Football: winter break over

Iskaral Pust

6 hours ago, ants said:

But that does imply that City can't just boost those revenues to make up a CL shortfall.  

They could and also the financial doping has gotten them into a position where the club can pull in legitimate commercial partners. It's been the same for PSG - Qatar sponsors used to make up the majority of their revenue but that is no longer the case. Also, Uefa only reduced PSG's related party sponsorship income to a "fair value" which was determined by independent consultants. Those related party transactions are not excluded entirely from FFP calculations. 

1 minute ago, Soylent Brown said:

A shame as he's been in good form lately, but at least we have pretty much everyone else fit for now.

He has been in great form.  And so weird that it comes right after a two week break for him.  Hopefully Keita and Ox can step up, and Fabinho can shake off the rust. 

Klopp tells young Man Utd fan 'I can't make Liverpool lose' :D

A young Manchester United fan who made a bid to stop Liverpool winning the title has been left shocked after Jurgen Klopp sent him a personal reply.Daragh Curley, from County Donegal, wrote to the Liverpool boss for a school assignment.The 10-year-old asked if it would be possible for Liverpool to lose some games so they would not win the league.

Klopp said the letter had been "cheeky" and he had written the response privately."I cannot answer all the letters, I get a lot," said Klopp, speaking at a press conference on Friday."But it was nice, it was cheeky. We had time that day so I read the letter and I replied.

In the letter, Klopp praised Daragh's passion, but explaining Liverpool could not drop points on his behalf.

Daragh's dad Gordon told BBC News NI that while most of his classmates were writing fan letters, Daragh instead decided to write a letter of complaint to the Liverpool boss.

In the letter, the Glenswilly National School pupil wrote: "Liverpool are winning too many games. If you win nine more games then you have the best unbeaten run in English football. Being a United fan that is very sad.

"So the next time Liverpool play, please make them lose. You should just let the other team score. I hope I have convinced you to not win the league or any other match ever again."

We seen the joke of a situation in spain where Barcelona are allowed to sign Braithwaite from Leganes under emergency transfer rules coz of Dembele's injury, but Leganes- having not been able to do anything to stop it coz Barca met the buyout clause- are denied permission to replace him because he's not been injured? Fucking joke.

35 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

We seen the joke of a situation in spain where Barcelona are allowed to sign Braithwaite from Leganes under emergency transfer rules coz of Dembele's injury, but Leganes- having not been able to do anything to stop it coz Barca met the buyout clause- are denied permission to replace him because he's not been injured? Fucking joke.

Yes, that rule is a total joke. At least Bartomeu looked suitably embarrassed about it and said the rule should be abolished. It's ridiculous that Barca have both Messi and Griezmann fit, they also have Ansu Fati who has played a good amount this season and done well and they pushed Coutinho out of the club on loan but injuries to Suarez and Dembele and all of a sudden it is deemed an 'emergency' where they can sign someone outside of the transfer window but Leganes cannot replace their top goal scorer and assister. 

Unsurprisingly Spurs barely threatened Chelsea at all in that game. Going 5 at the back and sitting back was predictable but Chelsea didnt give Spurs any space to break into either. Even when Spurs pushed forward a bit later on they didn't get anywhere near to scoring. Hard to see where goals are gonna come from, other than freak own goals.

It's a fucking embarrassment for VAR to now say they got the decision wrong. That was an obvious red card and they looked at the replay so many times only to still get it wrong. It really seems like english referees are deliberately sabotaging the use of video technology so that it gets done away with.

Why even use it if you're going to give blatantly incorrect decisions/ have the same consistency as you did without it? Zero idea why Oliver isn't looking at the screen given that it was right there.

And I haven't even looked at the Bournemouth game yet.

4 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Yes, that rule is a total joke. At least Bartomeu looked suitably embarrassed about it and said the rule should be abolished. It's ridiculous that Barca have both Messi and Griezmann fit, they also have Ansu Fati who has played a good amount this season and done well and they pushed Coutinho out of the club on loan but injuries to Suarez and Dembele and all of a sudden it is deemed an 'emergency' where they can sign someone outside of the transfer window but Leganes cannot replace their top goal scorer and assister. 

Yeah, it's a confluence of factors - the compulsory buyout clause in the league rules, normally a good idea IMO, played a part here too because it meant Leganes were powerless to prevent the player leaving. But in general, I'm against emergency signings being allowed at all. I can see why a point might be stretched for goalkeepers in a genuine emergency but for outfield players, it should never be allowed. Play your kids. Change your tactics. Play someone out of position. You always have alternatives.

Archived