Westeros Fantasy Baseball 2020

Week

It is that time again! Who is in? WJ -- any interest in returning this year? Would be great to get back to 10(+).

I'll track down the 2019 results -- suffice it to say, it was neck and neck between Groz and myself at the end. Good guys winning in the end, of course. :)

In terms of changes, I'll take a look to see what we can tweak. Unfortunately, Wins+QS as a stat is not an option to replace QS. I believe that it is available in other platforms (i.e. Fantrax) -- I would be willing to look into setting up there if there is sufficient league interest in a change. Otherwise, let's get the old gang and whomever new (or rejoiners) and let's bang on some trashcans!

On 2/10/2019 at 10:34 AM, Week said:

Superb Owl is over again and it's time to get focused on America's Pastime. Any interest in another full season AND any interest in a Dynasty league? 

@Whiskeyjack - 
 @Bronn Stone
 @grozeng -
 @fuentez1138 - 
 @Jaime L - 
 @Arch-MaesterPhilip - 
 @Mexal - 
 @PyroclasticFlow - 
 @grozeng

Last year's standings:

Rank   Team Points Pts Change Pts Back Waiver Budget Waiver Moves
1.   Driftwood Stanes 108 -2 - $0 1 123
2.   Summerhall Slags 84 -0.5 24 $51 8 90
3.   Riverrun Toreadors 73 2.5 35 $27 9 63
4.   Horn Hill Ser Piggys 70.5 2 37.5 $60 3 91
5.   Sunspear Shariffs 70 -3 38 $85 7 58
6.   Ghost Hill Revenant 66 2 42 $36 6 104
7.   Harlaw Krakens 57 1 51 $93 4 169
8.   Storm's End Stags 55.5 -1 52.5 $60 2 30
9.   Valyrian Freeholders 55 0 53 $58 10 76
10.   Harrenhal Harlots 21 -1 87 $50 5 4

From the start of last year:

I'm in again. I'm ready to end Week's reign of tyranny. Just need to study up and learn who the good players are in baseball that don't play for the Nats. Apparently the Dodgers got this Cookie Betts guy who sounds pretty good. 

Would prefer sticking with Yahoo out of familiarity/history.

@Whiskeyjack 
 @Bronn Stone
 @grozeng 
 @fuentez1138
 @Arch-MaesterPhilip 
 @Mexal 
 @PyroclasticFlow 
 @grozeng

I got dumped out of this league (I think it was this one) for some reason in the middle of the season last year, but I'm interested.

For me, the problem is remembering I have a Yahoo team, as ESPN is my daily sports site and where all my non-Westeros fantasy teams are (well I have one through a friend that is email based, but that's in my email, so I can't forget it like I did with this league last year).

Anyway, I'm available if you need a tenth or whatever, and I don't miss draft dates.

I'd be happy to be in a dynasty league.

You can put me down as a maybe, but probably no.

I just don't like playing for a full season.  But I know a lot of you like that.  And not asking you to change it for me - don't want to ruin it for anybody who cares, when I'm lukewarm about playing even if the settings are perfect.

On 2/5/2020 at 2:46 PM, Whiskeyjack said:

You can put me down as a maybe, but probably no.

I just don't like playing for a full season.  But I know a lot of you like that.  And not asking you to change it for me - don't want to ruin it for anybody who cares, when I'm lukewarm about playing even if the settings are perfect.

C'mon broski. Do ittttt!

On 2/5/2020 at 12:14 PM, honeyed chicken said:

I got dumped out of this league (I think it was this one) for some reason in the middle of the season last year, but I'm interested.

For me, the problem is remembering I have a Yahoo team, as ESPN is my daily sports site and where all my non-Westeros fantasy teams are (well I have one through a friend that is email based, but that's in my email, so I can't forget it like I did with this league last year).

Anyway, I'm available if you need a tenth or whatever, and I don't miss draft dates.

I'd be happy to be in a dynasty league.

Hey HC -- I don't remember that we've had you in a league before. We only had 9 last year, so it would've been great to have a 10th. Hope that either you or WJ (or both and another) can join!

One other change that I would suggest, is to change at least a starter slot to a P and change to SV+HLDs. I don't love how valuable an SP-eligible RP getting saves is -- so this would be an attempt to expand fantasy viable relievers and disincentivize the rare SP-eligible saves machines. Thoughts?

On 2/6/2020 at 4:33 PM, Week said:

One other change that I would suggest, is to change at least a starter slot to a P and change to SV+HLDs. I don't love how valuable an SP-eligible RP getting saves is -- so this would be an attempt to expand fantasy viable relievers and disincentivize the rare SP-eligible saves machines. Thoughts?

I'd be fine with giving it a try although HLDs is the least sexy stat in baseball. Find it hard to recognize or get excited about my guy getting a HLD.

The real answer is Yahoo needs to be better about removing SP eligibility for guys who've clearly become closers.  

On 2/12/2020 at 11:38 AM, Jaime L said:

I'd be fine with giving it a try although HLDs is the least sexy stat in baseball. Find it hard to recognize or get excited about my guy getting a HLD.

The real answer is Yahoo needs to be better about removing SP eligibility for guys who've clearly become closers.  

Agree with both points. The problem that I would like to solve is saves -- their scarcity and impact of that scarcity. Two(?) years ago I think that I pretty much won solely because of Bud Norris as a closer with SP-eligibility. Adding holds and/or increasing RP slots might dull some of that effect.

I wish yahoo would be better about eligibility -- that's just never going to happen unfortunately.

On 2/17/2020 at 9:42 AM, Week said:

Agree with both points. The problem that I would like to solve is saves -- their scarcity and impact of that scarcity. Two(?) years ago I think that I pretty much won solely because of Bud Norris as a closer with SP-eligibility. Adding holds and/or increasing RP slots might dull some of that effect.

I wish yahoo would be better about eligibility -- that's just never going to happen unfortunately.

I ran with this last year with Ian Kennedy, he held SP eligibility while racking up saves.

Also down for the grind again this year, count me in.

• 1 month later...

Well, I got busy and then the world went to poop. I guess we'll check in when there is a date for the season to actually start...

• 3 months later...

@Whiskeyjack @PyroclasticFlow @Jaime L @JJ Lannister @grozeng  @Bronn Stone @fuentez1138
 @Arch-MaesterPhilip @Mexal 

I'm going to wait and see for a week before diving back in to organizing this. The MLB seems to be a clusterfuck at the moment -- not sure that we're going to have a season to watch/play unless they clean up and test up this week. 

Archived