12. Raised by the Wolves Season 1
  13. Lovecraft Country Season 1
  14. Hollywood
  15. The English Game
  16. Altered Carbon Season 2
  17. Young Sheldon Season 3
  18. Outlander Season 5
  19. Grey's Anatomy Season 17

While I was completely let down by Lovecraft Country and Raised by the Wolves, THe Mandalorian and His Dark Materials completely delivered. Pascal is amazing as the one true father in Hollywood these days. The show is rather nice and I truly like the main character. 

As for His Dark Materials, simply, Ruth Wilson. She is amazing in every scene and her confrontation with Lyra this season will be the scene to remember. Dafne Keen and Amir Wilson are also amazing and they have a great chemistry.

Spoilers from the finale of His Dark Materials

Spoiler

One could sense they really missed that Asriel episode and that cameo we got was EPIC. The way he talked, the way he looked, unfortunately, there's a story we won't be seeing. 

I’ve lost my list but BBC News is at the bottom of the list. Opening episodes of this year were extremely tense and set high stakes but the plot went off the rails in March and just kept getting more and more unbelievable. I’m a fantasy nerd so i’m all for suspension of disbelief but this plot was just too wacky and unrealistic. 0 out of 5, i want a refund of my time and energy.

13 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I’ve lost my list but BBC News is at the bottom of the list. Opening episodes of this year were extremely tense and set high stakes but the plot went off the rails in March and just kept getting more and more unbelievable. I’m a fantasy nerd so i’m all for suspension of disbelief but this plot was just too wacky and unrealistic. 0 out of 5, i want a refund of my time and energy.

I'm glad that Daffy Donald in the White House was cancelled. That sitcom had really run its course and was never as funny as people expected it to be.

On 12/22/2020 at 6:47 AM, Annara Snow said:

I'm glad that Daffy Donald in the White House was cancelled. That sitcom had really run its course and was never as funny as people expected it to be.

Can we please collectively call 2016-2020 the "Gas-leak Season of United States politics?"

Happy New Year, everyone! I wish you all the best- happiness, joy, success... and most of all, health and vaccines for everyone!

My list for 2020 as of the last day of the old year - all new additions in red:

2020 shows

Great:
1.   Dark season 3
2.   Normal People
3.   Harley Quinn season 1 and 2
4.   Babylon Berlin seasons 1-3
5.   The Haunting of Bly Manor
6.   The Plot Against America
7.   BoJack Horseman season 6b
8.   Unorthodox - I really liked this short miniseries based on a real life story of a woman who ran away from her Orthodox Jewish community in New York and her unsuccessful arranged marriage. Excellent main actress, newcomer Shira Haas. 
9.   After Life season 2 aired in 2020, but I saw both season 1 and 2 this year (I actually have 2 more episodes to go but I doubt it will change its place). It is both a warm, beautiful dramedy and a really funny off-beat comedy.
Excellent:
10.  Upload season 1
11.  What We Do in the Shadows season 2
12.  The Boys season 2 - better than season 1, with some interesting character development and some astute, if unsubtle, satire. Homelander is probably the best villain on TV.
13.  Perry Mason season 1
14.  Kingdom season 2 (I saw both seasons 1-2 this year)
15.  The Good Place season 4
16.  Evil season 1
17.  The Alienist: Angel of Darkness (The Alienist season 2)
18.  The Queen’s Gambit - stylish miniseries, great music and cinematography and really good central performance, but a bit overhyped.
Pretty good:
19.  The Umbrella Academy season 2
20.  His Dark Materials season 2 - it was really compelling most of the time, but the series finale felt abrupt and anticlimactic. Some of that may be because of Corona, but not all of it.
21.  Love, Victor season 1
22.  Penny Dreadful: City of Angels season 1
23.  Prodigal Son season 1
24.  The Witcher season 1
25.  Agents of SHIELD season 7
26.  Roswell: New Mexico season 2
27.  Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist season 1
28.  Star Trek: Discovery season 3 - the show has picked up and found its groove after season 1, but season 3 hasn't been as good as season 2. Just two more episodes left, but it doesn't feel like it - it feels like this is old school 22 episode season, as the show spent episodes on various fun standalone stories but hasn't properly developed the main arc.
29.  The Mandalorian season 2
30.  Lovecraft Country season 1 - A really intriguing and ambitious mess of a show. When it was good, it was really good, but it never all came together, and the finale was very disappointing.
OK:
31.  Star Trek: Picard season 1
32.  Stumptown season 1
33.  Emergence season 1
Meh:
34.  The Outsider - It got dull and dragged out very soon, and only picked up a bit at the end, although Cynthia Erivo was great as Holly Gibney.
35.  Next season 1* - nothing bad about this contemporary SciFi thriller about rogue AI, but there's just nothing that especially grabs me about it. (it was cancelled. I still have 2 episodes to go, but I don't think the position will change)
Bad:
36.  Raised by Wolves season 1 - the show is terrible in all the same ways as Prometheus was. Great performances (esp. Amanda Collin), production values, but a total mess of a story.
Absolutely awful:
37.  The 100 season 7

