Words and Phrases that Bug You!

Fragile Bird

7 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

So only in specific instances right?

It doesn't bug you if I Multi-Task by watching TV with the stereo on? (Because I like to party)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS_OVZtVa4E

Yes, there are certain cases where you can "multi-task", where the task are relatively simple or the consequences of fucking up are minor or trivial.

My objection to it is that it is way over used, particularly in corporate settings. Fact is that there a number of task that need your undivided attention because its easy to make a mistake or because the consequences of screwing up can be quite severe. Does the boss really want you to balance his/her books while answering emails at the same time? Probably not.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

I find it unbelievable that people are still saying 'yah yah, lets touch base on that later yah?' unironically in 2020. But they are.

'Yah, Yah, let's touch base if we are unable to reach out."

18 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I must be in a bad mood today. If I hear one more person talk about going on 'vacay' I think I'll scream. I actually just used the word sarcastically, commenting on an Air Canada flight that had to make an emergency landing in Madrid because of a blown tire ("Great vacay!").

Give thanks that you have not yet been introduced to the nails-on-chalkboard horror of "holibobs."

18 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

All of foregoing pale beside "going forward". It's the only phrase where I cringe every time it's used.

Going forward we will need to implement a multi-stakeholder solution that will allow us to touch base, which will be a real value add.

It always grates on me when people say "it's my Friday" on the last day of their work week.  Or "Monday" on the first or whatever etc etc.  I hate it even more when they ask me if it's my Friday because then I have to participate. 

9 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Going forward we will need to implement a multi-stakeholder solution that will allow us to touch base, which will be a real value add.

The worst part about all this is that I realised I have to use these phrases at work in order to help people understand what I'm saying and sound like I know what the hell I'm talking about. I resisted it for years but on some level it becomes absolutely vital.

6 hours ago, dornishpen said:

Judeo-Christian. It's almost always used in a way that just means Christian and the Judeo part really doesn't belong but was just added on for reasons or occasionally in a way where the term Abrahamic would be better, there's really very little Judaism and Christianity have in common that they do not also have with Islam. 

Word.  Trump finally dropped the mask last night in the SOTU and declared "America is a Christian nation."

1. authored.  What is wrong with written that you need to turn "author" into a verb?

2. "very unique":  self-explanatory. 

3. "decimate:  used incorrectly s a synonym for destroy.

Oh and the American custom of saying "Happy Friday.".  It's a day of the week for crying out loud...

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

The worst part about all this is that I realised I have to use these phrases at work in order to help people understand what I'm saying and sound like I know what the hell I'm talking about. I resisted it for years but on some level it becomes absolutely vital.

Yeah a lot of people use this kind of jargony talk in order to look "smart". As far as using this type of pompous jargon, I have done it myself, in order to avoid raising too much of a fuss about it. So I can empathize with your plight of having to use these terms at at work.

Overall, I'm a fan of plain and simple language, rather than a bunch of pompous jargon. Sometimes it's okay to use jargon if it saves a lot of verbiage and everyone knows the meaning of the word your using, but if a simple ordinary word will get the job done, then I'm a fan of using it.

15 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Word.  Trump finally dropped the mask last night in the SOTU and declared "America is a Christian nation."

1. authored.  What is wrong with written that you need to turn "author" into a verb?

2. "very unique":  self-explanatory. 

3. "decimate:  used incorrectly s a synonym for destroy.

Oh and the American custom of saying "Happy Friday.".  It's a day of the week for crying out loud...

Authored is one I hate also. I once read that the difference between a writer and an author is an author is someone who has their name on a book. A writer is someone who actually writes books. 

3 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Yeah a lot of people use this kind of jargony talk in order to look "smart". As far as using this type of pompous jargon, I have done it myself, in order to avoid raising to much of a fuss about it. So I can empathize with your plight of having to use these terms at at work.

