Football: winter break over

Iskaral Pust

Real/City has been a good contest. City looked in a spot of bother for the first 20 minutes or so as Real pressed aggressively high up the pitch which resulted in City struggling to play their way out and were resorting to hoofball. Real eventually reined in on the high pressing and City came into the game more. Losing Laporte is a blow. Real need to get Kroos on asap - his vision, range of passing and ability to dictate the play/tempo is needed. 

Switched over now and again to watch Lyon/Juve. From what I've seen, Juve are lucky to be going in only 1-0 down. They've been atrocious. Sarri has made Juve worse - I've even stopped watching Juve games in Serie A because it's just not worth it. 

27 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Mendy is so shit. It's hard to believe he ever played well enough for a sustained period that someone would pay £50m for him.

He was incredible for Monaco in the 16/17 season. Before that, he was a strong link for Marseille too. But yeah, it's really that season when Monaco got the spark with their CL campaign, that inflated his price so heavily. Hadn't been City, I actually think that another PL side would have gladly thrown the 50M for him.

City score a penalty!

I think Guardiola was trying to be too clever with that weird 4-4-2 they were playing. City are just a better team than Real, they should have just backed themselves to win with their normal style. Since they've brought Sterling on and moved Jesus central Madrid haven't looked like keeping them contained.

ETA: :lol: Fuck off Ramos.

In fairness there's not a lot in that.

Zidane had a 'mare as well. It's shocking to me that Kroos never came on especially when City started dominating play. Bringing Bale on for Vinicius was another poor call as Bale has been trash all season and hasn't looked all that interested in quite a while. Huge away result for City - their biggest result in CL. That might be the game that really makes the City players believe they could win this competition.

ETA. Huge result for Lyon as well. Well deserved too based on what I've seen. 

Should City be favorites now for the CL?  Their defense is still a bit suspect, but their attack makes them a favorite in each game they play.  Their ceiling is higher than Liverpool’s, but their floor is lower.  So a lot depends on whether they can deliver some consistency in CL games.  But two-legged ties given them a chance to overcome a bad game. 

Bayern are probably strong contenders, assuming Lewandowski is back for the next round.  But they’ll have a tight title chase with less room for resting players. 

Barca and RM both look beatable, but always have the star power to pull out wins. 

Liverpool have a tough battle against Atletico.  There’s a danger that Liverpool have settled into a groove of doing just enough to win PL games by a narrow margin, and cannot raise their game enough for the CL.  We’ll have to see. 

The other teams have some exciting attacking play — like Atalanta, RB Leipzig, Dortmund, PSG — and there are some cagey, difficult-to-beat teams like Napoli.  But for any of them to win would require them going much further than they’ve been able to for a long time (or ever).

7 hours ago, Corvinus said:

So who get more grief until the return leg? Liverpool fans from City fans? Or Real fans from Atletico fans? :D

Both City and Atletico need multiple CL titles under their belts before their fans can give grief to Liverpool fans or Real fans. ;) 

11 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Should City be favorites now for the CL?  

No. Liverpool are the favourites. City have a quality side but so do Liverpool and under Klopp Liverpool have never lost a two-legged tie in European competition while City have tended to bottle games they should have won. Guardiola has also tended to overthink things which he did again last night in the first half but it didn't cost him this time. A City/Liverpool final would be a great contest as those are the two best sides in Europe atm. 

:lol: Martial injured himself in training yesterday and is out for an indefinite amount of time. Back down to two recognised forwards, one of whom is Ighalo (who starts today).

On the other hand a midfield of McTominay, Fred and Bruno is niiiice. And I never thought I'd ever be saying that about Fred just a short while ago.

It's been a comfortable half but the odds were in our favour even before the game with Brugge missing two key players in Vormer and Dennis. The sending off has made the game even more comfortable. 

The injury to Martial is unfortunate and par for the course. Hopefully not too serious but with our luck he's probably out for a month or two. 

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I'm starting to think Arteta is a bad manager.

Performances over results, imo. Even though it is early, you can tell that our performances *generally* have gotten better and more pleasing than basically all of Emery's time/ last few wenger years at Arsenal. I defo think there are areas he can improve on though.

We're going to have set backs, and this is the first real one of Arteta's time so far but it's a new manager & a thin squad atm.

Archived