?

On 2/15/2020 at 12:50 PM, Triskele said:

As undignified as this type of cheating is I think going with something like "our cheating didn't impact games" is a really effective way to look even worse.  

THEN WHY DID YOU DEDICATE TIME AND RESOURCES TO IT OVER MULTIPLE SEASONS. I'm still sometimes stunned by how stupid the media and public are treated by public figures and they are able to get away with it. I don't know if it is an erosion of journalism (poor questioning, inability to focus, and coziness of reporters to sources/teams) or the strength of PR. Some of it all, I suppose.

 

eta-- Agree with Mysh, I wonder if this will erode the "unwritten rule" against going public with cheating accusations and evidence.

Edited by Week

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Week said:

eta-- Agree with Mysh, I wonder if this will erode the "unwritten rule" against going public with cheating accusations and evidence.

For those looking for background on how the breakdown of omerta will play out, there's a Godfather marathon on AMC right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep seeing the same narrative pop up in coverage of the Astros, and it’s really starting to piss me off. Many of the articles I see about the sign stealing scheme will contain a line or two about how the Astros were almost certainly not the only ones doing it. Maybe they took it a little farther than other teams, but for sure other teams were stealing signs. This is horseshit. I’m sure other teams use technology to steal signs, but the Astros’ major sin wasn’t the actual stealing of signs; it was the communicating of those signs to batters in real time. This is a difference in kind, not a difference in degree. And anybody who covers baseball should know that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Week said:

This is typically pointed to as a reason for shitty apologies -- I wonder how legitimate it is. Are there many cases of truly contrite apologies leading to additional charges or opening up an organization to risk? If that does happen, it seems like those crimes/offenses will be discovered at some point anyway -- nipping it in the bud with contrition and honesty will lessen the damage ultimately rather than continuing to lie and obfuscate. Am I being naive?

In general a more contrite apology will take you further, but we have to consider the scale here. Given the amount of money on the line here, it’s probably best to just go bland and hope the news cycle moves on. The Astros behaviors suggests more than anything that they’re doing everything they can to protect the owner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Altuve says the motion not to rip his jersey off when coming home was related to a tattoo.  Probably not.  Man, if a smoking gun comes out that they did actually wear buzzers...

Edited by Triskele

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Dumbest.

Excuse.

Ever! 

One of those things where it'd probably sound better to just refuse to answer any questions about it.  Again, how can they be handling this so badly?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×