Rank your 2020 TV shows throughout the year

Corvinus85

Rules Guidelines:

• Rank the seasons of shows that are released this year.
  • You may expand your list to older seasons/entire shows if you feel like it, or you can have two separate lists, which I think would work better to give readers your thoughts on how new shows fare against each other.
  • But if you missed out on a show that aired late last year, and you sneak it in with shows from this year, that's fine. Or go back to the 2019 thread.
  • Rank however you wish: numbers 1-infinity, quality grades (great, mediocre, bad, clusterfuck)
  • Simply list the shows, or talk a bit about them

To start off, the year is still young, so not much to say.

Messiah (Netflix) - not bad, but I feel the mystery is better than the eventual answers; the show had a good dance between religious and secular themes, which I liked, but I can see how it could be controversial.

Currently watching The Outsider (HBO) and Star Trek: Picard.

1) Sex Education, Season 2 - binged this and the first season together, and thought the second was an improvement on the already fantastic season 1. Great use of comedy while still tactfully hadnling sensitive issues.

2) The Good Place - only the final few episodes actually aired this year so the ranking for this will likely end up poorer than it would have been. Excellent finish to the series though.

3) Grace and Frankie - it was ok, but as usual the pacing felt off, some of the jokes failed to land, and the plot really feels repetitive now. Not the specific details, but the general arc seems to be the same season-to-season. There is only so much traction you can get out of ‘i’m not getting old!’ before the audience begins to switch off.

eta: 6weeks into the year and i am already convinced i have forgotten something.

For the sake of my memory when i come back in later weeks/months, i am currently watching The Stranger on Netflix. So far it feels like a longer but shitter version of the BM episode Shut Up and Dance

1. BoJack Horseman (season 6b) - the show could have continued (it was Netfix's decision to end it with season 6, not the creative team's), but if it had to end, this was probably the best possible ending. Still, if they revived it,  I'd be overjoyed. This is one of my all time favorite shows and certainly one of the best and most unique shows in recent years. I don't know where I'd rank season 6 - certainly above seasons 1 and 2 and below seasons 5 and 4. Probably about the same as season 3. 

2. The Good Place  (season 4b)- unlike BoJack, this show really needed to have a definite ending, and it was one planned by the creative team. Not all of season 4 was great, but the finale was amazing. 

3. Evil - one of the best new shows this season. Big networks have surprised me by featuring some interesting and original shows like this. I already ranked it on the 2019 list, but the last few episodes aired this season and were all excellent, so the show will probably be even higher on the 2020 list. Unless they screw it up with season 2.

4. Emergence - another good new SciFi show on a network. Unfortunately, since it's on a big network (ABC), its chances of getting renewed are not great, based on that nonsense that are Nielsen ratings. Fingers crossed. If it doesn't get renewed, I guess we can ignore the cliffhanger from the last couple of minutes - and the rest of the finale would be a satisfying ending to the show.

Ongoing shows I'm watching: Star Trek: Picard, Harley Quinn, Prodigal Son - which is getting better and better and will probably be placed higher than in 2019. The last episode was fantastic. I particularly like the humor that  the show is unexpectedly full of, particularly lately.

Also watching The Witcher - but I don't know if I'll put it on this list or the 2019 one. There are also other shows from 2019 that I need to finish. 

The only thing I've seen this year and disliked is See. Another show released in late 2019, I only saw the first episode and hated it, so I don't think I'm gonna continue. It's dull and based on a terrible premise that makes no sense, and there's really nothing in it that really draws me to the show.

• 4 weeks later...

I can start a list now. None of the shows on this list were anywhere near outstanding, but they all had their good moments.