Still watching: Devs, The Last Kingdom season 4, Barbarians season 1, and planning to finish all these and Westworld season 2 and 3 this week.

Shows from previous years I saw in 2020:

Great stuff:
1. The Haunting of Hill House
2. American Crime (all 3 seasons)
3. Peaky Blinders (seasons 1-2)
4. Orange is the New Black (season 1- 6)
5. 12 Monkeys (season 1(
Fine:
6. Westworld (season 1/2) - fell a few places because I've seen the first half of season 2; season 1 was great, but the show seems to be losing its point and purpose
7. The Tunnel (seasons 1-2)
8. Succession (season 1)
Real mixed bag:
9. Orphan Black
10. Penny Dreadful
11. Teen Wolf (season 4)
12. Fear the Walking Dead (up to halfway through season 5)
Eh, it's OK I guess:
13. Victoria (season 1)
Where did it all go wrong:
14. Wynonna Earp (season 3)

1. Dark Season 3
  2. The Queen's Gambit
  3. The Crown Season 4
  4. Mrs America
  5. The Mandalorian Season 2
  6. His Dark Materials Season 2
  7. Blood of Zeus Season 1
  8. Defending Jacob
  9. The Good Fight Season 4
  10. La Casa de Papel Season 4
  11. Lost in Space Season 2
  12. Bridgerton Season 1
  13. Raised by the Wolves Season 1
  14. Lovecraft Country Season 1
  15. Hollywood
  16. The English Game
  17. Altered Carbon Season 2
  18. Young Sheldon Season 3
  19. Outlander Season 5
  20. Grey's Anatomy Season 17

A cousin made me watch this and we have laughed and laughed. The show is not without some truly interesting parts - the supporting cast is absolutely amazing (especially Eloise) and they make up for the dull love story that is at the center of this series. Shonda Rhimes remains the queen of colorblind casting and the entire thing has been done flawlessly in that regard. Not my two cents but interesting enough.

Since there's no thread for 2021 yet and we're just out of 2020. I'll continue adding new shows here. I binged The Undoing during an HBO marathon on January 1st. (I have free HBO channels till 15th so I'll make use of that.)

2020 shows

Great:
1.   Dark season 3
2.   Normal People
3.   Harley Quinn season 1 and 2
4.   Babylon Berlin seasons 1-3
7.   BoJack Horseman season 6b
8.   Unorthodox  
9.   After Life (season 2 aired in 2020, but I saw both season 1 and 2 this year )
Excellent:
10.  Upload season 1
11.  What We Do in the Shadows season 2
12.  The Boys season 2 
13.  Perry Mason season 1
14.  Kingdom season 2 (I saw both seasons 1-2 this year)
15.  The Good Place season 4
16.  Evil season 1
17.  The Alienist: Angel of Darkness (The Alienist season 2)
18.  The Queen’s Gambit
Pretty good:
19.  The Umbrella Academy season 2
20.  His Dark Materials season 2 
21.  Love, Victor season 1
22.  Penny Dreadful: City of Angels season 1
23.  Prodigal Son season 1
24.  The Witcher season 1
25.  Agents of SHIELD season 7
26.  Roswell: New Mexico season 2
27.  Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist season 1
28.  Star Trek: Discovery season 3

