US Politics - Primary Numbers

Mlle. Zabzie

5 hours ago, DMC said:

It is when you think he'll win Virginia.  Positive thinking now, c'mon!

The clip I really wanted to link was when Hathaway's character hears Caine reciting this again, rolls her eyes, then turns it off.  That'd be funnier and more appropriate.  But, couldn't find that one quickly.

Unlike the poem I'm entreating you to rail against me as well :p 

But mostly there's just a sense of powerlessness as a foreigner watching it all. The outcome has a huge global impact, albeit much less than it has within the US, and all we can is encourage the Americans we know to turn out and vote. Something I think you should always do, pessimism aside, because I'm from a county with compulsory voting so everyone doing it is just normal to me.

18 minutes ago, karaddin said:

But mostly there's just a sense of powerlessness as a foreigner watching it all. The outcome has a huge global impact,

Especially in regards to climate change, given how influential the USA could be in addressing it. I think I agree with Chomsky's view that the modern Republican party is the most dangerous organisation in human history.

1 hour ago, Simon Steele said:

Our primary ballots came in the mail today! Not due until March. I just filled it out and sent it in. Super excited. Also, it's still got Marianne Williamson and Corey Booker on there--I thought they had dropped.

They would have had to inform the election officials in your state that they had dropped out BEFORE the ballots were printed. And I am sure states require a communication in writing from a candidate who has qualified for their ballot before they remove them. 

7 minutes ago, Liffguard said:

Especially in regards to climate change, given how influential the USA could be in addressing it. I think I agree with Chomsky's view that the modern Republican party is the most dangerous organisation in human history.

Remember what I said before? Republicans have just said it's okay for foreign governments to interfere in our elections.

Get on it, there are a lot of Republicans with skeletons in their closests. 

11 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Sure he does, and he knows legacies are written by the winning side.

That's not really true, at least in terms of the substantive effect you're referring to.  The historians that will shape the narrative on Barr's role in the Trump administration will overwhelmingly be inclined to treat him..critically.  Thing is, he don't give a shit, and there's no reason for him to - because eggheads are just part of the Comintern, duh.

55 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Republicans have a slim chance of winning the long game.

When turnout is 40%, suppression is at an all time high, 30% of the population has 70 senators, and climate change makes more people more insular and more xenophobic?

Come on, man. 

52 minutes ago, DMC said:

That's not really true, at least in terms of the substantive effect you're referring to.  The historians that will shape the narrative on Barr's role in the Trump administration will overwhelmingly be inclined to treat him..critically.  Thing is, he don't give a shit, and there's no reason for him to - because eggheads are just part of the Comintern, duh.

Something I've learned recently is precisely how little I knew about my own nation's horrible history. And I'm sure I have even more to learn. Barrs conduct will either be a small footnote of badness or stated as a generally calming influence on Trump in that he was willing to go along with things. He isn't going to be marred by some grand horribleness because trump wanted an asshole to get a lighter sentence. Or any of the other bullshit hes doing. He will be remembered as a loyal republican, a good AG to two different POTUS, and maybe a hero. 

4 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

When turnout is 40%

Uh, in presidential cycles?  Not since, like, the Jacksonian era.  In midterms, sure, but 2018 was a big boost.  See here.

Just now, Kalbear said:

Barrs conduct will either be a small footnote of badness or stated as a generally calming influence on Trump in that he was willing to go along with things. He isn't going to be marred by some grand horribleness because trump wanted an asshole to get a lighter sentence.

Barr's gonna take some lashes but yeah, you're generally right.  Kissinger gets shit all over in academic settings, but he's still camping out next to the UN - as if he's perpetually sticking his tongue out.

Anyway, just heard Yang is out.  I can't believe the majority of the anti-Sanders vote in NH ended up between Pete Buttigieg and Amy Klobuchar.  You Can't Predict Baseball Politics.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Let's not pretend Michael Moore has ever not been insufferable.

Let us not pretend that all of have ever not been insufferable!

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Republicans have a slim chance of winning the long game.

Ya, we'll win by all our kids and grandkids and great grandkids dying off, like the dinosaurs from lack of breathable air, potable water and nutritious food. 

1 minute ago, Corvinus said:

Yang is out. Who will his supporters go for?

He's at 3 percent in NH.  The distribution of 3 percent among 3-4 viable candidates is quickly reduced to more of an existential question.

Archived