1. Altered Carbon – not as good as first season and may be the last. A few choices diminished the characterization of the protagonist. It was still strong on the visuals, and I’m still intrigued about its universe.
  2. The Outsider – Had a very strong opening, then meandered somewhat, up until the last couple of episodes, which finished fairly well. Well-acted throughout.
  3. Beforeigners – An enjoyable dark comedy with an interesting premise, if the execution wasn't that strong. Most of the characters were fun.
  4. Messiah  – not bad, but I feel the mystery is better than the eventual answers; the show had a good dance between religious and secular themes, which I liked, but I can see how it could be controversial.
  5. Locke & Key – an interesting premise, and great visuals; predictable season ending, and in the end not that compelling of a story

1. Better Call Saul, starting off strong

2. The Outsider, pretty good series beginning to end. First two episodes were as good as anything. It found it's level after that and kind of stayed there.

3. Altered Carbon, although it wasn't nearly as good as S1 it was still interesting.

4. Deputy, watched one episode and quit

5. Bone collector tv series, watched one episode and quit

I think this is all I have so far, likely forgetting something though.

On 2/7/2020 at 12:15 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

1) Sex Education, Season 2 - binged this and the first season together, and thought the second was an improvement on the already fantastic season 1. Great use of comedy while still tactfully hadnling sensitive issues.

2) The Good Place - only the final few episodes actually aired this year so the ranking for this will likely end up poorer than it would have been. Excellent finish to the series though.

3) Grace and Frankie - it was ok, but as usual the pacing felt off, some of the jokes failed to land, and the plot really feels repetitive now. Not the specific details, but the general arc seems to be the same season-to-season. There is only so much traction you can get out of ‘i’m not getting old!’ before the audience begins to switch off.

eta: 6weeks into the year and i am already convinced i have forgotten something.

For the sake of my memory when i come back in later weeks/months, i am currently watching The Stranger on Netflix. So far it feels like a longer but shitter version of the BM episode Shut Up and Dance

1) Sex Education, S2

2) The Good Place, series finale

3) Dracula (missed this off my last list somehow. Would rate this higher if it was only a two-parter but the third episode was a steaming pile of... Well anyway I did not enjoy that episode) 

4) Locke and Key, season one. Fine I guess, mindlessly entertaining. Pretty shallow plot and characters but passable as something to kill the time

5) Grace and Frankie

6) The Stranger. Pretty dire, nothing anyone did made any sense, the "shocks" were eye-roll inducing and/or blatantly obvious and the resolution was stupid. 

Forgot I watched Sex education S1 and S2 this year, Ill put that above altered Carbon and just below The Outsider and reserve the right to switch those two later on. Currently on Mrs. Maisel S1, should catch up so S3 and then I'll add to my list.

22 hours ago, dbunting said:

1. Better Call Saul, starting off strong

2. The Outsider, pretty good series beginning to end. First two episodes were as good as anything. It found it's level after that and kind of stayed there.

3. Altered Carbon, although it wasn't nearly as good as S1 it was still interesting.

4. Deputy, watched one episode and quit

5. Bone collector tv series, watched one episode and quit

I think this is all I have so far, likely forgetting something though.

• 2 weeks later...
  1. Lost in Space Season 2 - There is something so irrestistible about this show. I find it so amazing.
  2. Altered Carbon Season 2 - Falcon is not Takeshi.
  3. Grey's anatomy Season 16 - this one will not die nicel

Watching Outlander, planning to watch Locke and Key, The English Game etc. I am really off this year. 2020 sucks. 

Update:

1. Kingdom (Korean Netflix show) - a highly entertaining second season. Maybe not as solid as season 1, but still excellent, with a numbers of good twists and turns. Interested to see how the story evolves.
  2. Altered Carbon – not as good as first season and may be the last. A few choices diminished the characterization of the protagonist. It was still strong on the visuals, and I’m still intrigued about its universe.
  3. The Outsider – Had a very strong opening, then meandered somewhat, up until the last couple of episodes, which finished fairly well. Well-acted throughout.
  4. Beforeigners – An enjoyable dark comedy with an interesting premise, if the execution wasn't that strong. Most of the characters were fun.
  5. Messiah  – not bad, but I feel the mystery is better than the eventual answers; the show had a good dance between religious and secular themes, which I liked, but I can see how it could be controversial.
  6. Locke & Key – an interesting premise, and great visuals; predictable season ending, and in the end not that compelling of a story

Disclaimer: I know this list isn't following the guidelines as strictly as some people care for, but this is how I catalog my TV viewing. Anyway, these are all complete seasons of shows I've watched and/or completed watching in 2020 ranked from most to least favorite.

