Football: winter break over

Iskaral Pust

Do you think Pogba will bounce back from his period off the radar at United and succeed as an elite player?

I think he should have the ability to be successful if surrounded by a strong cast, but there’s at least some chance that he ends up like Coutinho: a bit of a luxury player without enough consistency to really justify it. 

7 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Do you think Pogba will bounce back from his period off the radar at United and succeed as an elite player?

I think he should have the ability to be successful if surrounded by a strong cast, but there’s at least some chance that he ends up like Coutinho: a bit of a luxury player without enough consistency to really justify it. 

At United, it's very unlikely. Pogba is not the sort of player who can prop up a poor side. The only way he could fulfil his potential at United is if the club pull their shit together and assemble a quality squad around him. I think it's too late for him at United - through sheer incompetence we've managed the impressive feat of spending €450m but ending up with a worse squad than we had when Pogba joined in 2016. If he moves to Real Madrid or Juventus at the end of the season then I could see him becoming regarded as one of the top CMs. 

3 hours ago, Consigliere said:

At United, it's very unlikely. Pogba is not the sort of player who can prop up a poor side. The only way he could fulfil his potential at United is if the club pull their shit together and assemble a quality squad around him. I think it's too late for him at United - through sheer incompetence we've managed the impressive feat of spending €450m but ending up with a worse squad than we had when Pogba joined in 2016. If he moves to Real Madrid or Juventus at the end of the season then I could see him becoming regarded as one of the top CMs. 

I meant outside of United.  I took it as given that he’ll leave this summer, although it remains to be seen who’ll be willing to pay a big fee for him.

17 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Bukayo Saka crosses like David Beckham and dribbles like Ryan Giggs it's very unfair.

Also I missed our game but Greenwood is a menace in that area around the edge of the box. Good to hear Bruno's continuing to settle in.

Never know, Arsenal can't seem to get him to sign a contract so might be available to United soon enough. I loved Arsenal's 2nd goal, very reminiscent of Arsenal of old which was nice to see. Also frustrating in a way since Auba makes those kinds of runs all the time and is never found.

Everton right now are the king of the flying boots. Leno pussed out on that 2nd.

It was a fun game yesterday, the only sad part being that we lost (oh, and Sidibe isn't really a very good defensive player. But we all knew that).

Very good to see Gomes back. It was a nice contrast to the set of central midfielders already cluttering up the field. 

We should probably clear out that departement come summer.

ETA: so a quick look says that Stekelenburg, Baines, Martina and Niasse (plus Sidibé, who's on loan) are out of contract in the summer. Baines is probably worth another contract if he wants it, Sidibé perhaps (but Kenny may be a better option long term). The rest will leave. 

Hope we can also offload Schneiderlin (one year left) and Walcott (same). Delph and Sigurdsson have two years left, and I can't see them in much demand.

51 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

Sidibe isn't really a very good defensive player. But we all knew that

He was so bad. I know Saka is a handful to deal with but Sidibe's positionng throughout the game was all wrong. It looked like he made plenty of last ditch tackles though, but I think his starting positions being terrible makes his job so much harder.

I feel like Tom Davis would have been more suitable last night than Schneiderlin. Andre Gomes is class though.

Archived