Daenerys & Mirri Maaz Duur

Lyanna<3Rhaegar

56 minutes ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

The quote is from Dany chapter 9. 

Oh, sorry. Still though it could be effects of the black magic & no true sickness. 

At any rate I don't think the Targ's can not ever get sick but rather have a heightened immune system of sorts. 

2 hours ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Oh, sorry. Still though it could be effects of the black magic & no true sickness. 

At any rate I don't think the Targ's can not ever get sick but rather have a heightened immune system of sorts. 

Or a bacterial infection from childbirth. It would be funny if Mirri's "evil black magic" was just her...not washing her hands. :lmao:

Anyway, we don't really know. All we know is that Dany contradicts herself and believes she's never been sick even though she says she's been sick. Anyone can have a heightened immune system just by virtue of age and social status for certain conditions and I doubt Dany understands this. I think being a Targaryen has nothing to do with it.

On 2/29/2020 at 8:14 AM, SeanF said:

We had Starks sacrificing people to weirwoods, raping the daughters of defeated kings, and massacring women and children in Essos.  The She Wolves of Winterfell were unlikely to be nice people.  The "wolf blood" of some Starks led to just as extreme behaviour as the "dragon blood" of the Targs.  Being a warg, and being a dragon Lord are not that different.  

Ned and Catelyn were simply two people who were unusually decent for their time.

This is not an attack on Catelyn but it was in large part due to her arrest of Tyrion that started the war of the five kings.  That's not to say she is worse than Jamie and Cersei.  She most certainly is better than those two losers.  Jamie started the fire that led to the war but Catelyn's decision would later add fuel to that spark.  

As for the rest of the Starks, yes.  They are not much to be admired.  Sansa's character is weak because she's very selfish.  Arya went insane and is on a murdering kick.  Jon betrayed the Night's Watch.  

On 2/28/2020 at 8:01 PM, Wolf's Bane said:

Stannis Baratheon sent people to his firepits for much less than this.  Dany handles justice a whole lot better than any of the other leaders in this series.  Which is remarkable given her age.  Ned beheads a man who was suffering from emotional distress.  Jon murders a fellow watchman who was begging for mercy and for a minor misbehavior.  

On Stannis.  There is such a thing as being too harsh.  Stannis crossed that line by a wide mile.  He put those men in a bad predicament.  They were only there because he put them there.  And they had to resort to the extreme of eating the dead because Commander Stannis could not provide for them.  Punish them, yes.  Kill them, absolutely not.  We slowly learn why people don't like Stannis.

4 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

Or a bacterial infection from childbirth. It would be funny if Mirri's "evil black magic" was just her...not washing her hands. :lmao:

Anyway, we don't really know. All we know is that Dany contradicts herself and believes she's never been sick even though she says she's been sick. Anyone can have a heightened immune system just by virtue of age and social status for certain conditions and I doubt Dany understands this. I think being a Targaryen has nothing to do with it.

Yeah fair enough. Could be.

On 2/28/2020 at 8:14 PM, Wolf's Bane said:

Mirri Maaz Duur and Arya Stark have a lot of similarities.  Both women are or were hellbent on vengeance.  Mirri M D took hers on Rhaego while Arya took hers on the old man at the bar.  It may be Arya's destiny to also die by fire.  It would be poetic.  Cersei catches her in the act and burns her for the murder of Tommen.  Walder puts her over the coals for murdering one of his children.  

Their rage needed  victims.  Revenge is not so fine such that only the deserving and the guilty gets hurt.  The way MMD chose her act of revenge ended up hurting the innocents.  She deserved to get executed.  Arya's murderous rage in Braavos was also uncalled for.  I hope Arya doesn't get away with it.  I don't mind if she crosses Cersei and Jaime off her hit list but she needs to have her own comeuppance.  

5 minutes ago, Big P said:

Their rage needed  victims.  Revenge is not so fine such that only the deserving and the guilty gets hurt.  The way MMD chose her act of revenge ended up hurting the innocents.  She deserved to get executed.  Arya's murderous rage in Braavos was also uncalled for.  I hope Arya doesn't get away with it.  I don't mind if she crosses Cersei and Jaime off her hit list but she needs to have her own comeuppance.  

Please tell me of this murderous rage in Braavos. I must've missed that part. 

1 minute ago, Big P said:
  1. Dareon the singer.
  2. Insurance Underwriter.  The old man who sold insurance policies.  

Um neither of those were done in a murderous rage? 

The insurance man was killed as an assignment - rage had nothing to do with it. 

Dareon was killed for what Arya perceived to be justice. Again, rage had nothing to do with it. 

1 hour ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Um neither of those were done in a murderous rage? 

The insurance man was killed as an assignment - rage had nothing to do with it. 

Dareon was killed for what Arya perceived to be justice. Again, rage had nothing to do with it. 

I myself would agree it wasn't rage.  It's worse.  She dispassionately murdered them.  They were not a threat.  They have done nothing to her.  The old man was most probably innocent of the charges.  Fm claimed he was guilty of insurance fraud.  He should have been reported to the proper authorities.  The fact that it was carried out as an assassination make the accusation of fraud very suspect.  You seem to like Arya. This is not the first post of yours in her defense.  I will admit my dislike for Arya.  We are not likely to agree on much of anything regarding those two events except Arya was not in a fit of rage when she killed the old man.  She was doing it to learn the killing trade.  Like some kind of perverted entrance exam to get into a school for murderers.  

