Differences in Ned's treatment of his daughters

Gvido

57 minutes ago, Chris Mormont said:

While I do believe Ned favors Arya over Sansa, I don't think Ned's reaction in this scene is due to that favoritism. 

Sansa heard the order, and knew what Ned had to do, Sansa went to her room knowing Lady was dead and was comforted by Jeyne and Septa Mordane.  The last person she would want to comfort her would be Ned since he swung the sword.  

His reaction was based on thinking he had to tell Arya.  Arya doesn't have a friend with them, doesn't get along with Mordane and is unpredictable with her mouth and actions.  That all contributes to the dread he felt.

I also don't think his favoritism is his fault.  In addition to Arya looking and acting like Lyanna, Cat obviously favors Sansa, and thus Ned feels he has to overcompensate

I dont necessarily think, Ned favorers Arya, just that he is better able to connect with her and that he apparently doesn't seem to see the need to do that with Sansa since she is the "good girl", even though she acts out in front of him as well a lot. So IMO he should have payed better attention there. But then of course he was under a lot of stress and he probably thought Septa Mordane would be enough for Sansa, which of course isn't true she did not always have such good advice and doesn't substitute a father.

Also Sansa doesn't blame Ned for Lady's death, so I think Sansa would have welcomed his consolation.

Archived