Sign in to follow this  
Mlle. Zabzie

US Politics - Primary Numbers

22 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’m just floored he criticized Trump.  I didn’t think I’d see the day.

My reaction when I heard the story was "methinks he doth protest too much".

I don't know about all that. A lot of DoJ watchers are dubious that Barr's statement is anything more than show, and the fact that Jim Acosta just reported that they've been told Trump isn't upset by Barr's remarks is kind of telling (if it holds). The proof in the pudding will be if Trump stops tweeting commentary on the DoJ and its cases. I suspect he will not, and Barr will just shrug and disclaim any responsibility or means of counteracting.

49 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

No, he's basically complained that his primary job of covering up for Trump's crimes is impossible to deal with while Trump openly talks about on Twitter doing crimes.

45 minutes ago, Fez said:

As I discovered this weekend, my dad. He thinks Bloomberg is smarter than the candidates, would hire better people than the other candidates, and is more pragmatic than the other candidates. He thinks Bloomberg was a good NYC mayor and that he'd be a steady, normalizing force in the White House. No idea if he is representative of the aging, liberal, Jewish New Yorker vote, but there you go.

And for reference, he thinks Sanders has "some great ideas" but would "get killed" in an election against Trump.

He's not -- at least according to mine own purely anecdotal reports of friends and their parents and their grandparents!

22 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

If voters chose logically, sure.  But who is excited about Bloomberg?  Anybody?  Because there's a huge portion of the country that is excited about Trump. 

Just being the lesser of two evils is not enough for Democrats.   I think Bloomberg would be fairly easy for Trump to vilify and defeat. 

Who is really excited about anyone other than Sanders and maybe Pete?

6 minutes ago, Fez said:

Lol, true. Though there are a lot of them that live in Florida now, so that's two important states. But I wasn't trying to claim that there's a huge amount of legitimate Bloomberg support out there. Rather just an interesting anecdote. Especially since I'd have expected my dad to support Sanders (or Yang or Williamson if we count minor candidates who dropped out).

Jesus dude, why you gotta do your daddy like that? Shade has been thrown.

:P

On Bloomberg....daaaamn.

One of the biggest factors in a large number of black people’s primary voting criterion is who they think white people will vote for when the curtain closes behind them in the voting booth. We know Bernie has better policy plans. We know Elizabeth Warren is a better communicator. We have seen Buttigieg’s Douglass plan.

But we also know white people.

Donald Trump is proof of what they will do.

https://www.theroot.com/i-cant-believe-black-people-might-actually-vote-for-mic-1841611802

16 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I’m excited as fuck for Warren. I’m also preparing for this country to break my heart on that count and overlook the person who, as far as I’m concerned, is the best candidate by a mile.

16 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

No lie, I am super excited to support anyone very, very heavily after the primary. None of the candidates have earned my absolute undivided love, but all of the frontrunners I'd happily go and work for. Yes, that includes Bloomberg too. I can find good things about each and every one of them.

I have my preferences - probably Warren and Buttigieg out of the ones remaining - but I'm entirely going to go all in no matter what. And honestly based on the math I had I'm really tempted to just start going whole hog on Sanders, simply to get the primary done faster and unite dems earlier, and so far he's the only one who appears to have any chance of that. 

6 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

No lie, I am super excited to support anyone very, very heavily after the primary. None of the candidates have earned my absolute undivided love, but all of the frontrunners I'd happily go and work for. Yes, that includes Bloomberg too. I can find good things about each and every one of them.

I have my preferences - probably Warren and Buttigieg out of the ones remaining - but I'm entirely going to go all in no matter what. And honestly based on the math I had I'm really tempted to just start going whole hog on Sanders, simply to get the primary done faster and unite dems earlier, and so far he's the only one who appears to have any chance of that. 

Agree with all of this. And if the math suddenly changes, I'm ready to jump on whatever new bandwagon comes along.

21 minutes ago, Paladin of Ice said:

I’m excited as fuck for Warren. I’m also preparing for this country to break my heart on that count and overlook the person who, as far as I’m concerned, is the best candidate by a mile.

Rephrasing, excited for a viable candidate. Warren appears to be done.

21 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I have my preferences - probably Warren and Buttigieg out of the ones remaining - but I'm entirely going to go all in no matter what. 