Overall, I'm a fan of plain and simple language, rather than a bunch of pompous jargon. Sometimes it's okay to use jargon if it saves a lot of verbiage and everyone knows the meaning of the word your using, but if a simple ordinary word will get the job done, then I'm a fan of using it.

As a union exec I have been asked on occasion to explain some management doublespeak as mentioned by you. I like to keep my explantations simple so I would quote John Hannah in Spartacus. "Cheeks spread. In come cock." 

In terms of advertising jargon, I detest the use of "gift" as a verb. It sounds horribly pretentious to me. Please give me a present, don't "gift" me with one.

In  terms of everyday mistakes, I am constantly bothered by the use of the wrong pronoun in multiple constructions. It seems to me that the last couple of years I way more often hear people saying things like "Me and my sister went to the beach" or "Mike gave the ball to Tim and I" when it should be "I and my sister" in the first instance and "Tim and me" in the second. This is as likely to happen with third person pronouns (he/him and she/her) as the first person. I know that this has always been a fairly common mistake but it seems to have now reached epidemic proportions. 

6 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

Reiterate. Iterate is fine.

Heh.  This reminds me of the LOST pilot episode, when they hear Rousseau's SOS and it says "iteration ______."  Then Sayid does the math in his head to figure out how long it's been playing, and (I think) Charley is like "guys, where are we?"  Very good point that iteration already means "repeating" something.

4 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

‘This is why we science’. Oh geez, no.

Agreed!  Using science as a verb is annoying and seems to be increasingly prevalent in recent years.  I blame Jesse Pinkman - "yeah Mr. White!  Yeah science!"

4 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Literally

Yeah, that's literally a good one.  Even when people misuse it in conversation there's a voice in the back of my head being like "why are you saying literally here?"

Gonna stop quoting, but I especially agree with two others mentioned - "guesstimate" and "touch base."  The first is just conceptually a really dumb and unnecessary word, and the second is definitely something you'll hear in the workplace from the biggest douche in the office that annoys you.

2 hours ago, Ormond said:

In terms of advertising jargon, I detest the use of "gift" as a verb. It sounds horribly pretentious to me. Please give me a present, don't "gift" me with one.

In  terms of everyday mistakes, I am constantly bothered by the use of the wrong pronoun in multiple constructions. It seems to me that the last couple of years I way more often hear people saying things like "Me and my sister went to the beach" or "Mike gave the ball to Tim and I" when it should be "I and my sister" in the first instance and "Tim and me" in the second. 

I was always taught it should be "My sister and I" not the other way around no?

10 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

Oh, good ones. To add to your list: "tap." Like in, "Trump taps legal heavyweights for defense." I hate it.

If the word "beer keg" isn't somewhere in the sentence, I agree it's annoying.

17 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

I was always taught it should be "My sister and I" not the other way around no?

Personally I do not see what would be wrong with "I and my sister" if it is the subject of a sentence. I don't remember ever being told that "I" had to come last in such a construction. But I hear people say "My sister and me went to the store" frequently. The grammatical error doesn't just happen when the pronoun comes first. 

My classmates and I were definitely taught to use that construction.  (Putting the 1st person pronoun as the second part of a compound subject.)  I graduated high school in 91 if this was taught differently in other eras.  I have a vague recollection that it was mostly as a rule of politeness.

When in doubt about I or me drop the other part of the subject and see if it sounds right or wrong...

4 hours ago, Ormond said:

Personally I do not see what would be wrong with "I and my sister" if it is the subject of a sentence. I don't remember ever being told that "I" had to come last in such a construction. But I hear people say "My sister and me went to the store" frequently. The grammatical error doesn't just happen when the pronoun comes first. 

I was taught that isn't grammatically incorrect, but that saying "I and ..." is egocentric and rude.

49 minutes ago, dornishpen said:

I was taught that isn't grammatically incorrect, but that saying "I and ..." is egocentric and rude.

That's very interesting. I was never taught that, and I certainly didn't learn English either at home or school from egocentric and rude people! :)

Archived