01.   Mr. Robot – S4
02.   Fleabag – S1
03.   Good Place - S4
04.   Legion – S3
05.   You’re the Worst – S2, S3, S4
06.   Curb Your Enthusiasm – S10
07.   Tiger King [Netflix docuseries]
08.   High Fidelity – S1
09.   Lost In Space – S2
10.   Fleabag – S2
11.   Avenue 5 – S1
12.   Carnival Row – S1
13.   World According To Jeff Goldblum – S1
14.   Killer Inside: Mind of Aaron Hernandez
15.   Pharmacist [Netflix docuseries]
16.   Cheer – S1
17.   Brooklyn Nine-Nine – S6
18.   Letterkenny – S8
19.   Littlekenny – S1
20.   Archer – S10
21.   McMillions [HBO]
22.   Hunters – S1
23.   Movies That Made Us – S1
24.   The Witcher – S1
25.   Hot Ones – S10-11
26.   Killing Eve – S1

On 3/10/2020 at 6:56 AM, dbunting said:

Forgot I watched Sex education S1 and S2 this year, Ill put that above altered Carbon and just below The Outsider and reserve the right to switch those two later on. Currently on Mrs. Maisel S1, should catch up so S3 and then I'll add to my list.

Well I knew I had forgotten some shows, came out in December so i'm putting them with 2020.

Better Call Saul - one of the best shows on right now

Marvelous Mrs Maisel, watched all three seasons this year, S1 was the best

The Outsider

Lost in Space S2

McMillions

Altered Carbon S2

The Witcher

Currently binging The Americans.  Very good so far, couple episodes into S2 now.

I've stalled on a few series already in 2020 but the two series I've so far finished, ranked in order, would be:

Babylon Berlin s3

Kingdom s2

Westworld s3 has been good so far. Valhalla Murders is decent.

1. Narcos: Mexico s2- Despite losing some good characters from s1, I enjoyed this season way more. 

2. Curb Your Enthusiasm- I appreciate it.

3. The Outsider- It started out good but lost steam at the end, exactly like the book.

On 3/20/2020 at 9:36 PM, Risto said:
  2. Grey's anatomy Season 16 - this one will not die nicel

I’m kinda shocked this is still on. I would’ve guessed that it ended in like 2013.

16 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

...3The Outsider- It started out good but lost steam at the end, exactly like the book...

I literally just finished this series. Not quite sure where I'd rank it yet, but it is definitely in the top 15. The final episode was pretty satisfying. The series could've been 8 episodes and trimmed a bit of the fat off as far as the "tension building" long shots and the looooong road to get the Ben Mendelsohn character to where he needed to be. Cynthia Erivo as Holly Gibney was outstanding. Gimme another season or two of her.

Updates:

1. Kingdom (Korean Netflix show) - a highly entertaining second season. Maybe not as solid as season 1, but still excellent, with a numbers of good twists and turns. Interested to see how the story evolves.
  2. Altered Carbon – not as good as first season and may be the last. A few choices diminished the characterization of the protagonist. It was still strong on the visuals, and I’m still intrigued about its universe.
  3. The Outsider – Had a very strong opening, then meandered somewhat, up until the last couple of episodes, which finished fairly well. Well-acted throughout.
  4. Beforeigners – An enjoyable dark comedy with an interesting premise, if the execution wasn't that strong. Most of the characters were fun.
  5. Star Trek: Picard - well this should have been better; slow start, strong build up, meh finale. It demands more exploration of the world. Patrick Stewart was strong, but I didn't feel much attachment to the new characters. Maybe that will improve next season. 
  6. Messiah  – not bad, but I feel the mystery is better than the eventual answers; the show had a good dance between religious and secular themes, which I liked, but I can see how it could be controversial. (Edit: show's been cancelled)
  7. Locke & Key – an interesting premise, and great visuals; predictable season ending, and in the end not that compelling of a story
  8. The Letter for the King - on par with GoT season 8. Stuff happened because of reasons, character development was stunted. I suppose it has the excuse of being YA, but it was still mostly trash. It had the weirdest, slowest magical good v. evil duel I've ever seen, with no explanation whatsoever. 