That's a different conversation though. I too will be happy to canvass and phone bank and do whatever else is required for the nominee, but none of the remaining candidates excite me that much and I used to work for one of them. 

Why god why did you kill Harris' chances?!?!?

And honestly based on the math I had I'm really tempted to just start going whole hog on Sanders, simply to get the primary done faster and unite dems earlier, and so far he's the only one who appears to have any chance of that. 

Who are you and what have you done with The Bear of Kalington?

19 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Agree with all of this. And if the math suddenly changes, I'm ready to jump on whatever new bandwagon comes along.

Typical Oklahoman, jumping bandwagons at a moments notice. That's why you need the Crisco you slippery mofo.  

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

That's a different conversation though. I too will be happy to canvass and phone bank and do whatever else is required for the nominee, but none of the remaining candidates excite me that much and I used to work for one of them. 

It isn't a different conversation though. I am genuinely excited to support them quite wholeheartedly and passionately. I am legitimately excited for every single one to be our next POTUS. I get what you're saying and for you I suspect that's accurate, but for me I am absolutely super pumped to evangelize and get on board with the enthusiasm and glee of a 2012 Seattle Seahawks bandwagoner. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Who are you and what have you done with The Bear of Kalington?

I know, right? But again, really happy to support Sanders and endorse him, especially if he wins Super Tuesday strongly. I'm going to go try and convince my friends who absolutely hate that fucker to vote for him and support him too. It's genuine, happy enthusiasm.

I'm not looking forward to associating with some of his supporters, mind you, but I think Sanders the candidate is going to be perfectly great. 

I know we have been dogging 538's model but I found it concerning that no majority is listed as the most likely outcome. Might be interesting/horrible if this happens. If Sanders has 45% of delegates I say give him the nomination. If he has 26% we might have a real convention and all the chaos that goes with it. Perhaps an Amy/Pete ticket? 

5 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I agree with you. I wish more die hard Bernard supporters also agreed with you. Any Democrat is better than Trump.

There are far too many techbros that subscribe to variations of dark enlightenment and have a strong tendency towards accelerationism and it very much sounds like what you're seeing in them. Having future proof employment skills (at least for the near term future), a large salary and a bunch of inherent privilege really buffers you from all the harm and suffering that comes from the bottoming out that they imagine is the rock bottom they accelerate towards before the rebound that will of course leave them even higher on the pecking order (or so they think).

They suck.

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’m just floored he criticized Trump.  I didn’t think I’d see the day.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

I don't know about all that. A lot of DoJ watchers are dubious that Barr's statement is anything more than show, and the fact that Jim Acosta just reported that they've been told Trump isn't upset by Barr's remarks is kind of telling (if it holds). 

Yeah, I parse this as nothing more than theatre to give him cover. As long as he keeps doing whatever Trump asks there is no evidence of even a single vertebrae. 

A fairly standard add from Alaska's Senator Dan Sullivan appeared on my Facebook - one of the 'help me keep the evil liberals at bay' type deals.  He got roasted in the comments, and many of the people lighting the fires were republicans.  The impeachment thing and blind toadyism did not go over well at all. 

maybe a teeny tiny alarm bell for Koch brothers type conservatives?  (Sullivan is basically wholly owned by them)

Michael Bloomberg on twitter this evening:

"If it's any consolotion, his tweets make it impossible for him to do his job too"

2 hours ago, Paladin of Ice said:

Me too.  They weren't about to have her, Them, Those and Their's.  Certainly the media wasn't about to have her, that's for sure, and sure as hell bloomie wasn't.  It was with her rise in the polls that he made up his mind he HAD to jump in and up and down on his billions and billions trampoline.

~~

Ya why are people excited about Barr's comments?  Because the MEDIA CAPTIONS THEM INCORRECTLY.  He wasn't criticizing what Trump told him to do, he was criticizing Trump for telling the world that's what he wanted and told him to do.  And DOJ people are quitting on Barr's DOJ and that doesn't, not really, no it does not, make for a good look across the board and future for Barr.

Edited by Zorral

22 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Michael Bloomberg on twitter this evening:

"If it's any consolotion, his tweets make it impossible for him to do his job too"

Bloomberg isn't my #1, but I have to admit that's a pretty sick burn.