Sign in to follow this  
Angel Eyes

Why Daenerys as the Mad Queen?

Sometimes I wonder why D&D wanted Daenerys as the Mad Queen who burned down King's Landing for Season 8, since we already had a Mad Queen in play who ticked a bunch of the boxes who's named Cersei.

• Paranoic? Check.
  • Incestuous with sibling? Check.
  • Liked to use wildfire? Check.
  • Alienated a number of the highest lords in the land? Check.

It would have been pretty consistent if we had Cersei be the Mad Queen and when Daenerys showed up with her dragon (or two), Cersei sets off the rest of the wildfire (dunno if Daenerys is immune), if they didn't want Daenerys on the Iron Throne.

Being real, the signs of Dany's madness were always there. "Those who would harm you will die screaming" was a line as early as season 1. Jorah, Barristan and Tyrion routinely had to talk her out of questionable things, and didn't always succeed. 

Dany going Mad Queen isn't what irked at least me. It was more how it was done. Instead of having the Bells just trigger her somehow, have the Lannister army surrender and ring the bells. As Dany's army is moving into the city and disarming them, Cersei orders a final scorpion on the Red Keep to take a shot at Dany. This infuriates her and she burns a trail to the Red Keep and burns it. This act sets off Cersei's wildfire caches, which quickly spreads and burns down King's Landing. You get a despicable act, one that gets people questioning her, without completely marring the character. Evil in this show was supposed to be more gray and less black and white. 

This would've presented a more questionable and interesting scenario as people argue if it was Dany's fault or not even as she's talking about purging al those who resisted her in Westeros.

1 hour ago, Lord Lannister said:

Being real, the signs of Dany's madness were always there. "Those who would harm you will die screaming" was a line as early as season 1. Jorah, Barristan and Tyrion routinely had to talk her out of questionable things, and didn't always succeed. 

Dany going Mad Queen isn't what irked at least me. It was more how it was done. Instead of having the Bells just trigger her somehow, have the Lannister army surrender and ring the bells. As Dany's army is moving into the city and disarming them, Cersei orders a final scorpion on the Red Keep to take a shot at Dany. This infuriates her and she burns a trail to the Red Keep and burns it. This act sets off Cersei's wildfire caches, which quickly spreads and burns down King's Landing. You get a despicable act, one that gets people questioning her, without completely marring the character. Evil in this show was supposed to be more gray and less black and white. 

This would've presented a more questionable and interesting scenario as people argue if it was Dany's fault or not even as she's talking about purging al those who resisted her in Westeros.

Is that any more mad than Tyrion saying "I wish I was the monster you say I am.  I wish I had poison for all of you"?

People make threats, under stress.  The problem with Daenerys's male advisers is that they so often gave her bad military advice.  Butchering the Wise Masters of Yunkai, once they broke the treaty, would have saved lives.  Hitting the Red Keep on arrival at Dragonstone, would have saved lives.

The scenario I would have preferred to Daenerys becoming an evil monster of pure evilness would be if her soldiers were bogged down in street fighting, which they might lose, and she unleashes dragon fire, killing enemy soldiers and civilians alike.  That keeps the decision to kill innocents a deliberate and conscious one on her part, while giving a plausible military reason for it.

Cersei, Joffrey and Tywin were the best characters on the show. Why whitewash any of her actions? Thats where the good drama is (which I'm sure GRRM will write better). Sometimes people with too much power commit atrocities, in the name of feel good slogans.Writing mass murder rationally, like the actions of someone who has to make "difficult choices," undermines the message of abuse of power. Abuse of power and mass murder is irrational and never a "difficult choice." Also, Dany is a better corollary for the tyrant of the modern era--not Cersei. We have problems right now with strongmen/women feeling that they are justified to do anything they want, in the name of the people, even if it means punishing factions who dont support them. And thats what Dany did. She punished people for not supporting her, and did it in the people's name. When populism becomes tyranny...

Edited by Rose of Red Lake