29. The Mandalorian season 2
30.  Lovecraft Country season 1
OK:
31.  Star Trek: Picard season 1
32.  Stumptown season 1
33.  Emergence season 1
Meh:
34.  The Outsider
35.  Next season 1*

Bad:
36.  Raised by Wolves season 1
37. The Undoing -  Excellent performances (Nicole Kidman, Hugh Grant) and was compelling throughout - until the resolution, which was so disappointing that it makes the entire miniseries really meh.
Absolutely awful:
38.  The 100 season 7

ETA: somehow The Mandalorian got deleted by mistake, added it

I'm rounding out my 2020 list. Still got The Expanse, which is half in '20, half in '21.

Updates

1. The Boys – another great season, with excellent character development, and as strong as ever in satirizing our modern cultural values. There were some moments of lazy writing, but not enough to diminish my enjoyment of it.
  2. Star Wars: The Clone Wars – when it comes to series finales, this show is in the group that had exceedingly strong finishes. While the 3 arcs were not of the same quality, it was consistently strong on the visual side. Also, an amazing soundtrack.
  3. Kingdom (Korean Netflix show) - a highly entertaining second season. Maybe not as solid as season 1, but still excellent, with several good twists and turns. Interested to see how the story evolves.
  4. The Mandalorian - it may not be perfect, but it's damn good Star Wars. Visually it is the best show right now on TV.
  5. Dark - a pretty good final season, but even more convoluted than the preceding seasons. Not 100% neatly tied up, but overall a strong finish.
  6. His Dark Materials - a good show, visually beautiful, with strong characters, but there are pacing issues. Sometimes I find myself forgetting about it.
  7. Marvel's Agents of SHIELD - more ups that downs; a lot of fun moments, good endearing moments, interesting plot twists; these characters became very likable as the show progressed. It stuck the landing pretty well.
  8. Westworld – I liked it, mainly thanks to the show producing a interesting world. I continued to like the characters, too, though the plot was at times lackluster.
  9. The Umbrella Academy - season 2 worked much better for me than season 1. I found most aspects about the show to have been improved. 
  10. Altered Carbon – not as good as first season and now cancelled. A few choices diminished the characterization of the protagonist. It was still strong on the visuals, and I’m still intrigued about its universe.
  11. Barbarians - I appreciated their attempt at historical accuracy, between the Latin speak, and pretty good costumes, but they also stumbled in places; the story and characters were ok, but nothing really mesmerizing. 
  12. Brooklyn Nine-Nine – I’ve returned to this show this summer, re-watching and then watching all the new stuff; season 7 was released earlier this year; it was good and fun for the most part, but this kind of show deserves a longer season; I didn’t like the Holt premise in the early part, I feel it stretched belief more than anything this show has done
  13. The Last Kingdom – I was disappointed in how much it diverged from both books and history. I had too high hopes that this show could be more unique, rather than follow in the path of other shows. Alas, while still mostly fun, it may not be that special anymore.
  14. Lovecraft Country the sum of its parts is not as great as some of its parts; the episodes were up and down in quality, but the good ones were really good.
  15. The Outsider – Had a very strong opening, then meandered somewhat, up until the last couple of episodes, which finished fairly well. Well-acted throughout.
  16. Star Trek Discovery - this season showed promise, but then went back to the typical crap the writers can't seem to want to shake off. One more episode to go.
  17. Beforeigners – An enjoyable dark comedy with an interesting premise, if the execution wasn't that strong. Most of the characters were fun.
  18. Homeland – an ok final season, but with some hard to believe and digest plot twists. I’m glad it’s over.
  19. La Révolution - a familiar fantasy story of monsters vs people wanting to change the system but with the setting of late 18th century France. However, for all the lofty eulogies, epic music, and good visuals, the show felt small, the story confined in a bubble, without really wishing to explore the actual lead up to the French Revolution.
  20. Raised by Wolves – Ridley Scott is not the showrunner, but he is EP, and his influence is apparent; an interesting premise, but as the story progressed it started to feel a lot like Scott’s Prometheus/Alien universe. Only a couple of the characters were good.
  21. Outlander – While still looking wonderful, the story this season was incredibly slow and boring, and its ending had some poor creative choices, to put it mildly.
  22. Star Trek: Picard - well this should have been better; slow start, strong build up, meh finale. It demands more exploration of the world. Patrick Stewart was strong, but I didn't feel much attachment to the new characters. Maybe that will improve next season.
  23. Lucifer – a fun show; I binged the whole thing a few months ago, and Netflix released a batch of new episodes in August; I feel the show peaked somewhere around the end of season 2 and parts of season 3. The newer stuff is mostly meh. 
  24. Messiah – not bad, but I feel the mystery is better than the eventual answers; the show had a good dance between religious and secular themes, which I liked, but I can see how it could be controversial. (Edit: show's been cancelled)
  25. Locke & Key – an interesting premise, and great visuals; predictable season ending, and in the end not that compelling of a story.
  26. Warrior Nun - wooden dialogue, mediocre acting, generally bad visuals, failure for the cast to actually learn Spanish despite the setting, the occasional good moment, and crap cliffhanger ending. I don't care if it returns.
  27. The Letter for the King - on par with GoT season 8. Stuff happened because of reasons, character development was stunted. I suppose it has the excuse of being YA, but it was still mostly trash. It had the weirdest, slowest magical good v. evil duel I've ever seen, with no explanation whatsoever. 

