UK Politics: Unboldy Go There Where No Country Has Gone Before

Tywin Manderly

1 minute ago, BigFatCoward said:

I have an email from a tory MP about what I plan to do about a local crime problem. Would 'not a lot because you have massively cut police resources and civilian staff, and ruined morale with 10 years of pay freezes/under inflation pay rises' be an appropriate answer? 

How about send a reply saying what you would are not going to be able to do due to lack of people / budget.

Scottish finance minister quit today after it came out he had messaged a 16-year old via social media. (He is not disputing having done this)

Mr Mackay said he had "behaved foolishly" and took full responsibility for his actions.

He also apologised "unreservedly" to the boy and his family.

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said she did not know about Mr Mackay's "unacceptable" behaviour until Wednesday evening, and is "not aware of any further allegations" against him.

In a statement to the Scottish Parliament, she confirmed that he has been suspended by the SNP while further investigations are carried out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-51397956

22 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I have an email from a tory MP about what I plan to do about a local crime problem. Would 'not a lot because you have massively cut police resources and civilian staff, and ruined morale with 10 years of pay freezes/under inflation pay rises' be an appropriate answer? 

And even if you were to magically fix everything at your end, the CPS is still fucked because of all the cuts anyway.

On 2/6/2020 at 9:36 AM, BigFatCoward said:

Please send that to him/her if only to hear their comically bad response.

So, the NHS then...

£350M a week? Or increased political interference and privatisation?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-nhs-new-law-simon-stevens-tory-ministers-a9324761.html

"Boris Johnson to seize control over NHS with new law

Ministers want new powers to instruct health bosses to force pace of change, amid fears that private-sector involvement could be expanded across health service

..."

2 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

So, the NHS then...

£350M a week? Or increased political interference and privatisation?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-nhs-new-law-simon-stevens-tory-ministers-a9324761.html

"Boris Johnson to seize control over NHS with new law

Ministers want new powers to instruct health bosses to force pace of change, amid fears that private-sector involvement could be expanded across health service

..."

Water's wet, I guess.

^^^Oh that was a huffpost article about a fox that got loose in Parliament.

So naturally I had to post a "Fox on the Run" video. Normally my YouTube posts show a picture and more often than not, the song title is visible. However this link has no picture for some reason?

Here's another, less mysterious, link to the same song.

On 2/9/2020 at 5:29 AM, DireWolfSpirit said:

A rather comical incident about a wild Fox roaming around inside the Parliament.

When they said "a rogue Fox had gone into Parliament and shat on the floor," my first thought was that Liam has really taken being out of a job badly.

Interesting structural assessment of building the NI-Scotland bridge: for most of the 22-mile-long route, the water is more than 1,000 feet deep. It would require 30 support towers more than 1,400 feet tall (almost half again the tallest existing towers on the Millau Viaduct, and those are on dry land in France) in order to give clearance to the often-massive ships using that route, and 24 additional support towers.

In addition, there are 1.5 million tons of dumped munitions in the Beaufort Dyke. The MoD cheerfully never bothered mapping their locations because they saw no need (ships passing safely some 1,000 feet above them). The explosives clearance operation would be among the most complex in history, would cost billions and would take years.

The storm conditions in the area are also hazardous, and even the most stable and sound bridge would be closed for at least a third of the time and probably far more in autumn and winter.

The project is completely unfeasible (the costs could match approach or match those of HS2), so it is unclear why the government is insisting on carrying out additional tests to see if it is achievable. Not to mention the enormous embarrassment if they somehow completed the bridge only for the two countries it links to promptly secede from the UK (or, even worse, for it to happen halfway through construction).

2 hours ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

It reminds me the time a fox jumped through my window and what on the carpet.  I dented my frying pan trying to get rid of that fox.

This is quite an image.

Johnson has serious form when it comes to unfeasible projects. The Thames Estuary Airport, the Garden Bridge, the  Metropolitan Police water cannon ...

It is a safe prediction that a load of taxpayer's money will go to various consultancies over some years, but the project will then be quietly shelved.

Edit: snap!

Hey, in case Britishers are worried about how this looks from afar, it's not bad.  The message it sends is you're the bold one, the retainer of identity and individuality, and, oddly, flavor- - moreso than say Spain which has spicier food but not the same degree of gumption as shown just now by the Queensavers.   In honor of this I had one of those imported London pints with the plastic float thing jangling around inside the can to keep it whipped up or whatever that thing does.    And before downing it I paused to shout, "Order!  Orrr-dur!"   Also, I played your football in highschool rather than my own.   But only became a hooligan online later in life.   Late onset hooliganism. 

Carry on.   It's an exciting time.   Heady, like the pub ale.

Archived