MLB 2020: This One’s For Kobe

Myshkin

19 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Aubrey Huff, who I guess has been doing his best Curt Schilling impersonation, has been disinvited from the Giants 2010 WS anniversary extravaganza, and boy is he ever being a crybaby about it.

Huff's psychotic actions and subsequent whining about consequences make even Schilling seem relatively restrained.

On 2/18/2020 at 12:04 PM, Myshkin said:

Selig or Manfred? There’s been more than one shady Marlins sale.

Manfred. They knew Jeter’s group couldn’t afford the team and yet still allowed the sale to go through. Jeter’s group outlined how they could solve the lack of capital by slashing the payroll and dumping contracts. MLB knew they were allowing the Marlins to get screwed over again. There’s a hilarious interview from the Le Batard show in which they basically trap Manfred because they had the leaked documents before everyone knew what was happening. It could very well be the worst interview any American sports commissioner has ever given.

11 hours ago, kairparavel said:

Some choice passages in there. Here's some of the whining @Triskele asked for.

Even if Huff wouldn’t admit it, he very much wanted validation, ideally from the commander in chief. Late Monday night, he released a statement about how the Giants were keeping him from the celebration because he was a supporter of Donald Trump. Huff employed the beloved tactic of any crybaby, desperate to bring attention to their petty grievance, by tagging the president’s Twitter account in the post.

On Tuesday morning, Huff called in to Bay Area radio station 95.7 for an interview in which he was unwilling to show any self-reflection. The conversation ended when morning host Joe Fortenbaugh called him a “turd” then hung up on the former ballplayer.

It's nice Samer Kalaf found a gig at Slate after vulture capitalists in the full throes of Dunning-Kruger killed Deadspin.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Manfred. They knew Jeter’s group couldn’t afford the team and yet still allowed the sale to go through. Jeter’s group outlined how they could solve the lack of capital by slashing the payroll and dumping contracts. MLB knew they were allowing the Marlins to get screwed over again. There’s a hilarious interview from the Le Batard show in which they basically trap Manfred because they had the leaked documents before everyone knew what was happening. It could very well be the worst interview any American sports commissioner has ever given.

Still not as bad as what Selig did, helping to destroy baseball in Montreal so that MLB would have to step in and buy the Expos, so that Loria could take the money from the sale (plus a no interest loan from the MLB) and buy the Marlins, so that John Henry could take the money from that sale and buy the Red Sox. Oh and when Frank McCourt (yeah, that dick) threatened the whole scheme by bidding on the Sawks Selig stepped in again and said MLB wouldn’t approve the sale. You might be asking yourself at this point if McCourt wasn’t allowed to buy the Red Sox why would he later be allowed to buy the Dodgers. Good question. My only answer is that if I lost out on a deal like that due to some shady collusion I might be somewhat pissed off, but I also might be convinced to not make a stink about it if I was promised a little something down the road.

43 minutes ago, DMC said:

Judge also already has shoulder problems.  Great start!!!

I heard Judge tested his shoulder in the outfield and no problems were reported so there's that. I'm not upset about Paxton because I've had the kind of cyst he did and it was the most physical pain I've ever experienced, but this on the other hand does. And they were monitoring this all offseason.

23 hours ago, Myshkin said:

Still not as bad as what Selig did, helping to destroy baseball in Montreal so that MLB would have to step in and buy the Expos, so that Loria could take the money from the sale (plus a no interest loan from the MLB) and buy the Marlins, so that John Henry could take the money from that sale and buy the Red Sox. Oh and when Frank McCourt (yeah, that dick) threatened the whole scheme by bidding on the Sawks Selig stepped in again and said MLB wouldn’t approve the sale. You might be asking yourself at this point if McCourt wasn’t allowed to buy the Red Sox why would he later be allowed to buy the Dodgers. Good question. My only answer is that if I lost out on a deal like that due to some shady collusion I might be somewhat pissed off, but I also might be convinced to not make a stink about it if I was promised a little something down the road.

I feel like my face melted while reading this. 

3 hours ago, Myshkin said:

David Ortiz appears to side with the cheaters, calls Mike Fiers a snitch.

Well he was tainted for enhancing himself so...

But anyway, I must have read just snippets from the article because my take was that Ortiz didn't like Fiers talking after he left, that if it was so wrong then why didn't he say something then.

I guess I'm not a man among men or whatever, but I think it's a whole lot fucking worse to cheat your way to a god damn championship than to keep quiet in a clubhouse full of guys like David fucking Ortiz saying "Don't snitch". Man, I have generally loved everything Big Papi related despite him and his evil ass team beating mine in two recent World Series, but I think it's pretty damn pathetic to call out Fiers and not the entire team of ring-stealing, unrepentant twats.

Oh, and also, fuck the Astros. Apologies to my mother for the cursing. It's late and I am very ready for Opening Day.

15 hours ago, Myshkin said:

David Ortiz appears to side with the cheaters, calls Mike Fiers a snitch.

I love David Ortiz but that was some stupid shit to say. He even defended Manfred and said Manfred has been "legit since day one." :ack:

I always disliked Ortiz, especially after his stare down of Cuban players during the WBC (as if they were somehow responsible for Castro, and as if the DR has never had a totalitarian dictator of its own). This is just icing on the cake.

This is too much..

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/not-first-rodeo-bumgarner-admits-roping-alias

Arizona Diamondbacks left-hander Madison Bumgarner has been competing in rodeo events under the alias Mason Saunders and even won $26,560 in a team-roping competition in December, according to a story published Sunday by The Athletic.

Archived