What happened to the Tyrells' other vassals?

Angel Eyes

So Natalie Dormer has gone on record about her disappointment about how the Tyrells got taken out so easily. How did this happen from an in-universe standpoint?

• The Tarlys aren't the Tyrells' only vassals;
  • Olenna could have called on her Redwyne relatives
  • Mace was married to a Hightower whose family is in charge of Oldtown and I wouldn't say that Lord Leyton would be very pleased about his grandchildren going up in smoke
  • Am I missing anybody that the Tyrells are not directly connected with from the books?
  • Even if Randyll tried to place some of his own men in charge of Highgarden's defenses, Olenna knows better than to trust any of her vassals and would be sure to put loyal officers in charge

Mass troop mobilization is shown to be at wherever the seat of the Great House is, ie the Northern forces mobilize at Winterfell throughout the show even as the show's quality took a downturn and "King" Renly as Lord of Storm's End and Lord Paramount of the Stormlands has gathered his forces near Storm's End. Even if Olenna isn't experienced with troop movements she would have noticed that something was up if large amounts of troops do not show up at Highgarden. And there's no way a force of 80,000 gets missed so badly.

Not to mention that there were two Tyrells who weren't included in the show at all:  Willas and Garlan.  And didn't Margaery have several girl cousins with her at court in the books, some of whom are Tyrells and who have fathers and/or brothers?  I guess all of them were chucked so Bronn could become Lord of Highgarden and the Reach (one of the dumbest things in the last episode, not to mention giving Bronn access to the royal treasury as well as the wealth of the Reach).  

18 hours ago, Raksha 2014 said:

Not to mention that there were two Tyrells who weren't included in the show at all:  Willas and Garlan.  And didn't Margaery have several girl cousins with her at court in the books, some of whom are Tyrells and who have fathers and/or brothers?  I guess all of them were chucked so Bronn could become Lord of Highgarden and the Reach (one of the dumbest things in the last episode, not to mention giving Bronn access to the royal treasury as well as the wealth of the Reach).  

I forgot about them, plus there were a couple Tyrell cousins that Olenna snarks at in the show.

"Another golden rose, how original. I eat from plates stamped with roses, I sleep in sheets embroidered with roses, I have a golden rose painted on my chamber pot... as if that makes it smell any better. Roses are boring, dear."

Archived