Pronunciations & Roy Dotrice

Lyanna<3Rhaegar

So, I've never listened to an audio book before but have heard good things about Mr. Dotrice so I got aGoT on audible & started listening...

IT'S DRIVING ME NUTS!

Ok I know the names are hard sometimes & I don't even blame him for calling Daenerys 'Dan-air-ee-is' or even Ilyn 'Ill-ee-in' but if he calls Joffrey 'Jeffrey' one more time or cannot decide if Cat is 'Cat-a-lin' (short A's, 3 syllables) or 'Cate-lin' (long A, 2 syllables) I'm going to scream!

And for God's sake Petyr is 'P-Tar'?!?! I just can't handle it. 

He also called Grenn, Green but only once so far & he says Braavos as Brave-os but I can forgive those too. 

I'm curious to know, since people said good things about his narration, are all audible books like this? Are Roy's mistakes little in compared to others? 

Am I pronouncing these things wrong? I'm fairly certain I looked up the pronunciations long ago but that doesn't mean I didn't get any wrong. 

1 hour ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Am I pronouncing these things wrong? I

Well, you are spelling and prolly pronouncing ROY DOTRICIE’s name wrong, does that count? :lol:

But Roy is genius and I love him forever. I’m already upset b/c I know I won’t get Winds read by Dotrice. :crying: 

Some of his pronunciations are off, like Pe-tair and  Brieene (as in Bri from bright), and even eeronwood (yronwood, which I just read Ironwood). And there’s some that change from audiobook to audiobook. But that’s not on him but the producers, who should have given him refresher clips of previous books for both voice and pronunciation.  

And it’s not so much that his mistakes (which are not necessarily his) are better than others’, but the heart and souls he pours into Every. Single. Character. 

I :love: Roy Dotrice forever. 

46 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Well, you are spelling and prolly pronouncing ROY DOTRICIE’s name wrong, does that count? :lol:

But Roy is genius and I love him forever. I’m already upset b/c I know I won’t get Winds read by Dotrice. :crying: 

Some of his pronunciations are off, like Pe-tair and  Brieene (as in Bri from bright), and even eeronwood (yronwood, which I just read Ironwood). And there’s some that change from audiobook to audiobook. But that’s not on him but the producers, who should have given him refresher clips of previous books for both voice and pronunciation.  

And it’s not so much that his mistakes (which are not necessarily his) are better than others’, but the heart and souls he pours into Every. Single. Character. 

I :love: Roy Dotrice forever. 

Haha!! Guess I put my foot in my mouth there didn't I?! I'll fix it.

He does bring life to the characters & I thoroughly enjoy that. The pronunciations were even only a slight annoyance until Petyr. 

Yeah, you have to just put up with some of the odd ways he decided to pronounce names.

Bri-eene was a big irritant (I think he changes it to Bree-en in a later book).

Myr is another one, as I recall. I think he says "Mire."

His initial choice of accent for Missandei was widely criticized and he changed it.

I agree that he should have been provided with guidance on pronunciation early in the process of recording the audio.

26 minutes ago, Seams said:

Yeah, you have to just put up with some of the odd ways he decided to pronounce names.

Bri-eene was a big irritant (I think he changes it to Bree-en in a later book).

Myr is another one, as I recall. I think he says "Mire."

His initial choice of accent for Missandei was widely criticized and he changed it.

I agree that he should have been provided with guidance on pronunciation early in the process of recording the audio.

Yeah absolutely. I don't think it was his fault, I still can't pronounce half the names in Mereen. 

On 2/9/2020 at 6:08 PM, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

So, I've never listened to an audio book before but have heard good things about Mr. Dotrice so I got aGoT on audible & started listening...

IT'S DRIVING ME NUTS!

Ok I know the names are hard sometimes & I don't even blame him for calling Daenerys 'Dan-air-ee-is' or even Ilyn 'Ill-ee-in' but if he calls Joffrey 'Jeffrey' one more time or cannot decide if Cat is 'Cat-a-lin' (short A's, 3 syllables) or 'Cate-lin' (long A, 2 syllables) I'm going to scream!

And for God's sake Petyr is 'P-Tar'?!?! I just can't handle it. 

He also called Grenn, Green but only once so far & he says Braavos as Brave-os but I can forgive those too. 

I'm curious to know, since people said good things about his narration, are all audible books like this? Are Roy's mistakes little in compared to others? 

Am I pronouncing these things wrong? I'm fairly certain I looked up the pronunciations long ago but that doesn't mean I didn't get any wrong. 

He switches voices between books, which is more confusing!

I am listening to him read The World of Ice and Fire at the moment, as that book is too big to read in bed.  I agree I find the pronunciation a bit difficult, and I feel like sometimes he thinks he's finished a sentence and hasn't (which is common in audio books).  For these reasons, and others you mentioned, I haven't been able to purchase the main series on audio as I think it jars too much with what's in my head!

I got Fire and Blood as my free audio book and I really enjoyed it, and I felt Harry Lloyd made me care even more about Dunc and Egg.  I will say though, that even great books can be hampered by the narrator, so I have to be really selective.  A lack of consistency, not understanding the context, misreading syntax, and just phoning it it seem to be common unfortunately.

I am definitely enjoying listening to TWOIAF but I feel too protective of ASOIAF to hear anyone else read it.  (Probably why I had problems with the abomination from s2 too :P)

Archived