Words and Phrases that Bug You!

Fragile Bird

2 minutes ago, Leap said:

Right, yeah, I didn't realise this was specifically within the context of saying "I feel X" - I wouldn't use goodly as an adverb, or in that context. 

I kind of feel that the point where I start writing posts about grammar on an internet forum has got to be near the point at which the UK passes peak Coronavirus. Or the point at which I spontaneously morph into E.L. Wisty. One of the two. 

5 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

I've had a longstanding aversion to hearing someone say, "I feel badly . . ." about something.  

It's gradually caught on despite it being an incorrect usage, and now you hear it from the mouths of announcers all the time.

You don't say, "I feel goodly . . ." about something, do you?  NO.

Side note:  If this IS correct usage in any other country outside of the US, my sincerest apologies, etc., etc. 

The correct usage is, of course, “I’ve got a bad feeling about this.”

On 4/11/2020 at 7:07 PM, dog-days said:

I dislike seeing "life" used to modify certain nouns - the ones I can think of are "choices" as in "life choices" and "tasks" as in "life tasks". 

I just feel it's unnecessary - a kind of symptom of the slightly self-obsessed, Instagram element of modern society. 

Choices. Tasks. There's dignity in brevity. 

In the police before you are handed your radio for the first time you are taught 'accuracy, brevity, clarity'. I think the whole world needs that lesson. 

Archived