I hate Roose Bolton

Eternally_Theirs

3 minutes ago, Sourjapes said:

Yeah, obviously it's a joke.

That’s a relief.

We all know what happened,

One would think, right? But you’d be surprised...

but if Roose was a better liar he'd tell people what I told all of you. Letting the Freys write the cover story for the Red Wedding was a really bad move. My post was to illustrate that Roose has some plausible deniability and a good cover story. Not that everyone or anyone would 100% believe it, but I think if he framed things that way they'd at least second guess their own plans to name him a traitor or kill him. 

Roose is my favorite character, but that's because he's such a great villain. I don't like it when people try to portray him as being weirdly heroic or sympathetic. I respect his skill at playing the game of thrones but he's a very bad man. 

That said, I'm hoping he'll somehow manage to survive the series.

I’m not sure here, though. Too many people involved for him to have deniability. 

2 hours ago, Robb4Ever said:

Question: Did he marry Walda in exchange for being spared during the RW? If so, then it was a really dickish move & I'll hate him even more for it......

He married Walda for her weight in silver and Frey alliance. He already had Big and Little Walder as hostages at the Dreadfort in case Frey wasn't careful with his crossbow quarrels.

17 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

That’s a relief.

One would think, right? But you’d be surprised...

I’m not sure here, though. Too many people involved for him to have deniability. 

Maybe, Westoros is not the modern world. All that most people have to go by is what they hear by word of mouth and Westoros is also a place with a more rigid hierarchy. Who is to contradict what Roose says? If Lord Bolton says he was spared because he married a Frey and Ser Hosteen says that's a lie, who is the average northerner, who wasn't there, going to believe? The best lies are those with a kernal of truth. Roose did marry a Frey, so it is plausible he'd be spared even if he hadn't been one of the main masterminds of the Red Wedding. The Iron Throne truly didn't have anyone else they could realistically name as the new Lord Paramount. Who would they pick? Maybe Glover or Ryswell, not Manderly though. Bolton is the best choice because he has ties to the South and he has an intact army. Now we all know Roose bought this promotion with blood and treachery... but what I just said is still true. In addition, I pointed out the Iron Throne sending no aid to help with Stannis or the wildlings, and both of those statements are true. Both statements support the implication that the Iron Throne has no love for Roose, which lends credence to the lie that he is innocent of murdering his king and betraying his fellow northmen. The fact that Stannis worships a foreign god and sacrifices people to it is also true...

One wonders, if Ramsay wasn't such a brute would Roose have gone this route? Throw the Frey's under the bus and portray Stannis as some foreign lunatic who wants to drag the war weary North into yet another rebellion againt the Iron Throne? It should be an easy sell. After all, even Robett Glover says he could stomach bending the knee to Roose, he says "We've all known worse,", meaning there have been northerners in living memory more hated than he is, but "This bastard of his..." A great portion of the covert rebellion against Roose seems to be because of who will succeed him, rather than the man himself. 

1 hour ago, Sourjapes said:

Maybe, Westoros is not the modern world. All that most people have to go by is what they hear by word of mouth and Westoros is also a place with a more rigid hierarchy. Who is to contradict what Roose says? If Lord Bolton says he was spared because he married a Frey and Ser Hosteen says that's a lie, who is the average northerner, who wasn't there, going to believe? The best lies are those with a kernal of truth. Roose did marry a Frey, so it is plausible he'd be spared even if he hadn't been one of the main masterminds of the Red Wedding. The Iron Throne truly didn't have anyone else they could realistically name as the new Lord Paramount. Who would they pick? Maybe Glover or Ryswell, not Manderly though. Bolton is the best choice because he has ties to the South and he has an intact army. Now we all know Roose bought this promotion with blood and treachery... but what I just said is still true. In addition, I pointed out the Iron Throne sending no aid to help with Stannis or the wildlings, and both of those statements are true. Both statements support the implication that the Iron Throne has no love for Roose, which lends credence to the lie that he is innocent of murdering his king and betraying his fellow northmen. The fact that Stannis worships a foreign god and sacrifices people to it is also true...

One wonders, if Ramsay wasn't such a brute would Roose have gone this route? Throw the Frey's under the bus and portray Stannis as some foreign lunatic who wants to drag the war weary North into yet another rebellion againt the Iron Throne? It should be an easy sell. After all, even Robett Glover says he could stomach bending the knee to Roose, he says "We've all known worse,", meaning there have been northerners in living memory more hated than he is, but "This bastard of his..." A great portion of the covert rebellion against Roose seems to be because of who will succeed him, rather than the man himself. 

No, they're rebelling because he killed their King. The Manderlys know this via Wyllis. The Umbers know this via Greatjon. The Mormonts know this via Lyanna. Even the Tullys know this via Edmure and the Blackfish. So Umbers, Manderlys, Mormonts and Tullys will have their pound of flesh.

2 hours ago, Robb4Ever said:

No, they're rebelling because he killed their King. The Manderlys know this via Wyllis. The Umbers know this via Greatjon. The Mormonts know this via Lyanna. Even the Tullys know this via Edmure and the Blackfish. So Umbers, Manderlys, Mormonts and Tullys will have their pound of flesh.

Wylis was a prisoner in Harrenhal. He doesn't know anything. The Greatjon is a prisoner in the Twins and he'll be lucky if he ever gets released. Lyanna knows nothing and her mother is missing. Edmure, is a prisoner and has been declared a traitor. Ditto the Blackfish. 

55 minutes ago, Sourjapes said:

Wylis was a prisoner in Harrenhal. He doesn't know anything. The Greatjon is a prisoner in the Twins and he'll be lucky if he ever gets released. Lyanna knows nothing and her mother is missing. Edmure, is a prisoner and has been declared a traitor. Ditto the Blackfish. 

Tell that to the Manderlys. They will free them all.

On 2/9/2020 at 11:18 PM, Sourjapes said:

I don't know what stories you have all been reading but Roose Bolton had nothing to do with the Red Wedding. He was married to Walda Frey and had been ordered to capture Harrenhal early in the war. After the Black Water he left with his army, which was harried by the Mountain all way up the King's Road. He arrived late to The Twins, his army not yet able to settle in and enjoy the "festivities". Thus they were spared the gruesome slaughter by the Freys. Roose himself, being married to Walda Frey as I stated, was taken captive and treated more gently since he was the husband of a Frey. He was then offered the North by the Iron Throne who had no other Northern lord they could even hope to trust. Who would they have chosen? Should they have sent some Southron Lord to rule the North? The Frey marriage is key because it binds the Boltons to a House that has, in a rather dramatic fashion, declared its loyalty to the Iron Throne. Even if the manner of that pledge was rather distasteful. So the Lannisters gave Lord Roose the North and even the Stark girl to cement his hold on it but have they sent one sword to defend it from the wildlings or from Stannis? The man who burns people alive to appease his god and accuses the widow of King Robert of depraved incest and likely had a hand in his own brother's death?

I find it very sad and so very tragic that in the North's darkest hour, when traitors and savages threaten to overrun it, while winter descends, that the Northmen are so keen to blame and turn against one of their own. 

Har! Do you work in the White House?

Archived