Words and Phrases that Bug You!

Fragile Bird

"lol".

Every time I see anybody write this in the middle or at the end of their post (it is not punctuation!) anywhere on the Internet, especially when dealing with subjects that are not the least funny, it makes me want to take their keyboard away and disable all of their social media accounts forever.

inflection point in non-mathematical contexts. metaphorical use of sport/military terms for security exchanges (rally, rout, &c.).  liberal abstractions described as real whereas leftwing abstractions are ideological (as used in bret stephens' otherwise great piece in the NYT this weekend regarding his randy gandma). motherfucker.

all internet techtalk, such as references to hastags, trending, and so forth.

similarly, the designation of profit-oriented, hierarchizing, social darwinist, atomizing software as social media is a dialectical reversal insofar as the software is fundamentally antisocial and moreover is not usually a medium for content other than what the audience produces itself--though perhaps worse still is the the dumb & depoliticized abbreviation app.

Doesn't particularly annoy me, but on the news just now some official said in respect of coronavirus measures that they were taking

"an abundance of precaution"

and on some crappy show in which some horrible people explained why they persecuted somebody, a woman explained;

'I had to have my revengeance'

I have never liked when people say 'to be clear'.

I also have never liked when people begin their typed or written sentences with 'um'.

It is strange to see people actually type out the word 'like' in posts or tweets.   

I dislike the term 'deconstruction'.

2 minutes ago, Inkdaub said:

I have never liked when people say 'to be clear'.

I also have never liked when people begin their typed or written sentences with 'um'.

It is strange to see people actually type out the word 'like' in posts or tweets.   

I dislike the term 'deconstruction'.

Um, like, what's your prob, sweetie?

Archived