Even if The other three KG were there, I'd still put money on Robert at the Trident

The Frosted King

1 hour ago, Putin said:

This quote, war, other feats and overall reputation of him easily puts him in top alongside Dayne and  Selmy but given his strength and weapon I put him above them in 1 vs 1 scenario .

Then you're overestimating Robert. He'd probably put up a good fight but 1v1 with weapons of their choice and either Dayne or Selmy end up skinning a stag.

47 minutes ago, Adam Yozza said:

Then you're overestimating Robert. He'd probably put up a good fight but 1v1 with weapons of their choice and either Dayne or Selmy end up skinning a stag.

I am not overestimating anyone I am simply using source from books together with logic and history data about funcionality of plate armour  , weapons and it effectivenes against armour. Supported by other historical records of how often duels ended in pure physical brawl/wrestling giving Robert even bigger advantage of winning.

Robert has better weapon , way bigger odds of defeating his opponent in physical brawl due to huge size and enormous strength. All this combined with fact he is well known warrior ( even said to be peerless if you want to be literal with quote) and has feat of killing people with single blow of war hammer puts him in advantage against those 2.

35 minutes ago, Putin said:

I am not overestimating anyone I am simply using source from books together with logic and history data about funcionality of plate armour  , weapons and it effectivenes against armour. Supported by other historical records of how often duels ended in pure physical brawl/wrestling giving Robert even bigger advantage of winning.

Robert has better weapon , way bigger odds of defeating his opponent in physical brawl due to huge size and enormous strength. All this combined with fact he is well known warrior ( even said to be peerless if you want to be literal with quote) and has feat of killing people with single blow of war hammer puts him in advantage against those 2.

I mean if we weren't talking about a fantasy book  i agree, besides only i a fantasy book Robert would be able to properly use that warhammer.

But combats  are heavily romantized by Martin and he had made pretty clear that Dayne and Barri  B are something else. Even in Martin's world this isn't pokemon, so Robert could have a pretty good chance of winning but the odds are not in his favour.

4 hours ago, frenin said:

I mean if we weren't talking about a fantasy book  i agree, besides only i a fantasy book Robert would be able to properly use that warhammer.

But combats  are heavily romantized by Martin and he had made pretty clear that Dayne and Barri  B are something else. Even in Martin's world this isn't pokemon, so Robert could have a pretty good chance of winning but the odds are not in his favour.

Robert war hammer  weapon for sale approved by  Martin himself weight 10 pounds. In our real life  history even more heavier war hammers existed and were used by one example is Swiss army  . 10 pounds is  heavy but nowhere near impossible to wield especially for someone so strong as Robert. 

Its true what you said about Arthur and Selmy , they are elite, but Martin never  made it clear they are something (compared to for example Jaime or Robert) else unless I missed something.

5 hours ago, frenin said:

Yes combats are indeed romanticised. And if Martin wanted Dayne to defeat Robert, than fair play. Same goes for Robert defeating Dayne. 
But when the readers decide to debate on how the circumstances would turn out. Than we use realism since we aren’t asoiaf authors.

Fact is westerosi armour is inspired from late 13th century armour. And after the 13th century swords stopped becoming a tool for war since most knights and lords would have full plated armour. And Swords cant slash at an armour effectively, only stab. Thats where maces, pole axes and war hammers came into play. The force of the impact is strong enough to dent the armour and break bones and kill a fully armoured knight. 

Thats where Robert becomes a deadly warrior. If you add his unnatural strength along with his overly heavy Warhammer. One full blow from his Warhammer should disarm a shield or a sword from a regular knight and most likely Rhaegar, since he wasnt described as a robust person. 
If that Warhammer catches you on your armour, you have no chance of surviving. Whilst a sword slash and even a stab wont guarantee penetration, especially against expensive armour that rich lords use. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived