How does Ned know Lyanna is at the Tower of Joy?

CassDarry

On 2/8/2020 at 1:59 PM, Alexis-something-Rose said:

Where else could Sarella have found out about this but from her father? 

To be fair, Saralla/Alleras is currently studying at the Citadel, and apparently an excellent student--and she's evidently in Marwyn's confidence, or at least in his circle of favored pupils. And he seems to be very deep into whatever there is to know about dragons and Targaryens. I think Marwyn is actually a more likely candidate than Oberyn. I think "the dragon has three heads" in any context other than describing the Targaryen heraldry is probably more esoteric than proverbial.

13 minutes ago, Therae said:

To be fair, Saralla/Alleras is currently studying at the Citadel, and apparently an excellent student--and she's evidently in Marwyn's confidence, or at least in his circle of favored pupils. And he seems to be very deep into whatever there is to know about dragons and Targaryens. I think Marwyn is actually a more likely candidate than Oberyn. I think "the dragon has three heads" in any context other than describing the Targaryen heraldry is probably more esoteric than proverbial.

That is not entirely true, though. When Lazy Leo tells the group of acolytes that a glass candle is burning in Marwyn's chambers, she doesn't know about it. She must have sought out Marwyn sometime between the prologue and the last chapter of AFfC.

Armen looked down his nose at Lazy Leo. He had the perfect nose for it, long and thin and pointed. "Archmaester Marwyn believes in many curious things," he said, "but he has no more proof of dragons than Mollander. Just more sailors' stories."
"You're wrong," said Leo. "There is a glass candle burning in the Mage's chambers."
A hush fell over the torchlit terrace. Armen sighed and shook his head. Mollander began to laugh. The Sphinx studied Leo with his big black eyes. Roone looked lost.

"Dragonglass," Pate said. "The smallfolk call it dragonglass." Somehow that seemed important.
"They do," mused Alleras, the Sphinx, "and if there are dragons in the world again . . ." 
(Prologue, AFfC
)

27 minutes ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

That is not entirely true, though. When Lazy Leo tells the group of acolytes that a glass candle is burning in Marwyn's chambers, she doesn't know about it. She must have sought out Marwyn sometime between the prologue and the last chapter of AFfC.

Armen looked down his nose at Lazy Leo. He had the perfect nose for it, long and thin and pointed. "Archmaester Marwyn believes in many curious things," he said, "but he has no more proof of dragons than Mollander. Just more sailors' stories."
"You're wrong," said Leo. "There is a glass candle burning in the Mage's chambers."
A hush fell over the torchlit terrace. Armen sighed and shook his head. Mollander began to laugh. The Sphinx studied Leo with his big black eyes. Roone looked lost.

"Dragonglass," Pate said. "The smallfolk call it dragonglass." Somehow that seemed important.
"They do," mused Alleras, the Sphinx, "and if there are dragons in the world again . . ." 
(Prologue, AFfC
)

You could absolutely be right. If so, it seems she did seek him out after that (or maybe he reached out to her). I never got the impression that she didn't already know, more like she knew as well as Leo did, but was a lot more circumspect than him. I kind of think what she was learning in that moment was that Leo was reckless as well as an arrogant ass, not so much about the candle. But it could as easily be that what Leo said got her attention for reasons of her own. And of course Oberyn had also forged some rings at the Citadel once upon a time.

On 2/8/2020 at 12:10 PM, CassDarry said:

Ethan Glover? 

Thats a possibility but why would Ashara Dayne know where Rheagar and Lyanna are? Isn’t she Princess Elia’s lady? I suppose Ser Arthur could of but doesn’t that go against his Kingsguard oaths?

Perhaps Ethan just overheard.  He was not expected to go free until after the Starks and their dogs have been nipped in the bud.  Aerys should have burned his young ass.

Archived