US Politics - Primary Numbers

Mlle. Zabzie

Continuing....

@Tywin, maybe I'm wrong about Klobuchar.  I hope I am, because she's a natural choice for where I sit on the political spectrum.

@ Mormont et. al.  I'm not a natural Democrat in a lot of ways, so I don't think it's just pure pessimism.  My totally anecdotal pessimism comes from people outside of my "bubble", including in my family, who don't particularly love Trump, but can find something to hate about almost every single viable Democratic candidate (with potential exceptions of Klobuchar (but salad), and Bloomberg (but soda ban proposal).

This was in reply to @Triskeles comment about Jewish Bloomberg coming for guns in the last one, but by the time I hit submit the post was closed.

I think if Bloomberg gets the nomination there will be lots of antisemitic conspiracy theories, but they won't be primarily about guns, they will be about Jews buying elections and controlling the world, basically a 21st century version of Rothschild stuff except with Bloomberg instead of Soros (since he's already the 21st century version of this). Guns may play a minor role, but they won't be a major part.

If Sanders gets the nomination there will be lots of antisemitic conspiracy theories about Jewish Marxism/Bolshevism/communism and Sanders.

The first antisemitic conspiracy theory is much more current since it's currently in use with people like Soros, the second one hasn't really been a huge thing since communism fell and people learned how badly Soviet Jews were treated, but I'm sure it could return.

Aside from issues of antisemitism I don't think Bloomberg is a good candidate, I think he'll lose a lot of the left, a lot more than Clinton did, a lot more than Biden or Buttigieg would and I don't think he would bring any significant number of new voters. I also think the whole billionaires self funding their campaigns at levels that candidates who are not billionaires cannot compete with because they're limited by campaign finance laws concerning individual donation limits and no coordination with super pacs is extremely bad for democracy.

I also think Trump will be re-elected, I've long thought this, but I think it will be another close election and it may be another situation where he wins the electoral college and loses the popular vote.

On the other hand I'm absolutely coming at it from pessimism and have been his entire term. I am very very ready to be painted as an alarmist, but my biggest fear is that the voter suppression tactics are going to be more than can be overcome without a very large wave and none of the candidates seem to generate that much enthusiasm.

And partisan minded right wingers always come home when it's time to vote, even if he was managing to lose them they'll still rationalize everything once they get to cast their vote.

But my pessimism doesn't think you shouldn't try - absolutely do the very best you can, prove be wrong and claw back away from the precipice. Just make sure someone kills the absolute hack that's been writing the last 4 seasons of reality. I really need us to get back to a more grounded narrative with Nazis dead or hiding.

17 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

@Tywin, maybe I'm wrong about Klobuchar.  I hope I am, because she's a natural choice for where I sit on the political spectrum.

Yeah, I figured she’d be an ideal candidate for you. It’s funny, looking back at my time working for her I always struggled holding her more moderate lines, but as I’ve aged, I tend to agree with it more and more. I’m still very far to the left of her, but I’ve learned from my time working in legislatures that there’s no point in wasting your time on things that will never pass, which makes supporting a Sanders presidency incredibly hard. However, at the end of the day, anyone is basically better than Trump, and that includes a viscous plant.

30 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

so I don't think it's just pure pessimism.

It is when you think he'll win Virginia.  Positive thinking now, c'mon!

23 minutes ago, karaddin said:

absolutely do the very best you can, prove be wrong and claw back away from the precipice.

The clip I really wanted to link was when Hathaway's character hears Caine reciting this again, rolls her eyes, then turns it off.  That'd be funnier and more appropriate.  But, couldn't find that one quickly.

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yeah, I figured she’d be an ideal candidate for you. It’s funny, looking back at my time working for her I always struggled holding her more moderate lines, but as I’ve aged, I tend to agree with it more and more. I’m still very far to the left of her, but I’ve learned from my time working in legislatures that there’s no point in wasting your time on things that will never pass, which makes supporting a Sanders presidency incredibly hard. However, at the end of the day, anyone is basically better than Trump, and that includes a viscous plant.

Viscous Plant 2020 has my vote already.  Also, though Sanders and Warren aren't very different on platform, and leaving aside my own personal distaste for Sanders (#still better than a Viscous Plant), the reason I think Warren is a better choice is that I think she'd tack in practical directions and view half a loaf as better than none.  

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

It is when you think he'll win Virginia.  Positive thinking now, c'mon!

On VA, I think it comes down to turnout in the DC suburbs. I'm worried about turnout.  

12 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

On VA, I think it comes down to turnout in the DC suburbs. I'm worried about turnout.  

I see no reason why this trend should not continue from 2018.  As Maith said, only reason it wouldn't is Trump convincing people to give in to apathy or futile cynicism.  Was thinking about ridiculous slogans for any Dem voter that might be deeply disappointed with the eventual nominee (which is likely to be a substantial population).  For the South Park fans:  This time - Turd Sandwich >>>>>>>>> Giant Douche.

The bits and pieces of the DOJ are all in the swamp sewage with their master. These aren't people who would stop him for declaring for 3rd into infinity terms and just plain abolishing anything he wants to abolish and put in place anything he wants in place.

7 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

It occurs to me that many on the Right would accept Trump as unvarnished and undisguised "Dictator of the United States" if it means legalized abortion would stop and same sex marriage would no longer be legal.  

That's likely accurate. Conversely, many on the right would accept Trump as their dictator for no reason other than to own the libs. And there are probably more of them than there are the ones who would accept it for removal of abortion rights.

25 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I'm not surprised.  I wouldn't be surprised if the U.S. Attorney responsible for the case resigned outright in protest over this obvious interfearence by Pres. Trump.

iirc, Scot, Zelinsky did.

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I saw that he resigned "from the case".  I didn't see that he resigned outright.

He didn't. He resigned from the DC Attorney's office where he was a Special AUSA as they were handling the case. He's still a AUSA for DOJ in Baltimore.

Archived