Words and Phrases that Bug You!

Fragile Bird

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 6:14 PM, maarsen said:

I have a horrible habit of using words and phrases that bother people in an ironic way as a way of poking fun at said people, and the people that like to use the grating words. Unfortunately this has the effect of getting both groups annoyed with me. 

I often find that when I do that I end up using the words non ironically.  A couple we know used to do cringe as fuck baby talk and we used to do it in private to take the piss, then it ended up being part of our normal conversation.  It was a horrible couple of weeks while we broke that cycle.

On 2/5/2020 at 4:28 AM, Fragile Bird said:

Ugh! This put me in mind of a series of tv commercials that make me want to gag. BayerUS has a new (well, for months now) corporate PR motto, ‘This is why we science’. Oh geez, no.

Double ugh! I finally got a new tv this winter and signed in to Amazon Prime, and found to my delight many of the murder mysteries I love are available for viewing. There’s an episode of Death in Paradise where a rich bitch keeps using ‘totes’ and I just wanted to strangle her.

The conversion of nouns into verbs irritates me too.

On 2/5/2020 at 6:07 AM, Ramsay B. said:

Guesstimate. 

People dramatically stating, “I am done.”

Also saying, “God bless you” after a sneeze. So weird that this still goes on.

Couples calling each other babe constantly. Ugh

What's wrong with saying "bless you" after someone sneezes?

12 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I hear those all the time in my new job.  Corporate jargon is everywhere.

Call it corporate post modernism. Lot's of ten dollar words and jargon, where nobody has one iota of a fuckin' clue what they really mean.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

My daughter, now 16, claims that the word "yeet" is a verb that means to violently throw something to the floor.  Has anyone actually heard this word used in conversation?

This seems to be a fast-evolving bit of teen slang. Your daughter's meaning isn't what it meant a short time ago but I can see how it could have developed as an extension of the meaning "a sudden or forceful motion, such as throwing an object long distance", one of several possible meanings mentioned in this article:

https://www.dailydot.com/unclick/what-does-yeet-mean/

nominalization?

though we should note that it is a common practice.  the etymology of conversion, just to examine the rhetoric of the objection against the process, reveals that the ancient latin verb convertere nominalized as convert in the mid 16th century and conversion by the later 14th century; the former has passed through a verbal phase in the 14th century also.

10 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What's wrong with saying "bless you" after someone sneezes?

It’s just one of those things I’ve never understood. Why do we feel the need to say something after a person sneezes, of all things? Then it starts to feel like an obligation if it’s only you and a stranger in say a waiting room, and they sneeze. Am I rude because I didn’t say anything?

43 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

It’s just one of those things I’ve never understood. Why do we feel the need to say something after a person sneezes, of all things? Then it starts to feel like an obligation if it’s only you and a stranger in say a waiting room, and they sneeze. Am I rude because I didn’t say anything?

Don't be such a killjoy, have some fun with it.   Respond with "sounds like you had something irritating your sinuses" or "social norms dictate that I give you health blessings after that semi-voluntary reaction"

6 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Ah, come on. The saying has been used for centuries. If you are upset at evangelists and think it was something they created just to annoy atheists, you’re wrong. Once upon a time  there were basically no medicines available to treat the sick, especially when they got the the plague. Coughing and sneezing were symptoms of the plague and people said ‘bless you’ because, you know, they had a belief God was listening to everything you say and a blessing might help you survive. The saying is basically a polite habit. It’s kind of hard to stamp out centuries old sayings.

Archived