Football: winter break over

Iskaral Pust

1 hour ago, Raja said:

He was so bad. I know Saka is a handful to deal with but Sidibe's positionng throughout the game was all wrong. It looked like he made plenty of last ditch tackles though, but I think his starting positions being terrible makes his job so much harder.

I feel like Tom Davis would have been more suitable last night than Schneiderlin. Andre Gomes is class though.

Having seen him a bit this season, I feel he's picked for his attacking contributions. He is a lot better at passing and crossing than what Coleman is. However, that means we'll have to deal with his at times horrible positioning. He does last-ditch tackling rather well, but I reckon that's simply years of practice. 

As for Davies and Schneiderlin, I think it comes down to simliar players. Schneiderlin is our only out-and-out DM (with Gbamin out), whereas Davies is more similar to Delph, and neither can be trusted to run the DM role. 

For that matter, neither can Gomes, but he is simply miles better at QBing the team and running the tempo.

1 minute ago, Rorshach said:

Having seen him a bit this season, I feel he's picked for his attacking contributions. He is a lot better at passing and crossing than what Coleman is. However, that means we'll have to deal with his at times horrible positioning. He does last-ditch tackling rather well, but I reckon that's simply years of practice. 

As for Davies and Schneiderlin, I think it comes down to simliar players. Schneiderlin is our only out-and-out DM (with Gbamin out), whereas Davies is more similar to Delph, and neither can be trusted to run the DM role. 

For that matter, neither can Gomes, but he is simply miles better at QBing the team and running the tempo.

It's actually interesting that we played without a 'dm' yesterday and just had Ceballos/ Ozil/ Xhaka in the middle as opposed to a recognized DM. It just seemed like so much of a transition game that I think Davies would have done well given the space out there yesterday.

I guess Sidibe has room to improve, he's 27 so not super young but he easily has at least 3 years in him.

2 minutes ago, Raja said:

It's actually interesting that we played without a 'dm' yesterday and just had Ceballos/ Ozil/ Xhaka in the middle as opposed to a recognized DM. It just seemed like so much of a transition game that I think Davies would have done well given the space out there yesterday.

I guess Sidibe has room to improve, he's 27 so not super young but he easily has at least 3 years in him.

Quite possible. I would have started Gomes if so, but it could have worked. I am also of the opinion that Iwobi will be a better 10 than a winger, all told (I'm probably wrong there, I often am), and would have gone with a midfield with Bernard starting. Not sure I could make it a 4-4-2, though.

As for Sidibé, I think he'd need a different manager. Coleman was just about as suspect defensively when he arrived, but with a very defensive minded manager in Moyes he evolved and became very reliable. I can't see Ancelotti changing Sidibé now. 

Which means that RB is a conundrum for next season. 

1 minute ago, Rorshach said:

Quite possible. I would have started Gomes if so, but it could have worked. I am also of the opinion that Iwobi will be a better 10 than a winger, all told (I'm probably wrong there, I often am), and would have gone with a midfield with Bernard starting. Not sure I could make it a 4-4-2, though.

As for Sidibé, I think he'd need a different manager. Coleman was just about as suspect defensively when he arrived, but with a very defensive minded manager in Moyes he evolved and became very reliable. I can't see Ancelotti changing Sidibé now. 

Which means that RB is a conundrum for next season. 

I find Everton's shape with and without the ball really interesting. It was described as a 442 but on the pitch it didn't look it - the wide players were tucking in to make 4 in the middle, with the two strikers pulling wide. I thought we would dominate the central areas but we were outnumbered as on the ball, Everton don't really play a 4-4-2. Plus, you also had Delph dropping deep into a LB position to get on the ball.

Hah - you could put a cheeky bid in for Maitland Niles

9 minutes ago, Raja said:

I find Everton's shape with and without the ball really interesting. It was described as a 442 but on the pitch it didn't look it - the wide players were tucking in to make 4 in the middle, with the two strikers pulling wide. I thought we would dominate the central areas but we were outnumbered as on the ball, Everton don't really play a 4-4-2. Plus, you also had Delph dropping deep into a LB position to get on the ball.

Hah - you could put a cheeky bid in for Maitland Niles

I think it's sort of a 4-4-2, at least attacking-wise (Richarlison is generally centrally placed), but both strikers tend to draw to the sidelines when the ball comes upfield, and in defending it seems sort of disorganized at times. 

That's another reason to play Iwobi centrally, btw - all of Richarlison, Bernard and Walcott are more diciplined at tracking back. Iwobi in front of Sidibé is .. troublesome. 

Maitland-Niles? Better than Sidibé at any rate :)

Archived