Football: winter break over

Iskaral Pust

That's proper embarrassing. Though as I think we are pretty much safe I'm happy for arsenal to give it a go to get 4th or 5th for champions league place. 

Though if Leicester, Sheffield Utd and Wolves got the places I would piss myself. 

27 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Pardon my ignorance:

Is there any history or story as to why none of the London area clubs have London in their club names when having one's city in the name is so common overall in EPL?  Man U, Man City, Newcastle, Liverpool, etc...vs. Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham, etc...seems too pointed as to be accidental.  

Because they're all the teams of areas within London (although Arsenal moved) rather than of London as a whole and none of them were ever widely supported enough to realistically call themselves the team of London before the names had pretty much stuck.

Yeah and it's really more the other way around. Liverpool started off as Everton (being a spin-off club of the original Everton). Manchester United started off as Newton Heath, and Man City as West Gorton. Newcastle is a merger of Stanley and Newcastle West End, and Birmingham were Small Heath. Those clubs changed their names for marketing and presumably bragging reasons as they started to take more dominant positions in the broader city, but with London being so big and having so many high-level clubs there'd never have been any single club where it made sense to claim the title, especially since none of them actually hail from the City of London.

16 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

FWIW, I think the decissive game for the season was their home win against City with the not given handpenalty against Arnold, after which Liverpool scored on the counter. If the penalty had been given and City had won that game, the season might have unfolded differently. But that's an academic discussion, and another point that will be forgotten in ten years time.

You mean like its generally forgotten it ricocheted off the City player's arm first (was it Silva?), which would mean an automatic free kick to Liverpool, which meant Arnold's hand ball didn't matter anyway? 

54 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Jones I understand, though they offer different things, but Elliott is 16. He's good for 16, but that's about as far as I'd go for the moment.

Agreed.  With Lallana and Shaq probably departing, Milner aging, and all of Henderson, Gini, Mane, Firmino and Salah around age 29 next season, it’s time to start trying out a next generation.  Elliott is very good but still a few years off playing consistently in a senior team.  Jones is probably ready for more involvement, but untested outside of cup games.  They should not prevent us from adding other young players like Minamino or possibly Cantwell, Timo Werner or Jadon Sancho, or whoever else we consider.  Klopp never likes a huge squad but this is the time to add some players in the 21-25 range so they have a chance to integrate before the older players decline. 

10 hours ago, ants said:

You mean like its generally forgotten it ricocheted off the City player's arm first (was it Silva?), which would mean an automatic free kick to Liverpool, which meant Arnold's hand ball didn't matter anyway? 

Not really, while I don't think the City player's handball was punishable (except when they had scored a goal), the Arnold handball on the other hand (no pun intended), let's just say, I really think Liverpool got more than a bit lucky there. But fact of the matter is, City didn't get the penalty, Liverpool scored and won that game, never looked back and just went on cruise mode towards the title. And it doesn'T really matter one way or the other. Full credit to Liverpool, it's just a freaking impressive season.

Archived