I opened this thread thinking and feeling that I had hardly watched *anything* this year (2020 - I haven't made the switch yet ok) because I feel like I spent long periods not watching due to a lack of concentration and life force, generally. But after reading your responses I realised that I have seen a few things this year but it was largely at the early and final points of the year - with a big chunk of nothing in the middle where I just watched the news and baking/cooking shows.

No absolute order here so I won't use numbers

Dark S3 - For quality I don't think anything beats this show. I think it's a masterpiece.

The Mandalorian S1 & S2 - We watched the first season week to week as it was released by Disney in the UK (around Easter) and that was the biggest comfort blanket ever during an incredibly bleak time where I felt like all we watched was the news about how many people were dying. I'm being completely serious when I say that it was the only thing which made me feel anything positive on some weeks and I will always love it for that reason. And I think S2 was even better.

His Dark Materials S2 - Much like S1 I was worried this show would let me down but it never did. I have discussed it in more detail in the thread here but Ruth Wilson is incredible, what they have done with the daemons to show characterisation is amazing. Lorne Balfe's soundtrack is great too.

Westworld 3 - I kept expecting to be disappointed by this show but it kept surprising me and I still absolutely LOVE the piano reduction work of Ramin Djawadi. That man is a god of soundtracks. 

Devs - I thought this was really high quality drama. More like this please. (just been reminded that it aired in 2020).

The Wilds - I just watched this a few days ago. It really scratched my itch for Lost nostalgia - anyone who liked Lost should enjoy this show. It held my interest enough to blast through it in one day. I only realised very close to the end that it wouldn't be concluded in one season. :(

The Alienist 2 - We had to wait ages for this in the UK for some reason. :angry: I only watched it yesterday - the whole thing in one day. I thought it worked very well - the narrative and the characterisation of the main characters. I found it quite satisfying and if that is the end then so be it. 

The Haunting of Bly Manor - wow, a lot of people ragged on this, huh? Didn't like it as much as the first season? I thought it was even better actually. There is more than one type of ghost story - they aren't all about jump scares and monsters. This season really stuck it with the theme and remained authentic throughout. I thought it was so good at that. And it made me feel actual emotions for the main characters. The only criticism I will accept is about the weird accents but apart from that it was just so good. And it was scary too!

SW: Clone Wars - I'll pop this in because we are doing a Full On SW Rewatch (started just before Christmas 2020). In a way it makes me sad because it gives more personality to the characters who populate the PT and that makes the performances from the actors in those look bad, frankly. It has its highs and lows but I'm glad it exists.

