Which are worse, Wildling, Ironborn or Dothraki?

Alyn Oakenfist

38 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

I don't think there is any difference between being a thrall and being a slave (maybe the only difference from the thralls POV is that because they can't be sold, they probably can't be separated from their families). The only difference I would see is that there are probably no child slaves. Though as said before both are awful things that unfortunately aren't far enough in the past in our own world

Absolutely.

39 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

The difference between the people is non-existent. As in any society there are good and bad. The difference comes in what some monsters in power are capable of doing and what they are required to do. In a medieval society there are some limitations to the power of the nobles (not many unfortunately but there are some) and in times of peace the pillage, rape and atrocities don't tend to happen. Also feudal rulers are kinda 50/50 when it comes to good or bad, with some good education generally thrown in there. Meanwhile the Dothraki society exists in a state of perpetual war which means that the usual atrocities of war become constant. Also while the Khal could be a kind person, he must still allow his subjects to raid, rape and pillage if he doesn't want to be deposed (we can see such trends in the nomads of our own history, even when the horde leader didn't engage in the usual monstrosities, he was still forced to allow his subjects to engage in them). Therefore if in feudalism a good king could allow a time of peace and the rule of law, in the Dothraki society not even the best of leaders can't stop the usual shenanigans. All in all Dothraki society exists in a constant state of war, quite different from Westerosi feudalism (at least post-Conquest), therefore maximizing human misery. Also due to the way nomadic live is structured the worst in a ruler manages to stand out while the better qualities of a ruler are often suppressed.

Yeah I agree. It's hard to put them on a scale of good to bad when so much bad happens all over the place. 

45 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Please for the love of God, we had enough descriptions of various Essosi societies. Like some action in the Essos storyline would be quite interesting. We don't need to learn about the culture of a people who won't matter at all in the endgame (the Ghiscari) and the culture of what will be Dany's professional savages. Like TWOW and ADOS (if they ever come out that is) will already be long enough, I don't need ADWD's extensive descriptions of Ghiscari culture to be used for Dothraki too.

:lol: Yes! 

10 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

They're probably a mix, 

Word. A mix of lots of steppe folk and native americans Id say.

10 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

, cause the Dothraki history during the Century of Blood is very similar to the mongol invasion in terms of both scale and devastation.

No doubt but after the destruction came order. For instance freedom of religion was a thing that separated the Mongol Empire from most of the world, this is drastically different then the Dothraki. 

So, yea, I guess I agree theyre the worst (outta the 3. The Ghiscari are actually the worst) Its not even the rampant destruction and enslavement that does it for me, but the lack of care for any type of functioning government. 

Freefolk are ok for a bunch of anarchists, except theyre always looking to be ordered around, just not with any laws that may label them as criminals (Dothraki do actually have laws, an example being no blades allowed at the holy site. They also have an rules regarding property and specific jobs for the bosses body guard)

Ironborn are kinda scummy. Worse then Greenmen, but really not by much. They at least have some outline of a government that looks after its people, one actually sprinkled with democratic vibes which is totally cool

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2020 at 1:18 PM, Prince Rhaego said:

Wildlings practice cannibalism so yeah for me they are the most WORSE

Great unfounded generalisation, kudos. 

There are hundreds of different cultures, clans, and tribes of Free Folk, and all of one is said to practice cannibalism, the ice-river clan. 

Also, Rhaego was not a prince, but your avi is very cute. :)

They are all bad people.  The Dothraki sell captives into slavery.  The Ironborn steal and no doubt would sell people to slavery if they could.  The Wildlings are not strong enough to do much large scale damage but they are very bad as well.  An organized and discipline wildling people would be the worst.  They thankfully are not disciplined.  Harma, the Weeper, Varamyr, Mance Rayder.  Terrible people.  

14 hours ago, The Coonster said:

They are all bad people. 

Another awesome generalisation, well done. /s

In universe and irl there isn’t any one group/ethnicity/race/whathaveyou that are “all bad” or all good. Any sample group will have the whole spectrum, w/ possible exceptions on either extreme - monsters and saints - if the sample group is small. 

23 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Another awesome generalisation, well done. /s

In universe and irl there isn’t any one group/ethnicity/race/whathaveyou that are “all bad” or all good. Any sample group will have the whole spectrum, w/ possible exceptions on either extreme - monsters and saints - if the sample group is small. 

Alright I'm sick of this bloody argument, trying to say that every society is the same. Your argument is basically they are not all bad, some are good. This isn't a discussion about Johno the Dothraki, it's about the Dothraki as a group and their actions. They are a bunch of genocidal murderers plain as simple, who managed to almost wipe out 2 different civilizations/races. The same goes for the Ironborn and the Wildlings. I don't care about some of the better people, their culture normalizes raiding, raping and kidnapping, and they are actively into it. Nobody is arguing that the nazis/communists/the mongols/vikings/insert genocidal group here, weren't evil just because ,,they were people, there are good and bad like everywhere". So the next time you argue for the Dothraki, try making the same arguments for the mongols and see how they stick.

39 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Alright I'm sick of this bloody argument, trying to same that every society is the same. Your argument is basically they are not all bad, some are good. This isn't a discussion about Johno the Dothraki, it's about the Dothraki as a group and their actions. They are a bunch of genocidal murderers plain as simple, who managed to almost wipe out 2 different civilizations/races. The same goes for the Ironborn and the Wildlings. I don't care about some of the better people, their culture normalizes raiding, raping and kidnapping, and they are actively into it. Nobody is arguing that the nazis/communists/the mongols/vikings/insert genocidal group here, weren't evil just because ,,they were people, there are good and bad like everywhere". So the next time you argue for the Dothraki, try making the same arguments for the mongols and see how they stick.

I’m not sure what you mean in the bolded part.

And I am not arguing for anyone. But I do find these types of generalisations awful. You started the thread but that doesn’t give you the right to control the opinions of others, as long as they’re OT and not breaking any forum rules. 

3 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I’m not sure what you mean in the bolded part.

Typo plus faulty autocorrect, thanks for letting me know.

3 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

And I am not arguing for anyone. But I do find these types of generalisations awful. You started the thread but that doesn’t give you the right to control the opinions of others, as long as they’re OT and not breaking any forum rules.

I'm not controlling anybody's opinion. I'm merely stating that while saying we shouldn't generalize is all well and good, we should look at general patterns and behaviors and realize when the exceptions are just that, exceptions.

Dothrakis are the worst. They prey just because they can. They contribute nothing, care nothing.

Ironborns (but not all) are just as much parasites. IIRC the children of their slaves are free and they have some laws. A step better.

Some wildlings are as bad as the dothrakis. But otherwise they only aim to live free. The problem is how to be free and grant others their freedom too.  Or accept others thinking differently. My feeling is the wildlings, the Free Folk, are at least seeking a better society. They need just the right rules to achieve better than the 7K feudal system.

8 minutes ago, Bowen Marsh said:

A Tormund is most likely not alone in practicing bestiality.  Varamyr and the Starks practice skin changing, which is a vile form of abuse.  

Made it to page 2 before the Stark hate started. Way to show some restraint. 

You do understand that Tormund tells tall tales right? 

11 hours ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

You do understand that Tormund tells tall tales right?

Tales that are so far fetched that it is doubtful that there is even a nugget of truth in there. Like the story with the bear also contains the ,,information" that the bear eat half his member but that it's still longer then anybody else's.

11 hours ago, Bowen Marsh said:

the Starks practice skin changing, which is a vile form of abuse

Jared Frey, is that you? Did you warg out of your pie?

Archived