MLB 2020: This One’s For Kobe

Myshkin

On 6/5/2020 at 3:23 PM, Argonath Diver said:

Instead we have Ga-jillionaires scared to lose 3.8 billion instead of 3.5 billion. Boras and the Union holding fast so their best guys make 20 million instead of 14 million. Both sides sound like pricks. Minor leagues are gutted. 

I agree the situation looks pretty intractable right now which means we're probably not gonna get baseball this year.  That may suck on a personal level as this is a key period in the current Yanks' window, but I hardly think it's a travesty.  Good for the players for standing up to the owners.  I don't think this a "pox on both their houses" type thing.  This is the players demanding fair compensation instead of the owners using the virus as an excuse to cut their salaries, and the players saying no.  But the minor leagues are in major trouble, yeah.  It's always been a gross iniquity what the players are paid there.  Player development might look a whole lot different once we get out of this.

Happy days for baseball fans. Normally the baseball draft isn't really a thrilling thing to watch. But there hasn't been shit going on stateside for months, and the Cardinals have more picks than any other team. They picked a high school 3Bman who wasn't pegged to go until several picks later. I suppose that means they were especially keen on him and knew they could get him at 21, but not by the 57th pick. Also is somewhat intriguing since the organization seems very high on Nolan Gorman. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29260677/2020-mlb-draft-tracker-live-updates-first-round-picks-analysis-highlights

The Athletic has put up some good stuff if you're a subscriber.

https://theathletic.com/1865805/2020/06/10/law-thoughts-and-analysis-from-day-1-of-the-mlb-draft/

https://theathletic.com/1859081/2020/06/10/now-the-no-1-overall-pick-spencer-torkelsons-legend-keeps-becoming-reality/

Never heard much hype about Torkelson because I know exceedingly little about baseball before MiLB guys, but boy does that Detroit writer make him sound like the second coming.

On 6/11/2020 at 6:40 PM, Ramsay B. said:

The only thing I know about the catcher Yankees drafted in the 1st round is that he was surrounded by a bunch of bros with sunglasses on inside. Shaky start.

I like how the Yanks emphasized lefty bats with their first two picks.  As the Yankees, it's really weird right now how little lefty power they have.  From reading about him/watching video over the past few days, seems pretty clear Wells isn't gonna stay at catcher.  But, looks like he may be able to adapt to a corner outfield spot, which would provide more value than a 1B/DH.  Also in terms of watching the video I love his approach at the plate.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Triskele said:

ESPN has a little "top 60 storylines" feature that might have some fun refreshers.  Kind of unclassy that there was only one about St. Louis. 

To be fair, David Schoenfield is one of the worst writers on the ESPN's skeleton crew of awful writers. I delight in my Athletic subscription. Between Mark Saxon there and Vivaelbirdos, I have a nice, red-tinted safe space around me. I won't let those dirty Yankee and Red Sox leaning yuppies in Bristol bait me into responding to vile garbaggery like Schoenfield telling me to "Get over it. It's time." regarding the Junior league's SNES rules. 

1 minute ago, Argonath Diver said:

I won't let those dirty Yankee and Red Sox leaning yuppies in Bristol

As a Yankee fan, I have to laugh at the notion the mothership is biased towards my team.  Peter Gammons was the dean of their baseball reportage as I grew up.  And, um, he most certainly does not have a Yankee bias.  "East coast" bias, yeah, fair enough.

36 minutes ago, DMC said:

As a Yankee fan, I have to laugh at the notion the mothership is biased towards my team.  Peter Gammons was the dean of their baseball reportage as I grew up.  And, um, he most certainly does not have a Yankee bias.  "East coast" bias, yeah, fair enough.

True. We are closer than you think, actually - my hatred of the Red Sox is only one order of magnitude under yours. I can also personally attest that Gammons is a fucking prick in real life. Comes in to our packed Scottish bar a hundred feet off Times Square asks us if we can open the second floor private bar for him while he waits for his friends. No, pal, w. Sit with the peons. And yes, it's loud. It's a goddamn pub. Prick. I couldn't believe he managed to come off even more smug in person than he is on camera. Bottom 5 on my long list of brief celebrity interactions my bar career. Nice sports prose, though, apart from the source.

ESPN's endless prattle about Red Sox and Yankees is tedious, but I understand it. It gets them far more clicks. I do agree that ESPN itself leans Boston over NYC in general, but I know that CT is kind of a battleground for that, so it sort of makes sense. Anyway, Schoenfield is a lowest common denominator writer, so I applaud his click-getting abilities. He's perfect for ESPN, where I can gleefully ignore him completely. 

So I haven't looked into this much - but are the owners so intent on having a 60 game season they'll play scabs if the player's union doesn't comply?  Because that seems to be the most likely outcome to me at this point.

2 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

ESPN's endless prattle about Red Sox and Yankees is tedious, but I understand it. It gets them far more clicks. I do agree that ESPN itself leans Boston over NYC in general, but I know that CT is kind of a battleground for that, so it sort of makes sense. Anyway, Schoenfield is a lowest common denominator writer, so I applaud his click-getting abilities. He's perfect for ESPN, where I can gleefully ignore him completely. 

I don't feel like commenting on ESPN's potential bias, but speaking as a Massachusetts guy, I don't trust Connecticut fans. Damn borderlanders.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

So I haven't looked into this much - but are the owners so intent on having a 60 game season they'll play scabs if the player's union doesn't comply?  Because that seems to be the most likely outcome to me at this point.

I'm sure they'll be some sit outs, but it sounds like the MLBPA is on board with the plan.

However, from what I can tell, the plan is that teams will play at their home stadiums; rather than trying to do a bubble somewhere. And, with the way cases are going in a lot of states right now, all I can say is... good luck. I rather doubt any games will played this year even with an agreement.

At this point I'm not even positive about NBA games happening; although if they can tighten up their Disney bubble enough they should be okay.

Listen everyone, we all know that the Yankees, Red Sox, Giants (MLB, KBO, NPB), and Dinos are gross, awful, possibly criminal, and definitely immoral organizations, but right now we cannot allow ourselves to be distracted by the everyday villainy of these teams. We must all stand together in brotherhood against the real enemy. We must not, now or ever, forget the Astros. Just because we’ve had a plague doesn’t mean those bastards are off the hook.

11 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Listen everyone, we all know that the Yankees, Red Sox, Giants (MLB, KBO, NPB), and Dinos are gross, awful, possibly criminal, and definitely immoral organizations, but right now we cannot allow ourselves to be distracted by the everyday villainy of these teams. We must all stand together in brotherhood against the real enemy. We must not, now or ever, forget the Astros. Just because we’ve had a plague doesn’t mean those bastards are off the hook.

How.

Fucking.

Dare.

You!

Archived