20 hours ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Ok so Jon Snow should say "Hey Roose & Ramsay. I know fArya is already gone because you sent me a letter telling me so. I don't have her, nor do I know where she is, nor am I willing or able to meet any of the demands in your letter but I'll tell you what I'll do: I'll stop trying to take fArya away from you, even though I never tried to take her away from you & she is already gone, in exchange you guys come help me fight at the wall, deal?" Preposterous. 

Let's try Stannis: "Hey Roose & Ramsay. I'll give up my claim to the throne, that means fuck all to you, and in exchange you come fight with me at the wall, deal?" Um... Nope. 

It would not have come to that if Jon Snow had not helped fArya escape from the Boltons.  "Arya" and Theon would still be with Ramsay if Jon had not ordered Mance Rayder to get her. 

On 2/29/2020 at 3:51 AM, teej6 said:

Perhaps then you should start another thread for this unrelated discussion. 

On 2/29/2020 at 6:00 AM, mormont said:

[mod] This is correct - please stick to topic. If you want to discuss something unrelated, start a new thread. [/mod]

——————————————————————————

10 hours ago, Big P said:

10 hours ago, Big P said:
  1. Dareon the singer.
  2. Insurance Underwriter.  The old man who sold insurance policies.  

8 hours ago, Prince Rhaego's Soul said:

I myself would agree it wasn't rage.  It's worse.  She dispassionately murdered them.  They were not a threat.  They have done nothing to her.  The old man was most probably innocent of the charges.  Fm claimed he was guilty of insurance fraud.  He should have been reported to the proper authorities.  The fact that it was carried out as an assassination make the accusation of fraud very suspect.  You seem to like Arya. This is not the first post of yours in her defense.  I will admit my dislike for Arya.  We are not likely to agree on much of anything regarding those two events except Arya was not in a fit of rage when she killed the old man.  She was doing it to learn the killing trade.  Like some kind of perverted entrance exam to get into a school for murderers.  

12 minutes ago, Sire de Maletroit said:

It would not have come to that if Jon Snow had not helped fArya escape from the Boltons.  "Arya" and Theon would still be with Ramsay if Jon had not ordered Mance Rayder to get her. 

FYI, perhaps the 3 posters quoted here missed the two posts at the top of mine. This thread is about Dany and MMD, if you want to Stark-hate, take it elsewhere please.

4 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

——————————————————————————

FYI, perhaps the 3 posters quoted here missed the two posts at the top of mine. This thread is about Dany and MMD, if you want to Stark-hate, take it elsewhere please.

Don't stop the meme.

Why such a fuss about Arya killing a traitor? She must have seen Ned kill deserters many times, she did what she saw be done with traitors, Sam should kill him, but since Sam sucks when it comes to killing someone, it is Arya who does it. She must have thought, "this traitor is going to be around here freely and nobody will do anything, I know what he did so I'm going to chip the knife in his neck" it doesn't seem like an extremely terrible thing. 

Returning to the subject, I don't think targaryens are immune to disease, but I believe that the relationship with dragons can make a person stronger and healthier like Aenys as a child or Dany after her dream of the black dragon.

I've watched an anime, where each dragon has a specific ability, including strengthening another living being by giving part of its vital energy (when I was writing I remembered that)

Daenerys learned everything she knows from Viserys who had a god in her belly, and he certainly said that to her, when she says she was never sick she was probably talking about occasional illnesses, when she talks about being sick in AGOT she was recovering from a traumatic childbirth, a baby monster and before that she says she was sick when she was having a difficult time in life, very different situations. And who thinks they are sick when they recovered from childbirth, years after that happened? The people remember this as "recovery after childbirth", something natural in life, not a disease itself, I think that when we talk about illnesses most people exclude situations like these from the list.

On 3/1/2020 at 2:22 PM, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

This is not an attack on Catelyn but it was in large part due to her arrest of Tyrion that started the war of the five kings.  That's not to say she is worse than Jamie and Cersei.  She most certainly is better than those two losers.  Jamie started the fire that led to the war but Catelyn's decision would later add fuel to that spark.  

As for the rest of the Starks, yes.  They are not much to be admired.  Sansa's character is weak because she's very selfish.  Arya went insane and is on a murdering kick.  Jon betrayed the Night's Watch.  

:agree:

How skilled of a witch was Mirri?  Obviously not very good at her craft.  It doesn't take witch craft to convince the gullible Dothraki girls into believing Rhaego had wings and scales.  Would you all put it beyond Mirri to take lizard skin she found and bird feathers and attach them to the dead baby with sap?  It's not as if the Dothraki girls did a careful examination.  Mirri murdered the baby easily.  A little dung on Drogo's packing would surely attract flies.  The mud pack she used was already contaminated with larvae.  She would not scream she said.  Well, she did.  Mirri was a witch wannabe who messed with the wrong person.  I consider the decision to burn Mirri an act of justice.

On 2/28/2020 at 8:01 PM, Wolf's Bane said:

Stannis Baratheon sent people to his firepits for much less than this.  Dany handles justice a whole lot better than any of the other leaders in this series.  Which is remarkable given her age.  Ned beheads a man who was suffering from emotional distress.  Jon murders a fellow watchman who was begging for mercy and for a minor misbehavior.  

She is at least interested in justice.  Ned was following the law, which is not necessarily just, but he needed to do it.  Jon was really out there in his own world when it comes to lacking any sense of justice. 

This has passed the 400 post mark, so locking it. Please feel free to start a second thread to continue, but I'd note that it'd be great if people stayed on topic -- there was a bit of drift earlier on.

Archived