I hate Roose Bolton

Eternally_Theirs

7 hours ago, Raksha 2014 said:

Roose Bolton is a rapist and a traitor.  Can't wait until he dies, hopefully by Ramsay's hand; unless he kills Ramsay first (which would be fine with me).

Maybe they can both kill each other :D not uncommon in a :fencing:

But then dying... without any kind of torture? :devil: ;) (if I only hadn't said nobody deserves and should be exposed to any kind of torture a million times before already in these forums LOL)

16 hours ago, Robb4Ever said:

I hate Roose 'Lemme-Stab-Him' Bolton. I hate him with every fiber of my being. I hate his guts. I hate how the best character in the series was the only character to die at his hands. I hate how he is so goddamn proud of killing a sixteen-year-old kid and how he could treat it with such indifference. I hate how he snuffed out someone who is a hundred times better than he is or will ever be. I hate how he was helped by a bunch of sleazeballs in doing it. I hate everything he represents and everything he stands for. I'll spit on his grave. But most of all, I hate how he betrayed the man he swore his allegiance to.

Realize, though, that Roose is not completely human, so he doesn't consider ordinary human life on the same terms as we do. We're more like mice to him. Let me explain:

People diminish this by calling it Bolt-on, but it's far more nuanced than Bolton as a common, run-of-the-mill vampire. Roose is the last surviving son of the Night's King and his Corpse Queen. That makes him half-human and half-wight or half-Other, depending on who or what the CQ was. Roose was all set to become the next sacrifice to the Others (a la Craster's sacrifices) when the NK was deposed by the KoW and Joramun. Being the son of the NK, "Roose" (which is only the name he is going by now) naturally inherited his lands and titles from before he joined the Nights Watch. Again, depending on the identity of the NK, this would have made him lord of the Dreadfort, head of one of the wood clans, Lord of Winterfell or some other VIP.

It wasn't long before Roose discovered he had a unique talent. He could father children on human women, wait until they come of age, then kill them, flay them (the Bolton sigil) and wear their skins to create a perfect likeness, except for the eyes, which remain milky white. In this way, Roose becomes the new lord upon the death of the old, and with a little maneuvering is able to switch from house to house -- resulting in his current status as lord of the Dreadfort. The stories of ancient Boltons skinning Starks and wearing their skins is real, but is far more sinister than people imagine. Remember the tale of Brandon Ice-Eyes? That was Roose.

This is the reason for all of Roose's unusual character traits:

• He can see despite his milky white eyes. In humans and animals, eyes of this color are always accompanies by extreme vision problems or outright blindness.
  • He has to leech himself constantly, to prevent the black blood from pooling in his extremities.
  • He can silence even great boisterous louts like the Greatjon with barely a whisper.
  • He is virtually hairless, has cold, clammy skin, and never sweats.

It also explains why he was so nonchalant when his cruel, unstable bastard killed his legitimate heir. Dom was a son that any lord would have been proud of, and probably would have brought fame and glory to House Bolton and scored himself a top-tier lady wife with a handsome dowry. But Roose needed him gone because Dom was not his son. Most likely he was Brandon Stark's, and therefore not eligible for skinchanging. But Roose does know for a fact that Ramsay is his. How? By the eyes -- the one distinctive trait that all of his sons share.

So by letting Rams kill Dom and then having him legitimized and married to Arya Stark, Roose sets Ramsay up as Lord of Winterfell, which will put Roose back in the lead house when the time comes to kill him. After that, Roose (now Ramsay) will kill off his sons by Walda because he can't afford to have any uncounted for offspring running around loose.

I also have half a suspicion that one of this sons may in fact have escaped Roose at some point, fled to Essos and might have become the first Faceless Man. The current FM would either be descendants of this son, or perhaps some other branch of Bolton's seed that he might have lost control of over the years. This is why Jaquen tapped Arya to go to Braavos, knowing that she is a Stark and has the ability to change faces. And it would also be how Jon, being the son of Lyanna and Rhaegar (or maybe Aerys) would be the one who sings the song of ice and fire.

So in this light, we can see that Roose, being thousands of years old, would consider the lives of men to be of little more consequence than the lives of mice to us. Lady Barbrey has the right of it:

"He does not love, he does not hate, he does not grieve. This is a game to him, mildly diverting. Some men hunt, some hawk, some tumble dice. Roose plays with men. You and me, these Freys, Lord Manderly, his plump new wife, even his bastard, we are but his playthings."

