Narcos: Mexico Season 2, With Tigers.

Martell Spy

The problems seem to derive from the writers' inability to find a through line for their overall narrative - plot driver.  So the editors jump from one place to another, to one character to another, to one time line, even, to another.  The viewers never get a chance to settle with anything or anyone, and it's difficult to tell one character from another.

This seems to settle a bit as we move into the season, about the time of half way through the 3rd episode.

18 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Yeah I’m like halfway through the season. The DEA side of things has been extremely flat. None of the DEA characters are interesting.
But I’m loving the Tijuana vs Sinaloa stuff and Pacho Herrera has stolen two episodes already.

Scoot McNairy not interesting?I'm sorry your not interested.You should be.

34 minutes ago, redriver said:

Scoot McNairy not interesting?I'm sorry your not interested.You should be.

He’s a good actor but his character is very bland and his entire crew is forgettable. Tbf Pena has been the only DEA agent on the series that has actually been compelling imo

I think the DEA side of things is a necessary evil I go along with as it helps form the narrative. But it's the Narcos that keep me vested in and following the franchise. Let's face it there's any one of a hundred cops and robbers, whitehat/blackhat shows we can view anytime. But for me this is about honestly acknowledging and pondering the absolute failure of the drug war. Were this just another "Miami Vice-ish" type series where it just wanted to show us good guys "winning" bs, I don't think I could respect it at all or be bothered to follow this.

The series seems to be decently forthright in acknowledging the shortcomings of the state/law enforcement/DEA in the face of a very ruthless adversary. To do otherwise would be a complete mockery of the very real, very violent and corrupt history of the cartels. It can't be about the successes when it's still a huge ongoing trade with no end or even slowing anywhere on the horizon. That has to be the realistic narrative or its a disservice.

At its worst, this show is still pretty good... Scoot McNairy & Diego Luna are terrific in their roles... I think that A-list shows are --sometimes unfairly-- burdened with their prior success.... It;s like a 25-3 cy-young winner who  goes 18-8 the next season, and everyone complains...lol 

Does Acosta's GF remind anyone else of Maggie from the Walking Dead?

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I think the DEA side of things is a necessary evil I go along with as it helps form the narrative. But it's the Narcos that keep me vested in and following the franchise. Let's face it there's any one of a hundred cops and robbers, whitehat/blackhat shows we can view anytime. But for me this is about honestly acknowledging and pondering the absolute failure of the drug war. Were this just another "Miami Vice-ish" type series where it just wanted to show us good guys "winning" bs, I don't think I could respect it at all or be bothered to follow this.

The series seems to be decently forthright in acknowledging the shortcomings of the state/law enforcement/DEA in the face of a very ruthless adversary. To do otherwise would be a complete mockery of the very real, very violent and corrupt history of the cartels. It can't be about the successes when it's still a huge ongoing trade with no end or even slowing anywhere on the horizon. That has to be the realistic narrative or its a disservice.

And that's what it does I would say. The DEA does not win this war, we know that.This season depicts what they are up against.

Not just the drug machine, but their own affiliate agencies.If the CIA want to prop up a corrupt right wing dictator, then your anti drug operation goes out the window.

The season is an accurate reflection of the meta events in Mexico 1985-1990.

Spoiler

It was fascinating to see the real politique of election fraud happening 30 plus years ago.We tend to think this was invented 10 years ago along with procreation.

Question for those who have finished this season, which I haven't yet done:

Spoiler

That bone chilling opener to I think the 6th episode in which the little kids kill the maid, and her kill her execution style -- whose kids are they?  does anyone ever notice or care?  From the moment that scene opened I feared something awful was going to happen, but surely, I thought, that kid is carrying that rifle so easily, it has to be a toy, because, real rifles, at least as I've known them, are really heavy, and larger -- this one even looks like a toy. And then --

-

17 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

IMO, not enough narration this season... it fills in a lot of the gaps for idiots like me

https://collider.com/narcos-mexico-season-2-ending-explained/

The season sets the table for a bloody civil war between the surviving factions. We've just watched the more "peaceful era" end.

4 hours ago, Chad Vader said:

Well, if you know anything about Chapos story then you know it’s perfect for tv. Dude escaped twice!

Been covered now, at least twice.In his own show.

If he escapes from his current incarceration then I will definately tune in!!

Archived