Things To Do In Chicago

ljkeane

I was in Chicago for the first time for a conference last fall, and had a few extra day to myself. I heartily second the recommendations to check out the museums; they're really very good. Except, perhaps, the Museum of Science and Industry. I thought it was a bit too kids-focused to be enjoyable for an adult by themself. I'm glad it exists, but I didn't get much out of it. Also, it's aways off from Grant Park/Museum Campus; instead of being right there with the rest of them.

A kinda small thing worth doing if you walk past it: getting a hotdog from Portillo's.

MSI is pretty kids-oriented and a little older/less flashy than the Loop museums, but I really like it! Maybe I'm biased because it's in my neighborhood. The Art Institute is fantastic, and I say that as someone who has only a mild interest in art at best. It's absolutely enormous and you'll probably get tired of walking around before you can even get close to seeing it all.

In April you're definitely better off opting for indoor activities, unfortunately. It has been a mild winter, so maybe it won't be snowy/freezing by then but...no guarantees. Also baseball sucks anyway :P . If you're interested in food/dining/cocktails, there are a million options and it's hard to go wrong, but my favorite is probably West Loop. For coffee, Wicker Park has some ridiculous number (I don't actually know if it's more than other neighborhoods, but it certainly feels like it!).

Willis Tower (formerly the Sears Tower) is cool, but also not all that special if you've been in tall buildings before. The better option IMO is 875 North Michigan Avenue (formerly the John Hancock Center). It's not *quite* as high, but you can go up and grab a drink at The Signature Lounge for only the cost of a pricey drink. Or if you have a bit more money/inclination, they have a really good brunch buffet at The Signature Room.

There are also great shows to watch in Chicago! I don't know what will be playing in April, but I've been here ~2.5 years now and seen Hamilton, The West Side Story, Cats, and some others. Bands stop here super frequently, so it's worth taking a look to see if anyone you're interested in will have a show.

Another endorsement of the river architecture tour, it's consistently a top-ranked tourist activity. I did it myself in non-ideal November weather, and it was fine as long as you're dressed for it. I'd give Navy Pier a pass, honestly. It's a big tourist trap without anything to justify the attraction. The lake is amazing, but you can see that from any number of less crowded, noisy, and expensive spots. I love the little peninsula where the aquarium/planetarium are. The Lakeshore Trail goes around it and there are stellar views of the city and the lake.

Anyway, Chicago is an absolutely fantastic city, except for the weather. I'm sure you'll find tons to do! 

Thanks guys. Looks like the boat tour is definitely the way to go. I'll do the John Hancock building as well since I can't be bothered with multiple tall buildings.

Just as an aside since I mentioned going to Canada in this thread I've had Canadian adverts on a few of the podcasts I listen to. I don't think we're far away from Skynet becoming self aware and deciding to kill us all.

Archived