Football: winter break over

Iskaral Pust

I think it's absolutely valid to remind the Liverpool fans here that you are watching what is, without a shadow of a doubt, the best Liverpool team there has been in my lifetime and almost certainly the best Liverpool team you will ever see in yours. 

Like any great team, it can't go on for ever. You can certainly spend the blessed time while it does endure complaining about the midfield selection in away games if you want, but as a neutral I just try to enjoy it while it lasts. 

2 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Right, sorry, I forgot - Klopp is infallible. I should bow down before him lest he smite me down. *YNWA* ALL HAIL JURGEN! *YNWA*

He doesn't make many mistakes but he does make some. I get the feeling that sometimes he values earnestness over ability a little too much, for one.

You certainly should bow down before him. He's had you to 2 CL finals and won a league title and been second when any other year they would have won, all with minimal net outgoings, and a pleasing manner.

You should accept that he knows more about football than all of you combined and probably has valid reasons for his decisions, and knowledge of his squad that you dont. 

Liverpool only lost 1-0 with possibly their worst performance of the season - Atleti should be the ones disappointed for failing to capitalise more on a poor performance that is very unlikely to be repeated in the 2nd leg. Atleti need to score an away goal or two to have any hope at all and that is far from a given since scoring goals has been a massive problem for them this season. Liverpool are still overwhelming favourites to go through.

My thinking is that it is very unlikely VVD and Gomez have as poor (by their standards) a game as they did in the first leg. An away goal would make it more difficult for Liverpool but Atleti have been horrid in front of goal this season so I'm not counting on them scoring unless Liverpool shoot themselves in the foot. I'd even go as far as saying that Atleti need to score two away goals. 

I just think it is unreasonable to expect people not to say anything but good things about the team they support no matter the run they've been on. Fans moan, fans criticize, I mean we're all part of this discussion board because we like talking about football and criticism is part of that.

I think the one criticism of Klopp for last night was that he didn't make any positive changes. Liverpool rely heavily on Trent to create but he had an off day and there wasn't anyone in midfield who could pick up the creative slack - Partey being immense also contributed to that. Looking at creative options on the bench, there was Keita, Ox and Minamino but only one of them (Ox) was brought on.

On the flip side, one could also argue that Klopp did the right thing by playing it conservatively and taking a 1-0 loss rather than having a go and potentially conceding a second especially since Gomez and VVD were a bit off their games as well. Given Liverpool's home record and the extent to which the players seem to be inspired by the home crowd, a one goal deficit going into the home leg is not a bad position at all.

As a Liverpool fan, and one who's constantly being told by mates that I'm too critical of my own team, reading the posts on here is a trip.

As Mormont said, this is a ridiculously good side which will go down in history as one of the greatest ever (barring some spring collaps (*knock on wood*)). Reading these threads, you'd think they were struggling to qualify for Europe next season. Salah's shit, Gini's shit, Bobby's shit, Origi's shit, Hendo's shit, Mané's shit, what is Klopp thinking, etc.

Obviously everyone has the right to their opinion, but the freedom of expression includes the freedom to comment on those opinions. And the armchair general-meter is through the roof. No one is saying Klopp is perfect (ok, maybe I am), but the negativity from certain fellow fans is mind boggling, to put it politely.

1 hour ago, Raja said:

Yeah, it's weird to see Klopp being part of the celebration police, tbh.

Yeah Robertson too said something about how they celebrated as if they won the final. Comes off very sore loserish. 

Not to question the mighty Klopp but hopefully he plays Naby or Ox in midfield in the return leg. If TAA’s delivery is as poor as it was yesterday then we will need our midfield to pick up some of the creative burden which was never gonna happen yesterday with that midfield trio. (Didn’t help that Partey absolutely bossed them around). 

45 minutes ago, Mme Erzulie said:

the freedom of expression includes the freedom to comment on those opinions.

And people are telling you not to comment on said opinions where exactly?

Like this whole 'you can't even question klopp because we're on a winning streak so you should stop moaning and not state what you the manager or the team could have been done better' attitude is bizarre, especially on the back of a poor performance.

7 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Origi looked like he does in 95% of games. Utterly clueless. That he sometimes scores an important tap-in doesn't negate the fact that he's probably the most football-dumb player in our squad.

The only times he's effective is when we get the chance to counter attack, and he gets to run into space without having to engage his brain. Bringing him on last night was a poor decision.

Maybe, but who else could he have brought in as a striker? Mane was pretty uninspired, too, and would have likely gotten himself sent off in the 2nd half. I missed the games were Minamino played more than 10 minutes, so I don't know how good he is.

47 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Yeah Robertson too said something about how they celebrated as if they won the final. Comes off very sore loserish. 

I mean, Atletico's whole thing is pretty much that they're massively cynical arseholes who're horrible to play against and they openly acknowledge it so it's not particularly surprising that Liverpool players don't view them in a positive light. 

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

Maybe, but who else could he have brought in as a striker? Mane was pretty uninspired, too, and would have likely gotten himself sent off in the 2nd half. I missed the games were Minamino played more than 10 minutes, so I don't know how good he is.

On the left side? Ox or Minamino would both have been better options, as both can play through tight spaces and pick out a pass.

Archived