Things To Do In Chicago

ljkeane

So I'm going to have a few days in Chicago in April. For some reason people in the UK tend to either go to the East Coast or California when they visit the US so I'm a bit shorts on tips for things to see and do. As it stands my current plans are to have a deep dish pizza and see if I can get tickets to a Cubs game.:dunno:

I've had some good results from asking the board in the past so any recommendations or advice would be much appreciated.

Last time I was in Chicago my conference was at Palmer House, great hotel that has its own history/fun ghost story.  Right down the street was Pizano's pizza.  Probably the best deep dish I've ever had.

Here is the post I wrote for people on this board regarding visiting Chicago back in 2012 before Worldcon was here.  While geared towards people coming for Worldcon and a few years old, a lot of this is still on point and might give you an idea of a few things to do:

If you have any specific interests and want more pointed recommendations, let me know.

I'll just add regarding the weather, in April, Chicago can literally be anything from snow and winter like temperatures to in the 50s and totally grey and raining everyday to sunny and in the 70s.  So maybe check a few days before you come to see what the weather trend is like at that time if you want to be prepared for that.  Especially if you are planning on going to a baseball game.  I can't tell you how many Chicago White Sox opening games I've been to where you sat there in a down coat freezing!

Regarding sports, depending on the days you are here and I suppose depending on how they are performing near the end of their seasons there is the potential that the Chicago Bulls basketball team and/or the Chicago Blackhawks hockey team could have games at the United Center.

Thanks for the tips guys.

13 minutes ago, lady narcissa said:

I'll just add regarding the weather, in April, Chicago can literally be anything from snow and winter like temperatures to in the 50s and totally grey and raining everyday to sunny and in the 70s.  So maybe check a few days before you come to see what the weather trend is like at that time if you want to be prepared for that.  Especially if you are planning on going to a baseball game.  I can't tell you how many Chicago White Sox opening games I've been to where you sat there in a down coat freezing!

Yeah, I'm going to be in Canada beforehand so probably similar issues. It'll be the end of April so hopefully the weather will be ok but I'm not too fussed if it's going to be a bit cold.

Great thread by the by way. Thanks for that.

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The Chicago Institute of Art is amazing.  I really enjoyed both the Field Museum and the Shedd Aquarium.

I do like to visit a museum or two. Cheers Scot.

8 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Thanks for the tips guys.

Yeah, I'm going to be in Canada beforehand so probably similar issues. It'll be the end of April so hopefully the weather will be ok but I'm not too fussed if it's going to be a bit cold.

Great thread by the by way. Thanks for that.

I do like to visit a museum or two. Cheers Scot.

One other thing.  My wife and I are Architecture buffs.  We walked into the "Chicago Cultural Center" randomly because the building looked interesting.  It has some amazing Tiffany stained glass domes and beautiful interior Architecture. 

https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/depts/dca/supp_info/chicago_culturalcenter.html

If you have time to get out of Chicago proper you should go to Oak Park and take a "Frank Lloyd Wright" tour.  I love his houses and Buildings.  

https://flwright.org/tours?gclid=Cj0KCQiA7OnxBRCNARIsAIW53B_o51It_pJXYzsDgqwqdPErQ6txWdDPMLBy5dz8GjhzaXGC-kmpaqYaAhUEEALw_wcB

1 hour ago, Paxter said:

Ummm you're coming to Canada? Toronto perchance?

No, it's Vancouver. On a bit of a whim I decided to have a bit of a stopover for a few days on the way back and Chicago's somewhere I haven't been before.

1 hour ago, Paxter said:

Chicago is a great city. Definitely do an architecture tour (even just one of the river cruises) and maybe a food tour if you can fit it in.

I've seen a few architecture tours advertised. Is a river cruise a good way to do it or do you miss doing it that way.

1 minute ago, ljkeane said:

I've seen a few architecture tours advertised. Is a river cruise a good way to do it or do you miss doing it that way.

It's just a different perspective.  Obviously the boat tours are limited to the Chicago River and some go out a bit onto Lake Michigan so you can only see what you can from there whereas walking or bus architecture tours are not so restricted.  There is architecture to see in all corners of the city and not everything is on the river or the lake.  But there is quite a bit to see on the boat tours.  And everyone who I know who has come here and taken the boat tours has really enjoyed them.  Your determining factor might be the weather.  Its not so fun to do if not a nice day.

15 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

No, it's Vancouver. On a bit of a whim I decided to have a bit of a stopover for a few days on the way back and Chicago's somewhere I haven't been before.

Shame! 

But yes, I agree with @lady narcissa, let the weather determine if the boat ride is the way to go. The walking tours are great too. 

4 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I’ve a friend who was in Chicago in February around two years ago and she did quite a few walking tours that sounded interesting. She also visited the institute of art which she said was great, and she really isn’t an art-y person.

https://aroundthestatesin180days.wordpress.com/2018/02/18/day-39-chicago/

(link to day one of her time there)

Cliche as it is, you have to get yourself a selfie at the top of the Sear's Tower (I think it was renamed, but am too lazy to look).

Also, make sure to look up where to and not to go. That can change really quickly in a lot of neighborhoods and you don't want to get lost in the wrong part of town. Otherwise the city is great. 

As a life long Illinoisan, where do I start?

You can go shopping on the Magnificent Mile, if you have the money for it.

Navy Pier.

Museum of Science and Industry.

