SPFBO Books

Eric Cartman

First thread, so apologies if this is duplicated. Did a check but couldn't find related topics...

For those who are not aware: 

Wiki:

The Self-Published Fantasy Blog-Off (SPFBO) is an annual literary contest intended to bring greater visibility to self-published English-language fantasy authors.

The SPFBO has been operated since 2015 by the author Mark Lawrence. He distributes about 300 novels submitted by the authors to ten fantasy bloggers to review. Each blogger selects a finalist, which is then reviewed by all ten bloggers. The winner is the finalist with the highest average review score.

So how many follow this or read these books? I've read some and familiar with others. Some really hidden gems out there imho.

Grey Bastards - Jonathan French, Sufficiently Advanced Magic - Andrew Rowe, Orconomics - Zachary Pike, Here Be Dragons David P MacPherson are among those I rate and think deserve more visibility 

20 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Have the eBook, have not read yet. I understand a sequel is either due to come out or has already arrived.

Yes. Son of lIche. Also quite good! 

20 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I need to read more of those. Grey Bastards is the one that stands out that I've read.  Was Senlin Ascends on there? That one is gold.

Yes, It was also in SPFBO and won last year iirc.

Never Die and Sword of Kaigen are asian inspired books this year. Both really good too! 

2 hours ago, Eric Cartman said:

That's awesome. They do deserve more visibility. 

I just started Paternus by Dyrk Ashton from 2016 edition!

Its a great work. Dyrk is awesome.

Fun fact: I recommended Zachary Pike submit ORCONOMICS.

It's awesome that he won.

I've read a bunch of these lately (thanks to Kindle Unlimited) and the common thread is that while the plotting and most of the characterizations are fine, some of these authors are in desperate need of professional editing.  There are things like, too many POVs, unrelated characters who talk the same, repetition of phrases in descriptive text, long sequences that are humorous but had absolutely nothing to the story other than a non-sequitur joke. 

All that said, I have read some indie books that definitely are as good as any random release from Tor or something. 

On 2/11/2020 at 12:47 PM, C.T. Phipps said:

Its a great work. Dyrk is awesome.

Fun fact: I recommended Zachary Pike submit ORCONOMICS.

It's awesome that he won.

Already did that. One of the most refreshing books, I've read in long time. Sequel is also great! 

Starting Grey Bastards next. 

I enjoy the GREY BASTARDS but it's a bit....well intense in the misogyny (which is part of the lesson our heroes learn).

I recommend WHERE LOYALTIES LIE as my all-time favorite.

RHENWARS SAGA by M.L. Spencer didn't win but is one of my picks for who should have won.

Ditto KINGS OF PARADISE.

Strangely I have not finished Senlin Ascends. Put it off after about 100 pages due to work and didn't feel like picking it up again. Somehow never grabbed me. 

I will finish it a bit later ofc, but still probably the best rated book, that didn't hook me there. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived