Survivor 40: Winners at War

Scrambled Aegon

38 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Me. Been catching up the past year. I hate that it's just a scavenger hunt now and hope that we see some actual Survivor this year.

Let's be real, Jace wants real survivor. 

• 2 weeks later...

The whole token economy thing is interesting in its own way -- in that alliances who lose a member can give some power back to their alliance.  Does it prevent Pagonging?

It's a good cast.  As tired as I am of seeing some of them the premise wouldn't make sense without them there.

• 4 weeks later...

I would have been so disappointed if Denise didn't do that to Sandra. As soon as Sandra said gimme two coins and Denise was like, one before and one after.... I thought hell yes, an idol for one coin because now she has even more incentive to vote her out. Sandra just got too comfortable being the queen, even said that Denise was an after thought during tribal council. Glad to see sit out Sandra leave.

The two greatest to ever do it gone in one night. Satisfying. Parvati had no chance. Yule is her goddamn kryptonite. But Denise gained much prestige in my eyes. The moment Sandra handed her that idol I turned to my bestie and declared "bye bitch!"

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Looking like this is Tony's the lose.

Yeah I think he wins. He still has a hidden idol in his back pocket as does his partner Ben. What I do not like is edge of ext player coming back this late in the game, and potentially coming back with an idol. I really would not be happy if the person voted out first came back and won it. Spend 3 days in the game, miss 30 days then come back in with an idol and make it to the finale??? I don't mind the fire token thing, and I don't hate the edge, but bring that one person back sooner so they are actually a part of the game.

I still don't like it, but least they're actually doing stuff on edge of extinction this time.  The fire token economy is slightly interesting.  And isn't it pretty much the same point the guy reentered the last time?  I thought he came back with five left and became the sixth?

I really enjoyed the discussion last night about how hard it is for a lot of them to readapt to trusting people in the real world.

On 3/20/2020 at 2:59 PM, Jace, Basilissa said:

The two greatest to ever do it gone in one night. Satisfying. Parvati had no chance. Yule is her goddamn kryptonite. But Denise gained much prestige in my eyes. The moment Sandra handed her that idol I turned to my bestie and declared "bye bitch!"

Jace, please forward me your last twenty years worth of notes on this show. I think I only watched the first 3-4 seasons.

It's been a good season, but I'm pretty disappointed in the group left at the end.

In part because I feel like some of them are just blindly handing this to Tony, without recognizing that they probably can't beat him if he's in the final three.  This is supposed to be the best of the best, a season of champions who have been through it all before.  They should be experienced enough to realize that facing Tony at the end is a death sentence.  But they're just going along as if 2nd/3rd/4th is good enough.

Sarah I can understand a little bit.  She probably thinks she's equal partners with Tony.  But Michelle was right that perception is reality, and Sarah should have been more willing to listen to that and consider it, instead of just throwing her under the bus.  Plus, Tony has one over on her, in that he identified Sophie as Sarah's ally and a threat to him, and he got rid of her while keeping Sarah out of the decision.

And meanwhile, Denise and Nick are playing/played this so badly.  And Ben is just a complete idiot.  Horrible process and gameplay from all three of them.  They would have all had a chance in a final 3 that included them and/or Michelle.  But I think they're clearly way behind Tony (and likely Sarah too).

I'm not a fan of the Edge of Extinction twist in a normal season, but - (1) I haven't minded it much this year, because these are returning champs who I wanted to see for more than a couple of episodes, so I've been happy for them to stay involved, and (2) at this point, I think I might end up cheering for whoever returns to the game. 

Never thought I'd say that, but at the very least its possible for me.  Sarah is one of my least favorite players.  Ben and Denise don't deserve it at all, based on how they've handled Tony, as mentioned above.  Tony does deserve it - there's no question, and part of me is okay with him winning because of that.  But I tend to root for the underdog in general, and the way he's dominated the last few weeks makes it difficult for me to really want to see it happen.

That leaves me with Michelle, who is probably my top hope.  And whoever comes back into the game.  But I don't see how either would manage to pull it off, unless Tony somehow loses in the fire making challenge in the final 4.

I would hope like hell that Michelle doesn't win it like this again. She has been on the wrong side of every vote, played her advantage wrong and generally sucks at challenges. So, outwit, nope, because she is always on wrong side of votes. Out play, nope see previous comment and challenge participation. Outlast, yeah, because no one sees her as a threat.

Realistically Tony should win unless he gets taken out at the last vote. Ben and Michelle are the two Tony should try to have in the final three with him because I can't see either of them getting more than one vote. Ben made his case for being a final three goat this last episode. He has never received an advantage from the edge only a disadvantage, and he has never received a voted out players fire token, that just screams take me to the finale and you won't regret it.

Denise was looking like a strong candidate but seems to have fallen off the map recently. Sarah can win I think, but only if she takes out Tony. 

On 5/7/2020 at 5:27 AM, dbunting said:

Yeah I think he wins. He still has a hidden idol in his back pocket as does his partner Ben. What I do not like is edge of ext player coming back this late in the game, and potentially coming back with an idol. I really would not be happy if the person voted out first came back and won it. Spend 3 days in the game, miss 30 days then come back in with an idol and make it to the finale??? I don't mind the fire token thing, and I don't hate the edge, but bring that one person back sooner so they are actually a part of the game.

Well Tony won and I believe rightfully so. He never got a single vote cast against him, which is pretty amazing in it's own right, found hidden idol, defeated a sabotage, won four individual immunity challenges, oh and took out his ally in fire making challenge to get to the finale. The scenes where he was trying to convince Sarah and Ben that Natalie had an idol were great, and Sarah must feel like an idiot from that edit. She was saying stuff like I know what's going on, I see all and Tony is just paranoid....oops. It cost Tony his idol but he was experienced enough to hold his tongue and not rub it in to their faces after.

Can't believe I almost nailed this with Natalie coming back after only spending 2 days (not even 3) in the actual game of survivor. I would have been very disappointed if she had won it. She definitely earned her way back by dominating the Edge but had three advantages and still barely won her challenge. Then instead of taking on Tony and slaying him like a boss, she sat back and relied on Sarah. Rob said it, if she had taken out Tony it would have been a whole different ending.

The final tribal was very different this year and I assume it's because they have all won before and know what it's like. The only one who seemed to not give credit to Tony or be bitter was Jeremy. The rest of the jury was pretty complimentary. 

Spoilers for the finale as I type this post while watching it.

My god, Michelle destroyed the other five on that first immunity challenge at the end.  She was so far behind and just walks up and embarrassed the rest of them.  Natalie's physical prowess after being on exile the entire game is so impressive.

Sarah before that first tribal council was hilarious.  "In the day that she's been back I'm formed such a close bond with Natalie that she would have told me if she had an idol."

Wow, that Ben and Sarah talk before the second tribal was great.  (But I still think he's an ass and don't like how he treated Jeremy all game.)

Thought Sarah had it in the bag with the way they had been editing her up until that fire making.  If Tony doesn't win this...  Even if he does, I hope they don't ever do exile island again. 

Natalie did do a hell of a job in the final tribal discussing how hard she worked while on exile, but yeah, like Rob said, she should have taken out Tony.  

2 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Sarah before that first tribal council was hilarious.  "In the day that she's been back I'm formed such a close bond with Natalie that she would have told me if she had an idol."

Yeah thats what I was referring to, Sarah made such definitive statements in that "confessional" that it showed how out of touch with the situation she really was.

End of the day, the right person ended up winning.  Tony was the best player this season and he deserved it.

Still kind of amazed at how many good players were so blinded to reality and/or willing to hand it over to him though.

Tony played virtually a perfect game with the additional component of being in a platonic power couple. My list of preferred winners going in was

Parv

Sophie

Sarah

Yul

Ethan/Amber/Rob/Sandra

It crushed me when Tony killed Sophie, but it was a stroke of brilliance. It bound Sarah to him forever, and Sophie never would have let Tony past the top six. Essentially the same thing Russell did to Parvati in HvV by axing Danielle.

All that said Sarah got tunnel vision at the end and her stubbornness/loyalty were too great to overcome. Great season. Easily the best re-enter the game gimmick application since Pearl Islands. I really might kill for a version of Survivor with no do-overs and minimal advantages. Scavenger Hunt Island isn't what I want to see.

Archived