• 2 weeks later...
  1. Lost in Space Season 2 - There is something so irrestistible about this show. I find it so amazing.
  2. The English Game
  3. Altered Carbon Season 2 - Falcon is not Takeshi.
  4. Grey's anatomy Season 16 - this one will not die nicel

This one was written by Julian Fellowes of Downton Abbey fame. And while it has all the elements of Downton, simply, it's not as engaging. They need a granny with acerbic tongue :D 

Lastly, the main character lead actor, the one who played the honorable Arthur Kinniard could have been a wonderful substitute in MCU as Captain America.

• 4 weeks later...

A bunch of updates:

1. Star Wars: The Clone Wars – when it comes to series finales, this show is in the group that had exceedingly strong finishes. While the 3 arcs were not of the same quality, it was consistently strong on the visual side. Also, an amazing soundtrack.
  2. Kingdom (Korean Netflix show) - a highly entertaining second season. Maybe not as solid as season 1, but still excellent, with several good twists and turns. Interested to see how the story evolves.
  3. Westworld – I liked it, mainly thanks to the show producing a interesting world. I continued to like the characters, too, though the plot was at times lackluster.
  4. Altered Carbon – not as good as first season and may be the last. A few choices diminished the characterization of the protagonist. It was still strong on the visuals, and I’m still intrigued about its universe.
  5. The Last Kingdom – I was disappointed in how much it diverged from both books and history. I had too high hopes that this show could be more unique, rather than follow in the path of other shows. Alas, while still mostly fun, it may not be that special anymore.
  6. The Outsider – Had a very strong opening, then meandered somewhat, up until the last couple of episodes, which finished fairly well. Well-acted throughout.
  7. Outlander – depending how it ends, it could change spots on the list. But while still looking wonderful, the story this season was incredibly slow and boring.
  8. Beforeigners – An enjoyable dark comedy with an interesting premise, if the execution wasn't that strong. Most of the characters were fun.
  9. Homeland – an ok final season, but with some hard to believe and digest plot twists. I’m glad it’s over.
  10. Star Trek: Picard - well this should have been better; slow start, strong build up, meh finale. It demands more exploration of the world. Patrick Stewart was strong, but I didn't feel much attachment to the new characters. Maybe that will improve next season. 
  11. Messiah – not bad, but I feel the mystery is better than the eventual answers; the show had a good dance between religious and secular themes, which I liked, but I can see how it could be controversial. (Edit: show's been cancelled)
  12. Locke & Key – an interesting premise, and great visuals; predictable season ending, and in the end not that compelling of a story
  13. The Letter for the King - on par with GoT season 8. Stuff happened because of reasons, character development was stunted. I suppose it has the excuse of being YA, but it was still mostly trash. It had the weirdest, slowest magical good v. evil duel I've ever seen, with no explanation whatsoever. 

A bunch of updates, since I haven't updated this in a while. I finished Star Trek: Picard over a month ago, whenever it was the last episode aired. I'm gonna do it Corvinus style and add to my previous descriptions, New additions in red.

1.  The Plot Against America - David Simon's excellent mini-series based on Philip Roth's alternative history novel about a 1940s USA where a pro-Nazi president was elected. It's done in a really believable way, where the plot feels really realistic and as something that could have easily happened (and still could happen), and it's particularly chilling because things get slowly and gradually worse before people even realize they live in a Nazi country, and the story makes this brand of Nazism very recognizably American rather than a copy of German Nazism. 

