US politics - sometimes political jokes get elected

Rippounet

54 minutes ago, Fez said:

Actually, I think it would be kinda bad for Sanders if he sweeps NH, NV, and SC. Because if he did that, it proves that the other candidates are non-viable and gives Bloomberg his opportunity to unite everyone who doesn't want Sanders. Whereas if Sanders does well, but doesn't dominate, than some of the other candidates stick around, Bloomberg doesn't get his shot, and things stay divided. Sanders instead slowly racks up a delegate lead, much like Trump in 2016, and around April everyone realizes that there's no stopping him.

What about using Superdelegates to prevent his nomination?

37 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Voters love a winner, and if Sanders wins IA and NH and NV, enough voters will be swingin his way that the nomination is more or less sealed.

This definitely would be true in any past cycle.  But with Bloomberg looming on Super Tuesday, the calculus is different this time.

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

And when you have to stop and talk to the locals?

Have you ever been there after WVU lost a football game? Have you seen the burning couches in the streets? Have you? HAVE YOU??!?!?!

Heh.  One experience I do very much remember is when we stopped there with my (step) grandpa, who is Mexican.  When we went to cracker barrel, the amount of racism he experienced made me very much want to punch people.  Luckily he was mostly oblivious to it.

19 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Adam Schiff, New York, Nancy Pelosi -- or perhaps in her case, just the entire legislative branch of the federal government, are the overt targets of retaliation, just since yesterday.  Bedbug immediately shouted his demand for removal of this tumultuous priest / Schiff; Global Entry is now denied to anyone from NY; and then this about Pelosi -- and maybe Congress -- it's weird:

https://www.sourcepolitics.com/pence-goes-after-pelosi-with-strange-threat-shell-be-the-last-speaker-to-sit-in-that-chair-video/

That is really bizarre.  I hope someone presses Pence on what the heck he ment by that statement.

9 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Are you seriously planting the seeds to excuse Sanders defeat already?  If Sanders is the guy, he needs to get voters to vote for him.  If he can't do that, that's on him.  And if YOU don't think he can do it, then you should support someone else.  Blaming the voters is loser talk.  

I'm not trying to get personal, but something about this really hit a nerve for me.  I think it's because I really dislike both Biden and Sanders and think they're bad choices and STILL have resigned myself to not just voting for them, but actively volunteering for them this fall.  Because I know the stakes and I'm not making excuses. 

I agree that if Sanders wins the nomination, it's on him to get the voters to vote for him.  No one is automatically entitled to votes just for winning the nomination.

That said, people still blame Sanders for not doing enough to get his supporters to vote Clinton in 2016, as well as the Sanders supporters that stayed home or voted Trump, for Clinton's loss.  Clinton herself is still bringing this up as a reason for her loss rather than accepting responsibility for her own failure as a candidate.

https://www.vox.com/recode/2020/2/5/21123009/acronym-tara-mcgowan-shadow-app-iowa-caucus-results

....Acronym is a relatively new Democratic group that launched in 2017 and got active around the 2018 midterms in digital organizing. Its structure is, in a word, complex. Acronym is a nonprofit, but it also has a political action committee — under its nonprofit are for-profit entities that its nonprofit sometimes pays into. It is brazen and ambitious, which is not unique for a political strategy group, but it’s also somewhat shadowy and secretive. And it’s been trying to distance itself from the Iowa debacle, even though it’s really at the center of the storm.

Acronym is a lot of things all at once

If you pay attention to political media, you’ve probably noticed stories about Acronym popping up here and there in recent months.

In November, the New York Times covered its plan to launch a $75 million digital advertising campaign to counter President Donald Trump in 2020, and the Wall Street Journal profiled a former Facebook employee who was embedded in the Trump campaign in 2016 and has since joined Acronym’s ranks. Bloomberg wrote about the Courier Newsroom, a for-profit media company under Acronym’s umbrella that runs multiple local sites that deliver left-slanted news, countering a tactic often employed by the right. Acronym’s CEO, Tara McGowan, has quickly become a high-profile figure in Democratic politics and digital strategy.

Acronym talks a big game when it comes to its political strategy prowess — though it’s new enough and opaque enough that it’s not entirely clear what the organization is actually delivering. Now that Shadow, one of the companies affiliated with Acronym, is under the microscope, Acronym is too.

In the wake of the Iowa caucus debacle, Acronym has tried to distance itself from Shadow. In a statement, spokesperson Kyle Tharp said that Acronym just happens to be an investor in the firm, along with others. “Acronym is a nonprofit organization and not a technology company,” Tharp said.

Except it’s more complicated than that. Shadow is a tech company, and both Acronym and Shadow have described their relationship as an acquisition, not an investment, in the past and on multiple occasions....

8 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Good grief, take a look at the videos from this morning’s bipartisan prayer breakfast. Trump.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/06/politics/donald-trump-national-prayer-breakfast-nancy-pelosi-impeachment/index.html

Everyone knows a proper prayer breakfast includes questioning other people’s faiths and levying veiled threats.

37 minutes ago, DMC said:

Heh.  One experience I do very much remember is when we stopped there with my (step) grandpa, who is Mexican.  When we went to cracker barrel, the amount of racism he experienced made me very much want to punch people.  Luckily he was mostly oblivious to it.

Did you ever catch an episode of the trashy MT show based out of WV? It was insane, and of course one of the main characters killed himself doing what he loved, muddin’.

Archived