The Expanse S5 - Five out of six eps seen in 2020 and I can't see the final ep ruining it. Watching the first four eps of this in one sitting on Boxing Day evening was pretty full on. It's what I remember from the books, it was FULL ON action and revelation. Ultimate escapism.

What We Do in the Shadows S2 - Thank goodness for this earlier in the year when we were all desperate for a laugh. Even if not every single joke lands it is still MUCH funnier than most comedies I have ever seen on TV and I am grateful for that.

Dracula - Honestly, was this in 2020? Right after this I watched The Affair S5 which also features Claes Bang. I wasn't going to watch it because I felt it should have finished after S4...but I was wrong because S5 was great television. Anyway, Dracula - I love that mini series exist and you can take an idea and do impressive things with it over just a couple of hours. Weak final installment but definitely doing something fresh with the character.

Some other stuff I dabbled in...

Snowpiercer DNF - watched a few eps in one go but then stopped and just didn't care what happened

Lovecraft Country DNF - watched six episodes and will finish it one day if it kills me*. I liked many things about it, but I just found that I didn't care if I found out what happened or not.

The Witcher DNF - I wasn't even going to bother watching at all (I've read the books) but I thought I'd see what it was like. I just found it to be a crushing waste of time and I wished I hadn't bothered watching even a single episode. Bleugh.

*watched one more episode after writing this post and having to listen to HIPPO-LIGHTER pronounce her own name wrong repeatedly was physically painful. Not sure I'll be able to continue.

1. Dark Season 3
  2. The Queen's Gambit
  3. The Crown Season 4
  4. Mrs America
  5. The Mandalorian Season 2
  6. His Dark Materials Season 2
  7. Blood of Zeus Season 1
  8. Defending Jacob
  9. Rise of the Empires: Ottoman
  10. The Good Fight Season 4
  11. La Casa de Papel Season 4
  12. Lost in Space Season 2
  13. Bridgerton Season 1
  14. Raised by the Wolves Season 1
  15. Lovecraft Country Season 1
  16. Hollywood
  17. The English Game
  18. Altered Carbon Season 2
  19. Young Sheldon Season 3
  20. Outlander Season 5
  21. Grey's Anatomy Season 17

I thought this one was a drama, and then it turned out to be a documentary, and then I found out it is actually a docuseries. Wonderfully narrated by Charles Dance, the story is about Mehmet the Conqueror and his conquest of Constantinople. The history buffs will surely love it. I know I have thoroughly enjoyed it.

• 2 weeks later...

Before the new 2021 thread is started, I suppose this is the place to add more shows from 2020 that we've seen, as we did last January. I have one addition - The Wilds, a new show that came out in December and that I binged over a few days.

2020 shows

Great:
1.   Dark season 3
2.   Normal People
3.   Harley Quinn season 1 and 2
4.   Babylon Berlin seasons 1-3
7.   BoJack Horseman season 6b
8.   Unorthodox  
9.   After Life (season 2 aired in 2020, but I saw both season 1 and 2 this year )
Excellent:
10.  Upload season 1
11.  What We Do in the Shadows season 2
12.  The Boys season 2 
13.  Perry Mason season 1
14.  The Wilds season 1 - The show has flaws, but is very interesting and addictive. I binged it almost without pausing. It does the Lost format "a bunch of people trapped on an island, struggling to survive + flashbacks fleshing out their backstories" very well - here with 8 teenage girls. I still don't know what to think about the overall plot (I can't call it a mystery, as we pretty quickly learn what is really happening) and the show's main antagonist, but the character stuff is really good.

15.  Kingdom season 2 (I saw both seasons 1-2 this year)
16.  The Good Place season 4
17.  Evil season 1
18.  The Alienist: Angel of Darkness (The Alienist season 2)
19.  The Queen’s Gambit
Pretty good:
20.  The Umbrella Academy season 2
21.  His Dark Materials season 2 
22.  Love, Victor season 1
23.  Penny Dreadful: City of Angels season 1
24.  Prodigal Son season 1
25.  The Witcher season 1
26.  Agents of SHIELD season 7
27.  Roswell: New Mexico season 2
28.  Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist season 1
29.  Star Trek: Discovery season 3