2. BoJack Horseman (season 6b) - the show could have continued (it was Netfix's decision to end it with season 6, not the creative team's), but if it had to end, this was probably the best possible ending. Still, if they revived it,  I'd be overjoyed. This is one of my all time favorite shows and certainly one of the best and most unique shows in recent years. I don't know where I'd rank season 6 - certainly above seasons 1 and 2 and below seasons 5 and 4. Probably about the same as season 3. 

3. Harley Quinn (season 1/season 2) - the hiatus for this show didn't last long, season 1 ended a couple of months ago and season 2 started not long after, and is still ongoing This animated R-rated comedy take on the DC universe and Batman's Gotham is one of the funniest  and wittiest shows I've watched in years. The writing, the animation and the voices are all excellent, and all the main characters are somehow incredibly likable. I love the way they made the Joker a complete a-hole and the way they dealt with his and Harley's relationship.

4. The Good Place  (season 4b)- unlike BoJack, this show really needed to have a definite ending, and it was one planned by the creative team. Not all of season 4 was great, but the finale was amazing. 

5. Evil - one of the best new shows this season. Big networks have surprised me by featuring some interesting and original shows like this. I already ranked it on the 2019 list, but the last few episodes aired this season and were all excellent, so the show will probably be even higher on the 2020 list. Unless they screw it up with season 2.

6. The Witcher season 1 - I don't know if it counts since the show was released last year, but it was late last year, so I'm adding it. I wasn't impressed by the first episode, but the show turned out quite enjoyable. It has quite a few flaws, though I wasn't as bothered by the chaotic timeline as most people seemed to. I haven't read the books or played the games (not a gamer!), but most of the stories were interesting, Yennefer is a really memorable character wit ha compelling story, I really like Henry Cavill as Geralt (though I didn't like him as Superman), and I like the fact that - in spite of the misleading Game of Thrones comparisons - the show is a very different brand of epic fantasy: unabashedly sword-and-sorcery without doing the "oh this a political pseudo-period drama for people who don't like fantasy" thing, not grimdark, not male gazey. Season 1 felt like a setup season, but the show has a lot of potential to get much better.

7. Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist season 1 - This show turned out to be quite a surprise, as its premise (a woman gains the power to hear other people sing their true feelings in the form of various popular songs) made it seem like a quirky musical comedy, but it turned out to be a warm musical dramedy, with emphasis on drama, that deals with issues including illness and loss of a parent,. In the time of grimdark and grittiness, it is rare to something that's so non-cynical and full of empathy and faith in humanity, and at the same time modern and diverse. Would be higher if it weren't for the love triangle at the center and the way it was developed in the last few episodes (some things rubbed me the wrong way).

8. Star Trek: Picard season 1 - It is great to see Patrick Stewart back as Picard, and I really liked how the show handled his character and some others well-know Trek characters (particularly Seven of Nine). The new characters were also compelling, particularly Santiago Cabrera's Captain Rios. However, the plot had some issues, especially towards the end, and the finale was predictable in many ways.

9. Emergence season 1 - another good new SciFi show on a network. Unfortunately, since it's on a big network (ABC), its chances of getting renewed are not great, based on that nonsense that are Nielsen ratings. Fingers crossed. If it doesn't get renewed, I guess we can ignore the cliffhanger from the last couple of minutes - and the rest of the finale would be a satisfying ending to the show.

As you can see, I liked all the 2020 (or late 2019) shows I've watched. The only exception is See - but I disliked the first episode so much and found the premise so silly that I never bothered to watch further, and I have no intention to.

I've also watched shows from previous years: Peaky Blinders (seasons 1-2) was excellent, and I will continue the show, Penny Dreadful was quite interesting and got really good in season 2 and parts of season 3, but the ending was a big disappointment. Orphan Black (I'm in season 3) is fun, but its main strength it is main actress. 

Currently watching The Last Kingdom season 4, Outlander season 5 (need to catch up), Prodigal Son season 1, Stumptown season 1, The Outsider (need to finish these three), and watching weekly: What We Do in the Shadows season 2, Penny Dreadful: City of Angels, Roswell: New Mexico season 2, and Harley Quinn season 2 (may go up or down on the list as it's currently at 2x05).

Archived