Shedd Aquarium.

Field Museum.

Any of the beaches along Lake Shore Drive.

The sky deck of the Sears tower.

I could go on.

I hope you have a great trip.  April is too early to see Chicago at its best, unfortunately.  Suggested quick hits for a short trip:

- architecture river tour.  Simply the best tourist option in the city.

- since you’ll be at Navy Pier for the river tour, drop in to Robert’s Pizza afterward just off Illinois St (at the canal) — not a Chicago deep dish pizza, but the best pizza in the city nonetheless 

- forget about the Cubs or Sox in April, unless you’re crazy about baseball.  Bulls or Blackhawks might be worth an evening but both are in the doldrums atm.

- stroll along the river walk to reach the Loop from Navy Pier and Roberts Pizza.

- if you really want Chicago deep dish pizza, then Lou Malnati’s is the place (River North).  Don’t go to any Italian restaurant near the tourist foot traffic.

- the Art Institute is always good, and is close to the sculptures park in Millenium Park too (e.g. the Bean)

- The Field Museum, Planetarium and Shedd Aquarium are all right beside each other, and next to a part of the lakeshore trail with great views.

- The Museum Of Science And Industry is further from downtown but very much worth a visit.  Definitely do a tour of the U-boat.  You can also visit Fermi Lab but there’s very little to see in the visitor center and you cannot go into the particle accelerator.

- if tall buildings are a novelty for you, then the Willis (Sears) Tower sky deck or the John Hancock viewing deck are good.  The former is higher but the latter has a better view. 

- Theater options are usually good: the Goodman, the Steppenwolf and the Chicago Shakespeare Theater are my preferred options for drama.  If you prefer musicals or something light, there’s always options in the theater district in the Loop.  But Hamilton has just finished it’s run of three years.

- forget about the beaches or water sports on the lake.  And the trees will still be bare in the parks.  And no cherry blossoms that I can think of (you need Washington DC for that).

- I’m biased but Streeterville/River North/Gold Coast are the best places to stay, hit restaurants, shop and stroll around.  West Loop has great restaurants too, but take a cab there for dinner rather than stay there.  Wicker Park, Logan Square, etc offer a cool vibe of their own, but I wouldn’t stay there unless friends are hosting you there.

- if you like improv, then Second City is very good.  If you prefer stand-up comedy then there are two clubs in Oldtown with journeymen comics, or else you can check the Chicago Theater for a big name on a national tour.

- Breakfast/Brunch: tourists go nuts for Wildberry just off Millenium Park (pre-fuel for the Art Institute), especially their pancakes.  There are lots of options.  I like Eggs Inc for a more basic option with very good food.

- For restaurants, I have loads of suggestions if you tell me what kind of food you like and whether you want the emphasis on the food, the presentation/experience or the scene.

- Bars: D4 is a very good Irish bar without being an annoying cliche.  If you prefer cliche Irish bars, then just throw a rock.  Howells & Hood is a decent spot just off Michigan Avenue if you’re in the tourist zone.  Rush Street has all the buzzing party spots.

- Edit: forgot to mention the Museum of Contemporary Art. I’ve always enjoyed it but I know it’s not for everyone.

Adding another vote for the architecture boat tour, as well as the Art Institute and the Museum of Science and Industry.

If you are into craft beer, find your way up to Hopleaf. The food there is solid as well.

Quimby's Queer Store (or maybe it's just called Quimby's Bookstore now?) is one of my favorite stores in the country. Lots of zines and underground comics and books from independent publishers. Myopic Books is not far from there, if you need even more books.

I kind of love the Billy Goat Tavern for a quick burger and a cheap beer, plus it's an excuse to go down to the lower level of Michigan Ave.

Thanks guys. Lots of good stuff.

10 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

- For restaurants, I have loads of suggestions if you tell me what kind of food you like and whether you want the emphasis on the food, the presentation/experience or the scene.

Thanks but I'm more of a wandering into somewhere that catches my eye rather than planning it out kind of person when I'm on holiday. I only really make an exception for local cuisine that worth checking out. Thus the deep dish pizza.

10 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

- Bars: D4 is a very good Irish bar without being an annoying cliche.  If you prefer cliche Irish bars, then just throw a rock.  Howells & Hood is a decent spot just off Michigan Avenue if you’re in the tourist zone.  Rush Street has all the buzzing party spots.

Are there any Liverpool supporters bars that are worth going to? I'm thinking there might be a possibility they'll get presented with the trophy while I'm there.

9 hours ago, Mr. X said:

Quimby's Queer Store (or maybe it's just called Quimby's Bookstore now?) is one of my favorite stores in the country. Lots of zines and underground comics and books from independent publishers. Myopic Books is not far from there, if you need even more books.

Cool. I'll check it out.

I'm really not a fan of Lou Malnati's either.  I don't like their crust.  Plus I feel like their deep dish pizza is more medium depth pizza and not truly deep dish.  But lots of people think its the best.

Personally if I were a tourist looking for the novelty of deep dish pizza I would just go with Giordano's because theirs is the deepest and you get that true DEEP dish experience plus the pizza is overall pretty tasty....especially if you eat meat and get it with pepperoni. 

As for football viewing, I am no expert on this but apparently there is an "official" Liverpool FC Supporters Club of Chicago (you can look them up on facebook and twitter) and they watch the games at AJ Hudsons.

http://www.ajhudsons.com/info.php

Archived