MLB 2020: This One’s For Kobe

Myshkin

8 hours ago, GrimTuesday said:

6: It entirely possible they only win 10 games this season because they are really fucking bad.

Yeah the Mariners are right back at it. 

20 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Very early days here, but so far so good.  I was in so much despair about sports that I didn't even really allow myself to get too excited, but the games have been great.

On the latest episode of Real Sports they had a reporter from each league on, and Gumbel asked them on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being supremely confident how each felt about the season being not just played but finished.

Aldridge for the NBA gave an 8.

Someone (blue jays guy?) for MLB gave a 5.  ETA:  Verducci I think

Peter King for NFL gave a 4, but the way he said it made me think that he really didn't believe it and it's like a 2.  

Baseball seems like the sport itself is ideal for not spreading the virus.  I just worry that they're not in a bubble like NBA is.  

Someone has clearly never played the game, or at the very least hasn't thought about how the spread works. Baseball players are disgusting. Watch the dugouts closely. They are selectively taking their masks on and off as they stand by one another. No hand washing occurs. And they're traveling. Oh, and they're all trying to touch the same thing, the obvious flaw in most sports reopening. 

Good luck with that.

3 minutes ago, Triskele said:

All of that is true.  I guess I was thinking more about the field of play and comparing it to lineman spitting in each other's mouths intentionally or not.  

Just go line by line on how each major Western sport works. Golf is the only one that's easy to figure out how to make happen. Tennis can too, but the tournaments would have to be greatly reduced. Damn near everything else has so many structural flaws. 

8 minutes ago, Triskele said:

All of that is true.  I guess I was thinking more about the field of play and comparing it to lineman spitting in each other's mouths intentionally or not.  

Yeah if we're gonna compare the three sports you mentioned, baseball is obviously the least worrisome as there's a lot less physical contact than football or even basketball.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Yeah if we're gonna compare the three sports you mentioned, baseball is obviously the least worrisome as there's a lot less physical contact than football or even basketball.

They all touch the ball, no?

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

They all touch the ball, no?

You know how often balls were replaced before covid?  Now I imagine they'll be replaced much more, in fact that's what it seemed like when I watched the Yanks game on Thursday.  They also refrained from going around the horn after recording an out.  So, no.  There is definitely only a limited about of players touching any given ball.  For pitchers and catchers it's definitely bad, but not nearly as bad as the other two sports.  Definitely compared to basketball and even football (which also replaces them quite frequently).

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

You know how often balls were replaced before covid?  Now I imagine they'll be replaced much more, in fact that's what it seemed like when I watched the Yanks game on Thursday.  They also refrained from going around the horn after recording an out.  So, no.  There is definitely only a limited about of players touching any given ball.  For pitchers and catchers it's definitely bad, but not nearly as bad as the other two sports.  Definitely compared to basketball and even football (which also replaces them quite frequently).

They were passing it around pretty commonly in the Twins game I watched last night. And again, there's no point in wearing masks if dudes are just going to take them on and off as they please, which will happen at every game. It's nice to have the game back, but like with many scenarios we're kidding ourselves if we can actually think we can open things safely.

How long until you feel safe teaching a packed lecture hall on political sociology to hungover sophomores again? 

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

It's nice to have the game back, but like with many scenarios we're kidding ourselves if we can actually think we can open things safely.

Never said we should.  Said baseball is obviously comparatively safer compared to basketball and football.

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

Never said we should.  Said baseball is obviously comparatively safer compared to basketball and football.

That's really debatable. Football is obviously the least safe of the three major sports, but baseball may actually be less safe than basketball. The physical contact between players, coaches, refs/umps and support staff etc. probably isn't all that different, but basketball is at least trying to isolate everyone. Unless I'm mistaken MLB still plans to travel from location to location, which probably increases the likelihood of infections, unless the NBA bubble has a Thing situation on their hands. 

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

The physical contact between players, coaches, refs/umps and support staff etc. probably isn't all that different, but basketball is at least trying to isolate everyone.

I meant in terms of the gameplay.  Obviously there is much more physical contact in basketball that can't be avoided that baseball.  Plus, in terms of your touching the balls complaint, even if they replaced the ball at every stoppage of play in basketball, there'd still likely be considerably more players in contact with it than for baseball.  But yes, I agree the NBA seems to be dealing with the off-the-court issues much better than either MLB or NFL.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

I meant in terms of the gameplay.  Obviously there is much more physical contact in basketball that can't be avoided that baseball.  Plus, in terms of your touching the balls complaint, even if they replaced the ball at every stoppage of play in basketball, there'd still likely be considerably more players in contact with it than for baseball.  But yes, I agree the NBA seems to be dealing with the off-the-court issues much better than either MLB or NFL.

If you recall, I said weeks before the season was suspended that there's no way you can play basketball when the virus can survive on surfaces for days. There's almost no way to properly socially interact if the hive mind goal is to eliminate the virus. It doesn't work. It's why the idea of sending kids back to school is so laughably dumb. I guess you're right in saying that among the major sports here in the U.S., baseball's in-game play may be the least likely to spread the virus, but I don't think it's by a large degree and as you conceded they are not doing a great job with the things that occur outside the lines.

I really have a hard time seeing how team sports in general can go on before we have better therapeutics and eventually we hope a cure/vaccine. 

One of my New York buddies lost his Yankees mega-fan father to COVID, and I told him I'd be rooting for his team all year (apart from games against the Cardinals). It's only taken two games into the season for me to break that. You Yanks gotta lose this one so that the Cardinals remain the only 2-0 team in baseball that arent reprehensible goat-violating cheating Astros. (oh also the Padres are still 1-0 as well).

Okay, not really. I temporarily hate the fuck out of the Nationals due to their beating us recently and all, so let's go Yankees. I have said that out loud approximately 5ish times in my life, I'm like a hobbit trying to speak the language of Mordor. I'll work on it.

Wooo, another L for the M's. It's kind of remarkable how when you have such low expectations for a team, you just don't care if they win a single game, you're just there of the ride.

That said, there were some good things, Kyle Lewis hit another dinger and JP Crawford went 3/4 with two triples. I also got to see a childhood friend pitch for my favorite team for the first time which was surreal, I can still hear him trying to make his fairly high pitched voice sound more gravely while calling out the snap count when we were playing youth football together.

I missed the game because I forgot YouTube TV got rid of the YES Network, so I have to get a new streaming service once again. Both companies blame each other. Blah blah

Verlander out for the season because of elbow. Big blow to those cheating fucks.

ETA: Now I’m seeing it’s just a forearm strain for Verlander?

Archived