I'm sure at this point you are rolling your eyes at this because there are numerous rational explanations for all the odd things about Roose and the unusual things he does. So all I'll ask is this:

At some point in the next two books, Roose will die. When that happens, look for Ramsay to suddenly calm down, start speaking in whispers and leeching himself. Some might even notice his thinning hair and that his pale eyes seem just a little paler now, obviously the result of all that grieving. But this is how we will know the switch has been made.

6 hours ago, Loose Bolt said:

Among Northern warriors who invaded Riverlands those who were loyal to Roose Bolton had best chances to survive. I assume that may be 9 of 10 of them are still alive. When most of Stark loyalists are dead So I assume that that lord Bolton had done something right.

He did right by his levies.  Perhaps that is reason for men like Steelshanks do not hate him.  He also did right by the king of Westeros.  

On 2/4/2020 at 10:14 AM, kissdbyfire said:

Where did you get the idea that Barbrey Dustin is mad at Roose because he betrayed and killed Robb?

That whole story about hating the Starks was a lie. The purpose of that little trip to the crypts was two-fold. First, they needed to unblock the door from all the ice and debris, and then they needed to make tracks through the snow so that whomever came through the secret entrance within the crypts could enter Winterfell without being noticed.

Note that it was right after this little episode that the murdering began.

1 hour ago, John Suburbs said:

That whole story about hating the Starks was a lie. The purpose of that little trip to the crypts was two-fold. First, they needed to unblock the door from all the ice and debris, and then they needed to make tracks through the snow so that whomever came through the secret entrance within the crypts could enter Winterfell without being noticed.

Note that it was right after this little episode that the murdering began.

I never bought Dustin’s hatred of the Starks. But that’s not the same as saying she hates Roose because he shanked Sweetie. 

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

I never bought Dustin’s hatred of the Starks. But that’s not the same as saying she hates Roose because he shanked Sweetie. 

She definitely hated Ned. What her thoughts are about his kids, who knows. Dustin could be the type of person whos dislike for someone carries over to disliking said persons kid's.

3 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Sweetie? You mean Robb? I think all the northern lords save the Karstarks are working to bring Roose down, in part because he betrayed their king but in part because they never really liked him anyway. He's creepy and weird.

59 minutes ago, Daemon The Black Dragon said:

She definitely hated Ned. What her thoughts are about his kids, who knows. Dustin could be the type of person whos dislike for someone carries over to disliking said persons kid's.

She doesn't. That whole story was just a lie to open the crypts so they could make use of the secret passage. Once that was done, the murdering started.

10 minutes ago, John Suburbs said:

Sweetie? You mean Robb? I think all the northern lords save the Karstarks are working to bring Roose down, in part because he betrayed their king but in part because they never really liked him anyway. He's creepy and weird.

She doesn't. That whole story was just a lie to open the crypts so they could make use of the secret passage. Once that was done, the murdering started

No, she hated Ned. Her reason for finding the crypts was to visit Brandons grave, at least that what she tells Theon (I think). She has no reason to then tell Theon about why she hates Ned and talking about making plans to take Ned's bones on there way back WF. 

21 minutes ago, John Suburbs said:

Yep :lmao: Robb has been dubbed 'Sweetie' by the OP. 

2 minutes ago, Daemon The Black Dragon said:

No, she hated Ned. Her reason for finding the crypts was to visit Brandons grave, at least that what she tells Theon (I think). She has no reason to then tell Theon about why she hates Ned and talking about making plans to take Ned's bones on there way back WF. 

Well, she knows Theon is Ramsay’s plaything, and she knows very well what kind of stuff Ramsay’s into. So she has to feed Theon a story that is both credible and that doesn’t put her position in jeopardy w/ the Boltons. And what she tells Theon achieves both.

@John Suburbs, yeah, as @Lyanna<3Rhaegar said, Robb is now known as Sweetie. :wub:

26 minutes ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Idk, I only remember you saying it lol

Nah, I remember seeing it in another thread. Some guy referred to someone as sweetie and that person had a go at him for calling her sweetie. So he doubled back and said that he was calling Robb sweetie. 

3 minutes ago, The Young Maester said:

Nah, I remember seeing it in another thread. Some guy referred to someone as sweetie and that person had a go at him for calling her sweetie. So he doubled back and said that he was calling Robb sweetie. 

That was the OP here, in an exchange w/ @Alexis-something-Rose. The OP changed their name from DR Supporter (or something like that) to Robb4Ever. 

Archived