Which minor spin-off story would you like to see?

Alyn Oakenfist

So which story from the ASOIAF universe that is not directly related to the main plot would you like to see? 

My choice would be the Rhoynar in Yeen. Like think what kind of horror story potential of several hundred people reaching a city that hasn't been populated in thousands of years but in which somehow the vegetation never grew and then seeing them die off from disease, the brindlemen, the natural fauna like wyverns and maybe from some supernatural thing as well. Basically it's ,,The Terror" but instead of a stranded arctic expedition, make it a stranded tropical expedition with a lot more horror added in (but like suspense and dread not jump-scares and gore).

I would like to see a story that would explain how house Stark survived those 2 wars they lost against Red Kings (Royces II & IV).

After all if I were victorious Red King I would tried to make sure that 

A) All male Starks would be dead.

B ) Next lord of Winterfell would be either my son or brother. Or I would just totally wipe out WF just to make sure that those mangy wolves would not rise again.

2 hours ago, Loose Bolt said:

I would like to see a story that would explain how house Stark survived those 2 wars they lost against Red Kings (Royces II & IV).

I don't think they lost 2 wars, just that the Boltons sacked Winterfell twice. Like if they didn't capture any Starks, I don't think that necessarily means they won said wars. Also it's important to note that early medieval wars (which seem to be the type the Starks and Boltons had) rarely ended with total victory or annihilation. Usually once it was clear the war was lost, the losing side would just agree to pay tribute for a while and humble themselves. Cause back in that time revoking titles from anybody would have triggered a mass uprising from all your vassals.

I'm struggling to understand what qualifies as 'minor' when everything feels so relevant, lol. That said, I've always been really intrigued by the Maidenvault. Pt.1 could be their confinement with a part 2 telling their stories after their release. There'd be secrets and schemes and three different perspectives to consider. The pious Rhaena, Daena the defiant and the awkward and shy Elaena.  

5 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

I don't think they lost 2 wars, just that the Boltons sacked Winterfell twice. Like if they didn't capture any Starks, I don't think that necessarily means they won said wars. Also it's important to note that early medieval wars (which seem to be the type the Starks and Boltons had) rarely ended with total victory or annihilation. Usually once it was clear the war was lost, the losing side would just agree to pay tribute for a while and humble themselves. Cause back in that time revoking titles from anybody would have triggered a mass uprising from all your vassals.

I assume that most valuable possession of Starks was Winterfell and so Boltons could not have sacked WF without wiping out all defenders of that castle almost certainly including most available male Starks. Or I think that sackings of WF means that Boltons totally won those wars.

Besides Starks themselves destroyed many houses by killing all males of those houses and it would be odd if Boltons would have been more merciful than Starks.

Thirdly major reason why bannermen follow their lieges is or else option. So if nominal ruler is either weakling or coward then that ruler would have huge problems of gaining any support. Or if any male Stark survived sacking of WF by hiding or running away then that man should have had very bad reputation and he should have huge problems of rising new army to fight against Boltons. Besides I assume that many of surviving bannermen of house Stark would have been mostly interested in their own survival and so they would almost certainly kneeled to victorious Red Kings.

12 minutes ago, Loose Bolt said:

I assume that most valuable possession of Starks was Winterfell and so Boltons could not have sacked WF without wiping out all defenders of that castle almost certainly including most available male Starks. Or I think that sackings of WF means that Boltons totally won those wars.

Besides Starks themselves destroyed many houses by killing all males of those houses and it would be odd if Boltons would have been more merciful than Starks.

Thirdly major reason why bannermen follow their lieges is or else option. So if nominal ruler is either weakling or coward then that ruler would have huge problems of gaining any support. Or if any male Stark survived sacking of WF by hiding or running away then that man should have had very bad reputation and he should have huge problems of rising new army to fight against Boltons. Besides I assume that many of surviving bannermen of house Stark would have been mostly interested in their own survival and so they would almost certainly kneeled to victorious Red Kings.

Well on the first part, I guess the Boltons could have sacked Winterfell while the Starks were on some campaign, like they did in the War of the Five Kings.

Also on how would the Starks regain power after a sack, I suspect a house with a long history of cruelty and ruling though fear would have major problems retaining control of the lands formerly sworn to Winterfell, when another claimant to those lands existed.

All in all my guess is that the event unfolded similarly to what is happening in the current story, Red Kings defeat the Starks and take Winterfell, however some Starks survive and using how hated the Boltons are, would regain Winterfell.

7 hours ago, Loose Bolt said:

This is not even remotely true.

While it's certainly a blow to lose your capital/family seat during a war, that doesn't mean you are anywhere close to being defeated.

Let's consider a theoretical war. If you ally the Boltons with say, the Flints of Flint's Finger - what happens if the Starks have marched south to obliterate them and left Winterfell lightly defended under the assumption the Karstarks would contain the Boltons but they failed? Well then you have a Stark King victorious in the south and putting the Bolton allies to the sword while the Bolton won a victory in sacking Winterfell. Sure, the Boltons have managed to put a feather in their cap and say they burnt Winterfell, but that doesn't mean you're not going to march back up and shove your swords up their bungholes.

Or we could consider a more recent possibility. What if Robb sacked Casterly Rock after the Battle of the Blackwater? Well that's certainly embarrassing for Tywin, but the Lannisters are nowhere near defeated. They still have some 20,000 troops under Tywin's command in the East and near a hundred thousand Tyrell swords to help them massacre Robb Stark's army.

There's no evidence the Boltons ever won an actual war against the Starks. They've had successes, beating them in battle at times and killing Stark Kings/Lords at the best of times. But overall what we can infer the Stark-Bolton conflict has been a slow march of Stark victories versus Bolton losses. This makes sense when you consider that many extremely loyal Stark vassals (Umbers, Karstarks, Manderlys) are living in lands that surely at one point would have paid tribute to the Dreadfort, but which would have been lost to Winterfell in various wars.

1) A series of Brotherhood Without Banners stories, with some gruesome Beric deaths and revivals. Soul-searching by Thoros, perhaps with Anguy as his closest confidant.

2) Stories from "occupied" Winterfell, focused on the servants and smallfolk as they operate behind the scenes with House Bolton nominally in charge. Is Old Nan calling the shots? Are there alliances with Lady Dustin and Lord Manderly?

3) More about the mountain clans in the Vale.

The Bloodstone Emperor usurping the Amethyst Empress, resulting in the first Long Night. I love everything GEotD.

Was very dissapointed when HBO decided to cancel Bloodmoon. Was hoping to see the Blood Betrayal.  

That would also cover the second sidestory Id like to see, the Daynes origin, the Daynes escape west, following the falling star. I believe they were either family or supporters of the Amethyst Empress, and I think Dawn was the sword of her dynasty. 

Archived