A Character Study of Gerion Lannister or random discussions of swords, any swords

Lollygag

Just now, Narsil4 said:

Kinda sounds like a maybe and there do seem to be clear examples of the opposite. 

I already said you haven't sold me, but you just keep repeating yourself and ignoring me. They come in different sizes. There's no assembly line or Westerosi official regulation of sword sizes that all blacksmiths in that world are beholden too. They make them whatever size the customer wants. GRRM said Ice is too big and ceremonial. It's described that way in the books.

If you want to keep discussing this, please start a new thread. This is about Gerion, not Ice = Brightroar.

14 hours ago, Lollygag said:

Widow's Wail and Oathkeeper were seemingly longswords. Ice is long and super wide for a sword (e.g. prolly looking like a final fantasy RPG sword), so it having enough metal for two longswords doesn't seem out of place. I don't really see any inherent contradictions in the descriptions and subsequent events other than being able to draw any type of long blade from a back scabbard is impossible unless you're 8' tall with arms as long as a gorilla's.

17 hours ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

I don't really see any inherent contradictions in the descriptions and subsequent events other than being able to draw any type of long blade from a back scabbard is impossible unless you're 8' tall with arms as long as a gorilla's.

It seems that one could do that if one just has  special custom made scabbard. This video shows version made by Shadiversity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EWi2DnDoaI

On 2/7/2020 at 12:56 PM, Universal Sword Donor said:

Widow's Wail and Oathkeeper were seemingly longswords. Ice is long and super wide for a sword (e.g. prolly looking like a final fantasy RPG sword), so it having enough metal for two longswords doesn't seem out of place. I don't really see any inherent contradictions in the descriptions and subsequent events other than being able to draw any type of long blade from a back scabbard is impossible unless you're 8' tall with arms as long as a gorilla's.

I think the wires got crossed somewhere. I agree here. My problem was Ice (wide and taller than 14 yr old Robb and same height as Ilyn Payne) being also Brightroar, which I have to assume was a regular sized sword unless told otherwise.

Most houses would want a vs sword for fighting, but not the Starks which raises questions as to why they'd spend so much for what's basically just an execution sword. Maybe something to do with the Others?

6 hours ago, Lollygag said:

I think the wires got crossed somewhere. I agree here. My problem was Ice (wide and taller than 14 yr old Robb and same height as Ilyn Payne) being also Brightroar, which I have to assume was a regular sized sword unless told otherwise.

Most houses would want a vs sword for fighting, but not the Starks which raises questions as to why they'd spend so much for what's basically just an execution sword. Maybe something to do with the Others?

TBF the starks really seem to have an affinity for executions. All i got

Archived