Words and Phrases that Bug You!

Fragile Bird

Have to say this is one grammatical/format errors that I'm totally guilty of in both casual conversation and on this board.  "Me and ___" is just more natural to me.  Hell, "me and my uncle" is one of my favorite Dead songs.  It'd sound weird in terms of cadence if it had to be "my uncle and I."

On 2/4/2020 at 6:14 PM, maarsen said:

I have a horrible habit of using words and phrases that bother people in an ironic way as a way of poking fun at said people, and the people that like to use the grating words. Unfortunately this has the effect of getting both groups annoyed with me. 

I’m guilty of something similar to this too, with the word “pet.” I never used it prior to uni, then i was speaking to my flatmates one day about regional dialect and “pet” was mentioned for me. Despite never having used the word before we started to refer to each other as “pet” as a bit of a joke and now here we are 5 (?!) years later still doing it,

10 hours ago, Liffguard said:

Give thanks that you have not yet been introduced to the nails-on-chalkboard horror of "holibobs."

I wonder what the overlap is between these people and those who clap when the plane lands?

4 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I’m guilty of something similar to this too, with the word “pet.” I never used it prior to uni, then i was speaking to my flatmates one day about regional dialect and “pet” was mentioned for me. Despite never having used the word before we started to refer to each other as “pet” as a bit of a joke and now here we are 5 (?!) years later still doing it,

I do the same thing with some words.

At 14 y/o I never used the word ya'll. But then my dad's new wife from Texas did, so I started using it.

Sometimes it can be fun to forcibly work new words into your everyday language until it becomes natural.

I mean, someone on this board had the phrase "So totally Yay!" as their title.

I now use that phrase on a fairly regular basis when something good happens.

Ok, it is grammatical, but it still really grates esp when it's written:

should of, could of, would of

Of course if we all followed Captain Holt's rule and never used contractions in our speech people would never have started making this mistake. So perhaps the blame lies in lazy speaking by those who know the correct phrasing.

4 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Just sayin’- especially while attempting a mic drop moment. Please stop.

Totally agree.  I fucking hate this.  I am surprised I didn't think of it earlier. 

Another one that grates is when people say "not gonna lie". 

On 2/4/2020 at 12:51 PM, OldGimletEye said:

1. "Reach out". This corporatey piece of jargon needs to die. Contact, phone, or email did just fine. I imagine some management consultant probably got paid big bucks telling management to use reach out because it sound oh so kind and caring. What a bunch of baloney.

2. Touch Base. Pretty much as above. Contact or call works just fine.

3. "Multi Task". Another favorite of the corporate world. When I think of multi tasking, I generally think of the jack ass that thinks they can facebook and drive at the same time. Some things actually require your undivided attention. How would you feel if your surgeon tried to "multi task" by doing his taxes  while operating on you?

"Synergy" is another favorite, and used primarily to bullshit people on saying hey our acquisitions and moves will promote synergy, when in truth because we bought this other company, now we have too many employees so prepare yourselves for layoffs.

55 minutes ago, Inkdaub said:

Another one that grates is when people say "not gonna lie". 

Makes me think of when people preface statements with "no offense," and then the statement is plainly offensive.

no offense and just sayin--these are all good examples of apophasis, a classical rhetorical trope designed to invoke something implicitly by denying that one will invoke it.  it is plainly manipulative, but usually so naked in the attempt that it can pass for irony. when used without irony, however, it perhaps signifies a lack of sophistication in the utterance.

that reminds me: whenever someone says trope and they are not discussing classical rhetoric, i reach for my pistols.

12 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Ok, it is grammatical, but it still really grates esp when it's written:

should of, could of, would of

Of course if we all followed Captain Holt's rule and never used contractions in our speech people would never have started making this mistake. So perhaps the blame lies in lazy speaking by those who know the correct phrasing.

I thought it was should’ve, could’ve, would’ve, which is the contraction of should have etc. rather than should of. Not that its particularly easy to tell this when you are just listening to speech

23 hours ago, Corvinus said:

"Synergy" is another favorite, and used primarily to bullshit people on saying hey our acquisitions and moves will promote synergy, when in truth because we bought this other company, now we have too many employees so prepare yourselves for layoffs.

You might say, "We're acquiring company X because we think it will create economies of scale ( or better yet, just say we can double our output at less than double the cost)." Or you might say, "Were acquiring company X because that will increase our power to set prices in the market, creating excess returns (or better yet, say our returns will be better than what investors demand)".

I guess those are too specific. The intent too well understood. So you use something really weasily like:

"We're acquring company X because that will create 'Synergy', which will be a real 'value add'."

Nobody knows what the Synergy is though. It isn't well defined, but you're assured it is there. Kind of like the force or philogiston.

Archived