Words and Phrases that Bug You!

Fragile Bird

5 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

Ah, but Scot, the parts of speech don't function as closed cases that words cannot escape from--we should start with the function of the word as it is being used, then classify it. I suppose it sometimes goes overboard, but this is just an illustration of how strong a native speaker of a language (in English in this case) has command over the language's grammar. 

What's one you hate in particular? I know this is from early February, so I'm going to go back through the rest of the posts and see if you mentioned one. I know I've been annoyed by it too, but I am drawing a blank on examples at the moment. Maybe..."I'm yolo-ing right now!" I don't know.

This doesn't bother me except for "adulting."

On 2/15/2020 at 2:36 AM, DireWolfSpirit said:

I see it's been mentioned already, I also feel uncomfortable when someone says "bless you" to me.

It doesn't anger me and I get that the person thinks of it as a sort of sincerity gesture, but its startling to hear it nonetheless.

Something I picked up from my cousin, that I find myself repeating disturbingly often, is if someone burps or farts I say "bless you".

5 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Not something that bothers me but I've had complaints from people when I use the word irregardless.

They have claimed I am making up a word?

You aren’t it just seems to be an unnecessary double negative.  “Regardless” works perfectly well in its place without the addition of the “ir” in 99.99999% of the phrases in which “irregardless” is used.

I started this thread talking about that damn commercial that claimed ‘that’s why we science’.

Now there’s a supplement commercial that asks ‘Want to brain better?’

Yeah, I like to brain your whole damn marketing team.

10 minutes ago, DMC said:

If I hear one more time how the young "think they're invincible" I'm going to punch the television and test its screen's invincibility.

On the morning roundtable on the radio just now the panel was talking about how a surprising number of the US hospitalizations have been 45 and younger and on cue the dinosaur on the panel chimed in with "they think they're invincible".  It's cringe.

4 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I tell my kids to click in.

What I'm referring to is using this phrase when discussing current events.   'Buckle Up!' as a warning (I guess) for possible trubulent times adhead that the speaker adledgedly knows about but you don't.    Sorry I wasn't clear. 

"scootch" as in move your body without really getting up from a sitting position, pretty common for some Am. English speakers, and "scoatch" (sp) for a "little bit" heard in certain local construction vernacular, mostly in the greater upstate NY/VT area.  

Both just make me want to drink scotch, and sound childish coming from adults.

Archived